Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

We Don’t Need “New Blacks”, We Need Our “

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 7:14pm
I found this old thread on the Business/Finance/Money section called Median wealth for single black women: $5. I didn't want to believe it, so I read what was posted. Then I searched a bit, and found an article from 2010 as well, saying that the median wealth for black single women was $100.

I found an article saying a few positive things about single black women - lower dropout rates in high school in the past years, graduating from college, opening businesses - but the downside is that black women make 64% less than white men and black businesses are being left out of loans for small businesses.

So if black women are starting businesses 6x at the national average yet are not being funded, what could be done?
Some posters would suggest to go to a black bank instead, and I find the idea good but are you sure there isn't a white man behind it?

Let's not let history repeat itself, as someone has said: "those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it".

The Freedman's Bank was a bank created by whites for the free slaves “to instill into the minds of the untutored Africans lessons of sobriety, wisdom, and economy, and to show them how to rise in the world.”

Some corrupted whites did bad investments - plus I am sure took some for themselves - but in some articles I found online there is no mention of whites, only that Frederick Douglas was the president, as if it were his fault. So everyone who deposited their money lost their savings - 61k African Americans lost 3 million dollars in 1874.

some info about the Freedman's Bank: http://blog.oup.com/2007/02/black_history_m2/ 
Sponsored Links

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 11:41pm
Well I think the reason why a lot of posters don't reply, its because they feel powerless to change anything... I personally LOVE the idea of more Black families becoming more self-reliant! I've been researching on how I can make this more of a reality for myself and my family.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 11:47pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zj4q4HOG0Y
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic