Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

We Invented Jesus Christ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 33>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Doc Holiday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Holiday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

I went to a church once and cringed every time they called Jesus, God. I do not believe that whatsoever.

How familiar are you with Arius of Alexandria? I think that you would agree with some of his views.
Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

I went to a church once and cringed every time they called Jesus, God. I do not believe that whatsoever.

This is the issue between Christians and Muslims.  Muslims are very offended by the wholly Trinity.  They love and respect Jesus but they feel its blasphemy to call him God.     Jews (Old Testament) are still waiting for the Messiah so they just don't accept the divinity of the Christian Jesus at all.   It really is an interesting debate among the Abrahamic religions.

So you see Jesus as the son, not part of a trinity? 
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 6:48pm
The process from believer to non-believer was emotionally and intellectually difficult, though more-so emotionally. Everytime a discussion about the bible came about...like the historical accuracy of the bible, or the deplorable acts sanctioned by God of the bible, or the Old Testament/New Testament disconnect, or science that directly contradicts assertions of the bible, I found myself jumping through hoops trying to explain it away. I participated in all kinds of debates trying to prove the other side wrong, but in hindsight I was really only trying to prove to myself that it made sense on paper. It hardly ever did.

At some point I started avoiding the debates, using excuses where I blamed non-believers for their snarky/know it-all-attitudes (which do existLOL), but it was really just a way of me avoiding having to think about the things that bothered me about religion, like the feelings I would get in the middle of a debate where I found myself defending rape, slavery, genocide, and simultaneously rejecting science, history, and my own sense of morality. It was like a 3 year-period where I avoided having to explain or defend or assert my beliefs. I guess in hindsight, a 3 year-period where I knew I didn't believe anymore, but wasn't ready to be honest to myself about it.

I think a big part of why it was emotionally draining is because my mother is a devout Christian. She puts God first in everything and a part of me wanted that to count for something; for her calling for Jesus to ease the pain episodes to not be in vain. For me to not look at her unwavering faith as silly, and thus look down on her for clinging so tautly to it.

I guess I've come to realize that I control that. It's not in Gods hands or the devils plan or anything else. I can still value what makes her happy and gives her comfort, and discuss the bible with her, and listen to the gospel songs that we love. My unbelief doesn't have to destroy tradition and a system of comfort that exists throughout my family. And even if there are some disputes, it's better than the cognitive dissonance. A lot more liberating.

Me and Christianity was sort of like my relationship with that girl I used to date in my teenage years. I fought so hard for that relationship just to prove people wrong about us lasting. I put up with a bunch of crap, overlooked the signs of decay, stayed with her even though the prospects of the other fish in the sea seemed more attractive, and forced myself to make a dysfunctional, unproductive, bad sex relationship work for the sake of making it work...by the time we did break up, it hit me like...damn.  Why was I so reluctant to get away from you? I don't even like you and I haven't for a long time.

It feels good no longer having to be intellectually dishonest to myself just to "keep the faith" alive. That sh*t used to give me headaches.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Oct 11 2013 at 6:49pm
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 6:50pm
i love that entire post rtHeart
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 6:52pm

Nice Random !! It was like reading my own story.

noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 6:54pm
my thing is this though: not liking the characteristics of god and/or finding scriptural inconsistencies off putting is not enough for me to discount his existence completely. maybe god is just a jerk.
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 6:55pm
if the story is real, he wins at the end regardless though so i aint knocking believers for believing. i just take issue with some of their reluctance to dig deeper. 
journeytolong View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote journeytolong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 6:55pm
Its called freewill and responsibility for your choices. This is what I meant by bashing. People want to bash this and that but if you're really happy with your choice in life then why do you feel the need to have to battle everything out or question someones elses belief. You can't change anyone elses mind but your own. In the end its your path so do what makes you happy, you don't have to knock other people to do that.

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 6:57pm
RT I can relate to everything you posted 100% but I also went through the period of being very angry about all the lies.  I marvel still at all things I was forced to make excuses for.  Not many people realize how painful it is to walk away from something you have believed your whole life.  Yes there are people who casually throw it off but for most of us former Christians the true path out of religion is painful.  Hurt like when Neo took that red pill and it was all over.   The blue pill wouldn't have hurt anything too much because I had no idea. 

I knew at a certain point in my my journey that the evidence was overwhelming and there was nothing left of my old beliefs.  No turning back. 

The other side has been liberating and made me far more responsible and careful in the things I do and say.   It has actually made the answers to so many questions that much easier. 
AshBash89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 7:00pm
Doc I'm not familiar but I'll do some research.

Kfoxx, I believe in the three but not that they are one.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 33>
  Share Topic