BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

We Don’t Need “New Blacks”, We Need Our “

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 12:25pm
Du Bois wrote about the Talented Tenth on his book "The Negro Problem". I want to read it, but my library does not have it!
Has anyone ever read it in full?
Sponsored Links

ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 12:27pm
No single person has the answer to racism and systemic oppression.  Neither the Black himself nor the so called talented tenth (which by the way is a slap in the face because we have far more talent than that!) can change the fact that your zip code is a determinant of your income, living conditions, health and life span.  Hidden Colors said it best, "Slavery is not a stain in the fabric of America.  Slavery IS the fabric of America."  

This nation became a world power because of slavery.  Without it, America would not be what it is.  The mindsets, the teaching that Blacks were genetically perfect for the physical labor of field work (we do this now with Black athleticism) that we are not smart (denied opportunities to learn and still are in many ways) and using religion to justify slavery, oppression and cultural dominance; those mindsets have to be dismantled not only in the minds of Blacks but even moreso Whites, which is why we will never be post-racial.

I became a registered nurse and am protected by a union and contract put in place, not for me as a Black nurse, but for White nurses.  I get to benefit from the safeguard they put in place for them.  That doesn't mean I want to be like them.  I get to care for Black patients and people of all races because I used education as a car to navigate the highways built for them.  Many Blacks are dropped off on that highway without a car.  It's not their mindset that left them there, it's the systemic practices this country has in place to keep poor people and people of color losing.

My husband took a different route.  Creating his own opportunity.  As a licensed barber he co-owns a shop.  As a self-employed person, he has no medical, dental, vision, retirement, etc. and no gauranteed income.  No union.  Just a lot of hustle.  Some days the money is great.  Other days he's sitting there stressing because the bills are the same regardless of the clientele flow.

Who's winning?  He doesn't have to answer to The Man or have people ask to touch his hair or make blatantly racist remarks day in and day out like I do.  But I go in everyday knowing exactly what my take home is, not having to worry about taxes, benefits, etc.  He has clients say crazy stuff in the name of trying to be down or just plain ignorance and he takes some to school and tunes out others.

My point is, you can't escape racism.  Whether you're punching the clock, self-employed or rich.  

If there is a conversation about any new black, it needs to include new racism and racism ain't new.  The rules may have changed (criminalize your ni99er before you kill him but kill him nonetheless) but the game is still the same.  

There are no winners just survivors.

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 12:27pm
Eh still its not all misinterpretation when it comes to Booker T.
He still said we shouldn't worry about voting and such and to wait and give them time

Booker T basically wanted to get our money up first then seek other rights later .

Its not all misinterpretation but I won't call him a coon bc he lived in a different time and a completely different world but...

Edited by jonesable - Aug 04 2014 at 12:29pm
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 12:31pm
I've read The Negro Problem.
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

And Marcus Garvey didn't agree with either one them. 
so...

My professor loved Marcus Garvey, she spoke of him highly, because his movement was the most black nationalist militant group ever. But to be honest, I think Garvey was kinda of a crook. He put people who had zero knowledge of money to manage his. He contradicted himself telling people that they should go to Africa and then say that the US should give a land for blacks to live and make an African descendents nation. He sold stocks that had no value to people and then he was arrested for mail fraud: he stole 8 dollars from an envelope that someone sent to pay for something.
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

And Marcus Garvey didn't agree with either one them. 
so...

My professor loved Marcus Garvey, she spoke of him highly, because his movement was the most black nationalist militant group ever. But to be honest, I think Garvey was kinda of a crook. He put people who had zero knowledge of money to manage his. He contradicted himself telling people that they should go to Africa and then say that the US should give a land for blacks to live and make an African descendents nation. He sold stocks that had no value to people and then he was arrested for mail fraud: he stole 8 dollars from an envelope that someone sent to pay for something.

I stand corrected…

Garvey did agree with Washington's "bootstraps" economic concepts.
I think he was just not so good at building a business. He had to sell those stocks to pay for the BlackStar right?

Edited by OoDles O - Aug 04 2014 at 12:39pm
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 12:40pm
I'm tired of blacks arguing. Lets just do something. Follow a leader, take matters into ur own hands, do something. It's enough options on the table for advancement, if we would stop arguing on what's best we could get somewhere. We don't need a one size fits all strategy. We need to start taking advantage of what we know. Let's not spend another 150 years arguing.

Myself: I'm working on it.
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

I'm tired of blacks arguing. Lets just do something. Follow a leader, take matters into ur own hands, do something. It's enough options on the table for advancement, if we would stop arguing on what's best we could get somewhere. We don't need a one size fits all strategy. We need to start taking advantage of what we know. Let's not spend another 150 years arguing.

Myself: I'm working on it.

I agree with this.  My personal belief is it starts at home.  How I love my husband, how he loves me, what we teach our kids, what we take out into the world and what we send them out with.  Hubby and me are many "firsts in our family to....." but as far as the masses go, we can't be worried about the masses.  Gotta do what works for you.  If it works, work it.  If not, KIM.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 1:04pm
I love that you actually researched, read and informed yourself instead of just going by popular opinion. Kudos

Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Alright, a lot of people get Booker T Washington's ideas wrong. I took African American Studies class, and my professor - whom thank God was black and was pretty militant herself, involved with the Black Panthers back in the day - told us that she also misinterpreted Washington's ideas and thought he was a coon.

Washington represented the rural blacks, was born in slavery and had a white mentor. He founded the Tuskegee Institute. He believed in self-sufficiency: grow your own food, make your own clothes. He did not believe in integration. He would say: how can you integrate and be self-sufficient?
The reason why a lot of people thinks he was a coon was because in the Atlanta Expo in 1875, he said to the whites exactly what they wanted to hear: "We can be like 5 fingers in a hand, working together but separate", so the whites - I think Rockefeller or Carnegie was there - liked what he said, and gave him money - and then he gave the money to blacks business owners. he was a black capitalist.

Now Dubois represented the black middle class. He held the first Pan African Conference, on the same place and day that the countries involved in WWI held the Treaty of Versailles, because he was trying to get the US to make anti-lynching a federal crime - didn't happen. He thought that blacks could be helped by exceptional men - black men, of course - and wanted to get the ten best men, educate them - he believe in college education - and they would be the leaders of the African Americans.

more info on the Talented Tenth:

http://www.yale.edu/glc/archive/1148.htm
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 1:08pm
Im not in agreement with a lot of what W.E.B said either.

Gems are found in all of their theories but I take bits and pieces of each
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style