BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

We Don’t Need “New Blacks”, We Need Our “

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

No really...He called himself a "new black" and moved on with his life....months ago..

But people are still talking about it and writing articles like this happened just yesterday...I'm sure he doesn't even care anymore..

one night on some remote highway...some white cops will pull him over and ensure that he does
Sponsored Links

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Garvey is a Jamaican National hero. We have seven. He is the first national hero. Rastafari centers around him (as well as Selassie)

S&F, Garvey was deported to Jamaica spent about 8 years here and then went to London where he died. He was buried there but his body was sent back to Jamaica., he is buried in National Heroes park. His son received an award pretty recently or was it the keys to the city?

Darn i cant remember what he was charged with when he came back here.

didnt he scam some folks out their money with that balckstarliner back to africa venture?
my friend's aunt hates any mention of Africa to this day. They sold their bakery and land in St. Elizabeth to go back to motherland....
then nothing happened.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

@jonesable, thanks, I just found out it wasn't a book, lol. I think it could be a nice read for the BHM book club after the chick-lit we are currently reading.

@Diane, so Garvey is a hero over there? I read that Garvey actually started the movement in Jamaica, did not have much success so he came to the US thinking he would learn something here, but when he found out about the lynchings, he decided to stay here. I didn't know about his son receiving the keys. Who are the other national heroes in Jamaica and are they all black?

they're all black except for Norman Manley and Alexander Bustamante (cousins) who are mixed, i think. We have one heroine - Nanny of the Maroons.
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 4:54pm
Im claiming new black status if its the old blacks that keep posting fire challenges, girls fighting , and ignorant posts that set black people back 10 years.

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 4:57pm
them the new blacks tho^^
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 6:02pm
New or old, I want our people to just do better sometimes.
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 8:50pm
@Wildfire, yes, that's the word I was looking for when referring to Garvey: scammer. He did a great job selling people a dream, getting people excited, creating a legion of fans, and earning enough money to live like a king.

@PG, LMAO at claiming new black status
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 9:17pm

@jonesable, thanks, I just found out it wasn't a book, lol. I think it could be a nice read for the BHM book club after the chick-lit we are currently reading. 

@Diane, so Garvey is a hero over there? I read that Garvey actually started the movement in Jamaica, did not have much success so he came to the US thinking he would learn something here, but when he found out about the lynchings, he decided to stay here. I didn't know about his son receiving the keys. Who are the other national heroes in Jamaica and are they all black?

Yes he is. All the heroes are represented on the money- paper and coins and Ive traced adn coloured each more than 40 times in my school life . Define "black"  we claim all of them even the "brown" ones

For Garvey - first thing was agitation about printery conditions and wages (where he worked)which led to the failed printers strike , then a few years later after travelling to S. America /europe and seeing how "we" were living he came back to Jamaican and started UNIA. I never heard or read that US lynching were his reasons for staying. I'm no garveyite though.

Nanny of the Maroons- “granny Nanny” Only woman on the list, all around bad ass military leader, waged terror on the English always outwitting them, she and her brother Tacky, first maroon war etc etc. Priestess - leader of the village in all areas. She is said to have caught a bullet in her backside (centuries before the lady caught the bullet in the weave), i highly doubt it, she was a Coromantee (collective name given to the diff. peoples from modern day ghana). Nannytown named after her, a "free" village.

George William Gordon- a mulatto (slave mom, planter dad), Dad made sure he was educated. He was a land owner, sat in Parliament spoke on many issues/conditions of the poor, the blacks. Bogle was his scholar was not at the rebellion never incited violence. responded to a summons for his arrest was given a phuckery trial AND the evidence was in his favour but they hung him as well. House of Parlaiment Named in his honour

Sam Sharpe- “daddy Sharpe” devised planned and lead the rebellion, (it wasn’t to actually have been a full scale rebellion but more passive no work day) spread his msg at religious meeting and It snowballed. Rebellion turned out to be the biggest in Jamaica they hung him in the square in Montego bay, now Sam Sharpe Square. Rebellion led to the Abolishment of slavery “I would rather die on yonder gallows than live in slavery”

Sir Alexander Bustamante- founder of the Jamaica Labour Party (#teamgreen) one of two parties in Jamaica, cousin to norman manley, championed sugar workers rights and conditions, trade union leader- the Bustamante Industrial Trade union is around to this day, charming and incredibly witty. Champion of the grassroots. Wrote tons of letters to the newspapers about the plight of the working class. Nasty tasting teeth breaking sweets named after him "tough like busta's backbone" is a popular phrase. First Premier/Chief minister under English rule, First Prime Minister as an independent nation. When they arrested him and another important fellow for phuckery it was a near riot.

Norman Manley- distinguished lawyer, brilliant mind, was central in the trade union movement with Busta broke away from Busta’s party to form the People's National Party (#teamorange). Only law school in the island is named after him, (we have many law faculties- where you get an LLB but only one law school- practicing certificate). Negotiated for bustas release from prison after 17 months. Wanted to see the West indies united in the West Indian Federation but that fell through, His son 
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 9:33pm

@Wildfire, yes, that's the word I was looking for when referring to Garvey: scammer. He did a great job selling people a dream, getting people excited, creating a legion of fans, and earning enough money to live like a king.

@PG, LMAO at claiming new black status

S&F there are many Jamaicans who brand Garvey as a theif, liar fraud etc but there have been efforts AGAIN to clear his name from those trumped up charges AND  recently (2010) we've seen his teaching be placed or (is in the process of being placed) in the national curriculum. 

Busta, Garvey, Manley, Gordon, Bogle, Sharpe, Nanny pic already labelled

Interestingly Bogle is the only one to have a dance named for him OR for the dancer who made the dance who himself is named "bogle" lolol

Edited by Diane (35) - Aug 04 2014 at 9:48pm
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 12:31am
damn! Diane schooled BHM on Jamaica's historyClap
Too bad this thread didn't get more replies - and then people wonder why nothing changes...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>