Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

We Don’t Need “New Blacks”, We Need Our “

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Garvey did agree with Washington's "bootstraps" economic concepts.
I think he was just not so good at building a business. He had to sell those stocks to pay for the BlackStar right?

I think those were different entrepreneurships that Garvey tried: the BlackStar was a way - an unfulfilled promise - to get the people to Africa, but instead went back and forth to Europe, which was a big financial mistake. He was a great leader, if you think about the fact that he mobilized adults and youth, and everyone was proud to wear the uniform, but he was terrible with money management, and for him, it was more important that people were loyal to him than their skills, so he had someone with zero money skills to manage his money because they were loyal to him.

Garvey himself never went to Africa. After being deported from the US, I think he lived the rest of his life in the UK.
Sponsored Links

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I've read The Negro Problem.

can you tell a bit what else the book discusses besides Talented Tenth? Do you think Du Bois ideas could be implemented nowadays?
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

I'm tired of blacks arguing. Lets just do something. Follow a leader, take matters into ur own hands, do something. It's enough options on the table for advancement, if we would stop arguing on what's best we could get somewhere. We don't need a one size fits all strategy. We need to start taking advantage of what we know. Let's not spend another 150 years arguing.

Myself: I'm working on it.

When Zimmerman was found not guilty, everyone showed their disappointment, anger, some people said we should boycott Florida - I think there was even a thread at BHM about it - but nothing was done. I think some people really accepted that nothing will change. Others are waiting for the one who will lead them out, kinda like Moises led the Jews through the Red Sea.

Like you wrote, there are many options for advancement, everyone should pick the one they find it fit for themselves, and do their part.

A lot of people point fingers at black celebrities who do not give back to their community, but those people are not doing any good either if they are not doing something themselves. I already gave up on celebrities because it feels like they have to see suffering in order to give money - like when Rihanna donated about 2 million to a cancer hospital in Barbados after her grandmother died of cancer.

Regardless of how much money we have, by supporting black businesses, mentoring youth - foster kids, Big Brother Big Sister program, children from low income areas, or just your teenager neighbor who seems lost - you are already doing your part.

there was a thread here on BHM about what we are doing for the community, if anyone is interested is checking the suggestions posted or post their own contribution:

Keep Up the Momentum: what have you done?
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 2:27pm
The Negro Problem was a collection of essays from WEB , Booker, Chesnutt, Dunbar, and Smith I'm forgetting the other person who gave his perspective.

It was about their own perspectives about our place in America.

I remember Kealing's piece being the most interesting for me to read at the time since I was enrolled in Constitutional Law and AA Lit at the same time.

Edited by jonesable - Aug 04 2014 at 2:30pm
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 2:34pm
Garvey is a Jamaican National hero. We have seven. He is the first national hero. Rastafari centers around him (as well as Selassie)

S&F, Garvey was deported to Jamaica spent about 8 years here and then went to London where he died. He was buried there but his body was sent back to Jamaica., he is buried in National Heroes park. His son received an award pretty recently or was it the keys to the city?

Darn i cant remember what he was charged with when he came back here.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 2:36pm

When I first read it I thought WEB's "Talented Tenth" sounded good in theory not so good in practice.

I'm going to reread it tonight to see if my mind has changed.
Sexy that link about lets you read the entire thing
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 2:54pm
@jonesable, thanks, I just found out it wasn't a book, lol. I think it could be a nice read for the BHM book club after the chick-lit we are currently reading.

@Diane, so Garvey is a hero over there? I read that Garvey actually started the movement in Jamaica, did not have much success so he came to the US thinking he would learn something here, but when he found out about the lynchings, he decided to stay here. I didn't know about his son receiving the keys. Who are the other national heroes in Jamaica and are they all black?
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 2:55pm
@Alias, education is a great poweful tool. I am not talking about going to college, I am talking about educating yourself. I took an African American class and I was fortunate to have a professor who was passionate about teaching, was African American, militant, and discussed in length the topics we learned. I think for the next BHM book club we could read Du Bois' book if it isn't too long.

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 3:42pm
Thanks for that link Jones.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 3:47pm
Agreed Sexy. That boycott Florida thread hurt my feelings. The amount of excuses people had...they didn't even want to try it seemed like.

I had promised myself back when the thread was first made that I would do what was necessary to support black business. That "round the way" app that someone posted really helped me out in finding black owned in my area. And not for nothing...on the selfish side. It makes me feel good to support mine. And that's what I have been doing since. I even now do business with a black owned bank. *shrugs* Gotta start somewhere.

Edited by newdiva1 - Aug 04 2014 at 3:48pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic