Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Washing your hair every month regimon..HELP PLZ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Washing your hair every month regimon..HELP PLZ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Tangala0810 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangala0810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Washing your hair every month regimon..HELP PLZ
    Posted: May 10 2013 at 9:56am
I'm in need of a good regimen when I wash my hair cause I really need to do some wonders to my hair can anyone help me with some advice plz? My hair is dry and at the end its breaking off I just need a good regimen so I can get my hair to shine and soft so it can be easier to comb so I want be able to comb it im a natural have been for about a year in some change I       usually wear protective styles I
just need a gud regimon.i know sum1 else prb post this b4.but
figured hey I should make my own post dats why I'm up here and I want to also define my natural curls

Sponsored Links

SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 2:40pm
Do you pre poo? Pre pooing prevents the shampoo from stripping you hair. Also you can detangle while your hair is pre pooing. Also you should focus on shampooing your scalp and not your hair. Your hair will be sufficiently cleaned by the runoff of the shampoo. Have you thought about giving up combs entirely? Finger detangling works just as well and is a lot less damaging to your ends. HTH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangala0810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 5:34pm
No I havent..how do I do that method? Do I pre poo everyday or everyweek? Yea I have
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 6:12pm
Welcome to the natural hair section!Big smile

Here's a good video to watch. She tells you exactly what she does step by step and shows you how she does it, even in the shower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vPCIfhgiw0

Moisturizing and sealing in the moisture in your hair is what really helps keep your hair soft. People like to use an oil on top of a leave in moisturizing product (such as water, leave in conditioners like Giovanni Direct leave in) in order to seal that moisture in and keep hair soft.
Moisturizers: Water, leave in conditioner, and some people use regular ol' conditioner as a leave in.
Sealers: Extra virgin olive oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, castor oil...You can buy them all from the grocery store and a decent price.

LOC (Liquid Oil Cream) method is one many ladies swear by to keep hair soft. Liquid moisturizer, Oil to seal and Creamy product to seal in the liquid and oil on hair.

She walks you through a nightly regimen of moisturizing, sealing and twisting hair to keep it stretched and to avoid tangles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfNJCfFjzqE

I hope this helps! I know more ladies will chime in with more advice.
ETA: Products that have been tested by the ladies on the forum. 
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/hair-product-review-thread_topic278442.html

Edited by carolina cutie - May 10 2013 at 6:15pm
MissAnnaMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAnnaMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:22pm
Check out the natural hair 101 post, it'll give you a lot of information on how to look after it.

Washing your hair once a month probably isn't something you want to jump to straight away if you don't know how to maintain moisture without clogging your pores etc. 

Try co-washing once a week, pre poo the night before with a plastic cap (a pre poo is a pre shampoo, you should do it before you wash your hair, not daily) then co wash (conditioner wash - washing your hair using only conditioner) with a sulfate free conditioner. You can shampoo your hair once a month to get rid of build up but co-washing is your best bet.

Watch a lot of youtube videos of women talking about their hair care regimen and find out what works best for you. 

The LOC method that Carolina posted is good, also look into baggying aka GHE (Green House Effect) and protective styling to minimise manipulation and tangles, removing/ minimising the use of combs, removing sulfates from your regimen etc

Hope this helps, it's very vague but theres hundreds of help sites and posts and videos for you, it depends on your hair type =]
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 10:25am
Awwww this reminds me of when I first big chopped after transitioning for a little over a year. I was soooo lost. Everyone gave great advice.

Give up that comb! You should not be running a comb through your hair everyday. One of my good friends combs her natural hair everyday...and wonders why she isn't retaining length.
You cant treat this natural hair the same way you treated your relaxed hair.
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 10:25am
Also, op, do you have a regimen at all? If so please post it...and we can modify it for you.
MissAnnaMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAnnaMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 10:31am
Originally posted by bebe88 bebe88 wrote:

Also, op, do you have a regimen at all? If so please post it...and we can modify it for you.

This is a good idea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangala0810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 4:15am
Thank you ladies for your input I appreciated...i usually just wash my hair, condition and oil rinse my hair..I'm going to give up combs..are brushes ok? So when I pre poo I put poo in my hair that night then wash it out that morning then I co-wash..do it matter the kind of shampoo and conditioner I use?
solena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 1:05pm
prepoo usually consists of oils creams conditioners..it leaves some moisture in the hair after shampooing. i would start using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. my all time fav is dove but maybe you have something that you can use. list your products and how youre using them.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic