Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedWater and Oil as moisturiser and sealent only?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Shardd:) View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water and Oil as moisturiser and sealent only?
    Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 8:40am
I came across a natural on youtube with beautiful hair, shiny long and sleek and healthy. Her name was Sistawithrealhair or something like that.

Anyway I found that she used only grapeseed oil and EVOO as moisturisers/sealents. She didn't like water based moisturisers, and I'm starting to think my hair doesn't either.

So do any naturals here simply use carrier oils and water only? What concoctions do you use? Do the oils moisturise your hair better than a water based moisturiser?
Sponsored Links

KikiScorpio92 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 12:33pm
Well before I started using the loc method I kinda gave up on leave ins for a while and only used water and oil as my leave-in. I found my hair was left moisturised but not for an extended amount of time now that I'm starting to use leave ins again. My main oils were evco or hot six oil.
Lilnicka4u2nv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 12:37pm
I do it

aloe vera juice or applying my oil mixture on wet hair

and there is no such thing as a moisturizer with no water, and no such thing as hair not liking water...oils dont moisturize

Edited by Lilnicka4u2nv - Mar 17 2013 at 12:40pm
thelurkingKind View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 12:49pm

Right here, I spray my hair with AVJ or sometimes plain water and than seal with rice bran oil and my hair stays moisturized for a whole week. 
Jjoyoyoyo View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 12:50pm
I need a moisturizer that is pH balanced for my hair, water penetrates and moisturizes. However the oil I use cannot be pH balanced (at least I don't think they are) so I need a moisturizer that will seal and flatten my strands back down to actually hold the moisture in well. I also wont use a heavy oil or butter on my hair every other day to seal either.

I am finding that I'd rather have a liquid moisturizer, so I am going to try out that leave-in detangling conditioner since some ppl on NC said it works better as a moisturizer rather than on wet hair^^
YaYaStar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 1:05pm
I don't like how my hair feels with just water and oil once my hair is completely dry. My hair feels nice damp but once dry feels crunchy. I find when I use a cream in addition to the water and oil my hair remains soft.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by YaYaStar YaYaStar wrote:

I don't like how my hair feels with just water and oil once my hair is completely dry. My hair feels nice damp but once dry feels crunchy. I find when I use a cream in addition to the water and oil my hair remains soft.

It's sounds like it's the oil....try different ones, grapeseed, rice bran, hempseed,wheat germ, soybean (crisco) are ceramide oils that smooth the hair shaft...Make sure they are pure

Edited by Lilnicka4u2nv - Mar 17 2013 at 1:20pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Jjoyoyoyo Jjoyoyoyo wrote:

I need a moisturizer that is pH balanced for my hair, water penetrates and moisturizes. However the oil I use cannot be pH balanced (at least I don't think they are) so I need a moisturizer that will seal and flatten my strands back down to actually hold the moisture in well. I also wont use a heavy oil or butter on my hair every other day to seal either.

I am finding that I'd rather have a liquid moisturizer, so I am going to try out that leave-in detangling conditioner since some ppl on NC said it works better as a moisturizer rather than on wet hair^^

Aloe vera juice
katakana89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 1:38pm
Sometimes I spritz my hair with water and then use a light oil. I mostly like to spritz with a lot of water, use a dab of a moisturizer (usually an ORS product). Sometimes I skip sealing with the oil. I go based on how my hair feels.
Jjoyoyoyo View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 1:53pm
I do want to try just plain AVJ. But like the only AVJ I see even at 'health food' stores like whole foods or trader joes I am certain they have sugar in them, some even have pulp...I am starting to wonder if people mean Aloe vera gel when they say juice since I know the gel can be watery and thin like 'juice' also ^^

What type of AVJ do you buy? And from where?
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic