BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Wash and gos "dont work" on Nappy hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 6:06pm
I am glad this method seems effected for low porosity hair.
Now if only there was a way for us high porosity curly girls to reach maximum hydration!

Edited by Derri - Apr 06 2014 at 6:07pm
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 6:27pm
i think that this method will work for high porus and normal porus hair. The only thing i would add is for the bentonite clay rinse, put more applecider vinegar in it to bring the ph down so it will more actively be closed since it has a harder time closing. If your hair is high porus due to damage, the sealing with a gel will be a great benefit. This method will technically work for many hair types. Everyone has cuticles and cortexes at the end of the day. Because the method is so deliberate, you would essentially be in full control of the way your cuticle behaves and each step will work to do different thing for your hair. For example, if you have high porous hair, does that mean you wont benefit from opening your cuticle when moisture needs to get in, and sealing that moisture in? No. Everyones hair on that level functions the same way. Its just with some hair types when you arent making the extra step and controlling all the measures their hair will just respond in the most extreme way. I say give it a shot. Nothing here will damage the hair, and EVERYONES hair loves moisture. And thats what this method is for, especially on the most resistant hair type. Period.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 6:36pm
btw, the max hydration method has its own post now. Refer to there for the best specifics and also testimony pictures. Page one has the full regimen in detail, and i'll be working on an faq, while kwicherbichen creates the max hydration website. http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page8.html
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 6:44pm
The virgin hair growing out of my scalp is porus. No damage..just naturally very porus.
ACV and Porosity Control Conditioner helps to seal my cuticles after deep conditioning, but the cuticles open again making it hard to keep moisturized, tangle free, and frizz free, thus leading to chronic dryness and breakage.

I didn't know there were low porosity 4Cs out there. I am 4C and was under the impression that high porosity was a characteristic of the 4C hair type, so thanks for that.

Edited by Derri - Apr 06 2014 at 6:45pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

The virgin hair growing out of my scalp is porus. No damage..just naturally very porus.
ACV and Porosity Control Conditioner helps to seal my cuticles after deep conditioning, but the cuticles open again making it hard to keep moisturized, tangle free, and frizz free, thus leading to chronic dryness and breakage.

I didn't know there were low porosity 4Cs out there. I am 4C and was under the impression that high porosity was a characteristic of the 4C hair type, so thanks for that.

Hey derri.. I actually used to think my hair was high porous at one point. Mainly because it was soft when wet, and then when dry it would feel really dry like i never put anything in my hair, causing everything you just described. I came to realize my hair was actually low porous, and the reason my hair felt so dry was because none of the stuff i put on my hair was actually getting into my hair, it was just sitting on my hair cuticles and evaporating. Then, some of the products i was using were not compatible with my hair, further blocking my cuticle, or stealing and blocking moisture from getting into the cortex. The frizz is caused by the cuticle bushing out toward the atmosphere for moisture, which causes most of the symptoms of 4c hair. Everything youve descrived is low porous hair. I actually strongly believe most ppl who say they have 4c hair, have low porous hair.

Have you done a strand test? Was it on clean hair, using a ph balanced product? Does your hair get white when you apply product?

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 06 2014 at 7:43pm
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 8:53pm
I did a strand test a long time ago but I am interested in doing another one.
My strands are rough when I glide my fingers up and down, they soaks up oil and product in a matter of minutes, it doesn't leave a white cast with many product except for Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Other products it just soaks up. That makes me feel like my hair is not low porosity.

The best way to explain it is that my hair is always thirsty. Also, it loves glycerin and very thick oils like castor oil etc. and never feels weighed down.

Edited by Derri - Apr 06 2014 at 8:58pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2014 at 9:25pm

My strands are rough when I glide my fingers up and down, they soaks up oil and product in a matter of minutes, it doesn't leave a white cast with many product except for Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Other products it just soaks up. That makes me feel like my hair is not low porosity.

The best way to explain it is that my hair is always thirsty. Also, it loves glycerin and very thick oils like castor oil etc. and never feels weighed down.

Derri, i still think the regimen will work for you.  The gel and deep conditioning steps should serve to keep moisture locked into your strands. Also the products i recommend are ph balanced. Still definetly do a strand test. The things you are describing are a common misnomer and one i myself actually had too.

Again, i really feel products cause that "soaked up" feeling. For example, when you use glycerin, does it feel like when you put it on your hair the slipperyness goes away? Or coconut oil, do either of those sort of seem to feel more squeaky when you apply it, even to wet hair? Like as soon as you smooth it on, the water gets zapped? Humectants have a trait of making your products not turn white on your hair, which i've observed when i used to layer aloe juice on top of conditioner and the whiteness would zap along with most of the wet feeling, drying my hair very fast.

Also if your products contain glycerin, it can have a similar effect. When i used s curl activator, even on wet hair, when i applied it it was like my hair wasnt wet anymore. At the time i thought this was just my hair absorbing. Then i realized the strong humectants and proteins were creating this effect. That feeling is very squeeky, and u could b mistaking the zapping effect of these products as your hair eating it up. I notice the same effect with castor oil. I woul apply it on wet hair and the wetness went down, and whiteness went away so i thought my hair liked it. Que two days later, my hair felt like straw. The reason sheamoisture leaves your hair white is probably the sheabutter. Its an antihumectant.

Im also aware sheamoisture puts glycerin in their products. That could cause the conditioner parts to coagulate on your hair. The same thing happened to me yesterday when i layered conditioner olive oil castor oil and olive oil to set my bantu knot outs. The only parts that turned the most white were the more low porous finer 4c areas of my hair. In other areas it wasnt as white. Olive oil is an anti humectant, castor oil is a humectant, to clarify.

The rough feeling of the strand again happens to all hairtypes when your hairs cortext is dehydrated. That is the feeling or your blocked hair cuticles reaching toward the atmosphere for moisture, and is the sole cause of frizz. They are doing this because the glycerin and other humectants you put in your hair, drew all the moisture from your hairs cortex to the top of the cuticle, eventually evaporating the moisture and leaving ur hair with nothing.

The fact your hair doesnt weigh down is also a sign you have low levels of water in your cortex. My hair used to have no weight to it, to the point where no matter how windy it was outside it would not move. The added weight of water in my cortex has now given me shakeable hair all day long even after my hair dries. This is moisture retention. Oil will never weigh down your hair unless it is a really heavy amount. But hair weighs down with water (unless it isnt absorbed and then evaporates after drying)

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 06 2014 at 10:10pm
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 12:02am
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of that to me.
I think it is worth a try regardless, so I am open to this method.

So are you suggesting that glycerin in skincare products also eventually dehydrate the skin?

Edited by Derri - Apr 07 2014 at 12:03am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2014 at 5:28am
the hair is definetly more fragile than the skin. But yes, i believe if glycerin is the main ingredient, it could contribute to how fast your skin gets dry in the winter and low dew points. Your welcome, i really think this method will work for u. If u have any questions just ask me.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 11:31pm

http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/08/how-to-find-your-hair-porosity-and.html
  1. Squeeze or blot excess moisture from your hair so that it is not dripping, but leave it as wet as possible.
  2. If it feels rough or has a “straw-like” texture, your hair is not very porous. (it's a sign of low porosity)
  3. If your hair simply feels wet, you have normal hair porosity.
  4. If your hair has high porosity, it will feel sticky, almost as if you had not washed all product out of your hair.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 15 2014 at 11:35pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style