Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Wash and gos "dont work" on Nappy hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 11:20pm
I also want to add that I noticed that the "straighter/smoother" you can make your hair, the better. I don't know if this is related to it being easier to stay moisturized or the oil being able to slide down the shaft more easily, but the smoother the hair, the softer the hair seems to be for a longer period of time. So I was interested for a while in things that would supposedly relax curls or make it easier to straighten curls.

What are your thoughts on that?

Another video that looks great to me:
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 9:34am
I AM RESPONDING TO A LOT OF THE QUESTIONS(AND MANY FALSE ASSUMPTIONS) THAT LADYARADIA MADE BELOW

“Have you noticed any improvement at all in your moisture levels by not doing cones?”

Yes, I have. It was one of the first things I did when I started caring for my natural hair, and I noticed my hair felt softer and seemed to get moisturized better. That stripped feeling from washes also went away. Once I changed that I stuck with it, because it was effective.

“Glycerine doesn't work for you at all? Vegetable glycerine sucks moisture from the air and loads it on the hair when you wear a product containing vegetable glycerine with water in it. Kind of like the Jeri curls never seemed to dry. The curl moisturizers like Care Free Curl and S Curl have glycerine as the main ingredient that suck water from the air and put it in the hair constantly.”

I have actually used s curl activator, and it seemed to take away from my defintion instead of adding to it. Also, when I apply vegetable glycerin, and glycerin products (including this one) even if my hair is wet, it seems to some how zap the moisture from it. That soft feeling gets replaced my a sort of squeaky dry feeling. It doesn’t hold in moisture well at all, I find maybe an hour or 2 minutes later, the moisture has evaporated into the air, and my hair feels rough and dry, with a layer of greese.

EDIT: The idea of GLYCERIN pulling moisture out of the air and into the hair seems good in THEORY, but in practice? Let's think about it. The conditions have to be perfect. How many people live in a climate humid enough to be conducive for that? Not to mention seasonal changes, and the different atmospheres depending on what building you are in and their airconditioning and heating systems. Not every building has humidifiers, and definitely hair control units contribute to drying out the air around you. On normal occasions, this could have some form of effect on your hair, but glycerin will probably enhance that effect by further pulling out moisture from the hair into the atmosphere.

If the conditions do happen to be right, its likely that the grease from the glycerin is probably blocking whatever moisture is being pulled toward the hair from actually getting into the hair shaft. Cause that's what oils do. Seal in moisture, or seal out moisture. Then the water being pulled just kinds of sits on the hair for while resulting in that "soft" feeling, but not a truly moisturized feeling because once again the water is not actually nourishing the hair shaft. The water will eventually evaporate into the atmosphere. If one wants to use glycerin, I think it's best if it is NOT LEFT ON THE HAIR. Maybe a conditioner, that you will never use as a leave in, or something

“ I am using Prettywitty77s moisturizer now and it works really well for me. It contains this water pumping glycerine also. But I put aloe vera and coconut oil in it also. Her formula contains hello hydration conditioner, water, vegetable glycerine. This gives you liquid, and cream (LC) I would suggest adding some olive oil to it though for more the complete LOC formula“

My hair does not like coconut oil either. It acts the same way the glycerin does,, the moisture dries out quickly and leaves a greasy film. My hair feels like oily straw, and it doesn’t seem to absorb in my hair for a while. Once it finally does, my hair is left feeling like a dry brillo pad. Olive oil is okay, still a bit greesy, but better than coconut oil. The only problem I have is that alone is simply not enough to hold the moisture in through out the day. A botanical, gentle gel on top will effectively seal in the moisture, where as with simply an oil, I expose myself to tangles, quickly evaporating moisture, and dry, greasy hair by the end of the day.

“The vegetable glycerine and water mixtures like this in general do get rave reviews among 4s. I know the Hello Hydration in her formula has dimethicone. Maybe you can substitute some other really moist conditioner that is cone free and use the rest of her formula unchanged.”

They also get plenty of bashing reviews from type 4‘s, me included. Also, do any of the type 4’s you are speaking of have max hydration?

“Aubrey Organics White Camellia Ultra-Smoothing Conditioner is a good cone free substitute for Hello Hydration in the above formula”

Aubrey organics had to change their formula to add denatured alcohol. Not ceytl acohol, which is a moisturized alcohol, but neatured alcohol, which dries out the hair. There are plenty of cone, sulfate, and denatured alcohol free products, easy to google. Kinky Curly knot today, Trader joes Ph balancing conditioner, Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle, Tresseme Natural conditoners.

“I sent you a PM about using baking soda WITH vinegar in your cherry lola dupe formula you made up above. ( They need to be put on separately with the vinegar in a final rinse. You can not mix them together! I like to avoid them both actually because they dry the hair.”

the reason i adjusted the recipe was actually because it foamed more. i believe that contributed to my results. Greek yogurt, which is the LARGEST portion of the recipe, already has a low ph 4.25- 4.5, and bc of that the recipe already does already foam. It’s a COUPLE TABLESPOON of vinegar not a GALLON, gee wiz! It’s not going to shoot up in the air like a rocket, it will just foam up inside the blender. the effect when i used it on my hair was very effective, i had a lot of root to tip definition from it, and i was amazed.

the drying factor is why both honey and ripened advocado and ripened banana was added to the recipe. let me also add that the ph of both ripened banana and ripened advocado are actually alkaline, so the effect of everything is pretty balanced out. once rinsed out the hair feels very soft, but egg and molasses can make a mask like effect on the hair if you dont wear a shower cap. i'm going to leave my recipe the way it is because i find it is very effective, and it is not damaging to my hair.

I understand you want to raise the cuticles to damage the hair so it can take a deeper drink or something.

Please don’t misconstrue what I’m saying with false facts and over generalizations.

When I do a Cherry Lola I leave the baking soda out all together because I do not want my cuticles raised. Raised cuticles weaken the strand.   I have personally never done a vinegar rinse either even though it tightens the cuticle. The reason I avoid vinegar also is because it is also really DRYING on the hair. The 2 together would really dry the hair a lot in addition to being an explosive combination. Good luck with that"

Everyone knows the cherry lola treatment does not permanently raise the cuticle. My cuticles were not permanently raised. I also DO NOT suggest doing an ACV rinse right after the cherry lola treatment like you stated in your private message. After thinking about it, I realized that is a pretty big mistake. The whole point is so you can get moisture in first before closing the cuticle. It is OBVIOUSLY NOT DRYING which is rich, coming from someone who seems to want to push silicones on type 4 hair, because it has worked on people with type 3 hair. If you rinse your hair in cider before even cowashing, its like opening your cuticles just to immediately close them again. The hair won’t benefit from that at all.

Secondly, this post is for type 4, low porosity hair girls to benefit from. These are the kinds of things they need to do to get moisture into their hair more efficiently, because our hair naturally has more resistence to absorbing moisture. The things we do to our hair are going to differ from what some one with type 3 hair can do to theres. There are things you will do to your hair that I will not benefit from, and vice versa. All naturals are not the same, and we need to accept that so we can learn what each individual hair needs, not ignore them. This is one of the main reasons again, why I disagree with the mindset of the tightly curly method. Period.

"The bentonite clay is very drying to the skin in masks. I would be terrified to put it any where near my hair. I understand a lot of naturals use it. But it will suck all the oils and moisture out of whatever it touches."

Okay, like I said before, the recipe is what you do. You don’t just slap the bentonite clay powder straight on your head, like with a face mask. I already included that recipe in what I wrote. There is nothing scary about clarifying your hair. The mixture is able to gently put out toxins from the hair without drying it out, which is precisely why I suggested it. I have done it before, and in no way was this drying, my hair felt very soft upon rinse out.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 04 2014 at 10:50am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by kwicherbichen kwicherbichen wrote:

I also want to add that I noticed that the "straighter/smoother" you can make your hair, the better. I don't know if this is related to it being easier to stay moisturized or the oil being able to slide down the shaft more easily, but the smoother the hair, the softer the hair seems to be for a longer period of time. So I was interested for a while in things that would supposedly relax curls or make it easier to straighten curls.

What are your thoughts on that?

Another video that looks great to me:

I am going to watch the full video now, but my initial impression is this is probably some protein based treatment that claims to "loosen" the curls, or maybe coconut, which can act like protein. It's a similar effect to what henna has on the hair. It isn't going to help you increase your moisture retention levels, it seems like more of coating the hair with protein to get it to appear weighed down. We want to actually have moisturized hair. I will comment and recorret my self further after watching the whole video, but these are my initial thoughts.

Edit: okay, I have watched the entire video. I'm was glad to see this wasn't another one of those coconut cream relaxer tutorials, very interesting about the emolltion.

I think that when it comes to relaxed hair, the idea is usually to soften the hair so it is easier to straighten. For Max hydration, and coils and zigzags that just pop out and clump, the priority is to add moisture, which leads to softening. I suppose this would make a softening deep condition once in a while, but it doesn't really relax the hair or alter the hair cuticle. If any thing the egg may add a bit of protein to the cuticle, but it isn't going to just leave you with straight hair. That's why she had to straighten the hair after word. Let me add that her new growth doesn't seem more than an inch long. It's very likely the way it hangs and appears is effected by the rest of her relaxed ends

I feel maybe I should briefly explain frizz and where it comes from. Frizz comes from dry hair. When your hair is dry and chronically dry, you will have your cuticles reaching out toward the atmosphere for moisture. That gives the frizzy, "nappier" look. Along with that, some people have added resistance to moisture, which is where porosity comes in. If you have low porosity hair your cuticles are not opened wide enough to receive moisture. This can be worsened by things that build up on the hair including greasy oils, protein, and silicones. This will block the cuticles from receiving moisture even when they are opened.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 04 2014 at 10:14am
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 10:26am
Pinkecube, you've literally inspired me to take on a new project.

Not this month, but maybe the next, I will create a short PDF and you can proof-read it. I really want this method to be hashed-out, thoroughly thought-through, and then popularized (become as well-known as curly girl method and other "methods").

I think a good first project for me is to create a chart comparing Max Hydration Method (your method) to other "methods". I'm going to compare it to Curly Girl method, Tightly Coily method, GHE, LOC, baggie method, inversion method -- anything else?

Also, I will try to contact the youtubers you have listed who have gotten their hair to max hydration. If you can think of others (even if they are people you just know personally), I'd like to contact them to. 

Let's see how deep we can take this.

I have already put my hair in braids, so I won't be able to test this out on myself for a while (but I'm doing GHE on my braids).

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 10:33am
Originally posted by kwicherbichen kwicherbichen wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">Pinkecube, you've literally inspired me to take on a new project.</span><div style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">Not this month, but maybe the next, I will create a short PDF and you can proof-read it. I really want this method to be hashed-out, thoroughly thought-through, and then popularized (become as well-known as curly girl method and other "methods").<div style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">I think a good first project for me is to create a chart comparing Max Hydration Method (your method) to other "methods". I'm going to compare it to Curly Girl method, Tightly Coily method, GHE, LOC, baggie method, inversion method -- anything else?<div style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">Also, I will try to contact the youtubers you have listed who have gotten their hair to max hydration. If you can think of others (even if they are people you just know personally), I'd like to contact them to. <div style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">Let's see how deep we can take this.<div style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.799999237060547px;">I have already put my hair in braids, so I won't be able to test this out on myself for a while (but I'm doing GHE on my braids).

Wow, that's Awesome! What a great idea! Thank you so much, the more people that know about this the better, this is so going to improve the type 4 natural hair community!

I will do a search of more people doing this method if I can find any. I have yet to introduce this to one of my cousins who is also a type 4b 4c natural. If I can get her permission, maybe I get her to document the progression of her hair. I may have to blur out her face, for privacy, though.

Keep up the ghe every night. And don't forget when you take out you braids to dry detangle before wetting your hair. Detangling right after your hair is still soft from ghe will help the ease of detangling through the build up and tangle knot that tends to form on some of the braids after long term wearing.

definitely the further we can take this and the more ears this can reach, the better. We'll call this the Max Hydration Method

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 04 2014 at 10:55am
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

this post is for type 4, low porosity hair girls to benefit from. These are the kinds of things they need to do to get moisture into their hair more efficiently, because our hair naturally has more resistence to absorbing moisture. The things we do to our hair are going to differ from what some one with type 3 hair can do to theres. There are things you will do to your hair that I will not benefit from, and vice versa. 
You are absolutely right Pinkcube Best wishes.  I cant wait to see how it turns out for you ladies!Thumbs Up And I would love to see photos.
Exits thread.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 11:05am
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

this post is for type 4, low porosity hair girls to benefit from. These are the kinds of things they need to do to get moisture into their hair more efficiently, because our hair naturally has more resistence to absorbing moisture. The things we do to our hair are going to differ from what some one with type 3 hair can do to theres. There are things you will do to your hair that I will not benefit from, and vice versa. 
You are absolutely right Pinkcube Best wishes.  I cant wait to see how it turns out for you ladies!Thumbs Up And I would love to see photos.
Exits thread.

Thank you so very much for the support, and I'm actually greatful for a lot of the points you brought up, and your dedication to analyzing this thread up and down. A lot of the questions and concerns you had were somewhat reasonable, if not a bit misguided, but they were obviously points that needed to be directly addressed, corrected, and thoroughly explained so people who view this can have their misunderstandings cleared up.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 04 2014 at 11:06am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 11:03pm
Look to my post titled max hydration method for my cleanest written and most current edited version of the method i am talking about
eternalhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eternalhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 9:24am
What is nappy hair? Who came up with that term? Anyway, have you ever thought that maybe you are doing something damaging to your hair and don't know it. Check out these 20 hair secrets! May it help you on your journey Ladies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIo3hlod6A&list=UUiQtH0xIv98_-hszXdRZBSQ
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 9:36am
Originally posted by eternalhair eternalhair wrote:

What is nappy hair? Who came up with that term? Anyway, have you ever thought that maybe you are doing something damaging to your hair and don't know it. Check out these 20 hair secrets! May it help you on your journey Ladies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIo3hlod6A&list=UUiQtH0xIv98_-hszXdRZBSQ

thanks for posting. did you read most of this post? it addresses a lot of the mistakes type 4 ladies are making. I might try to pull up a sort of Q&A thing so its more organized and easy to read. do check out this link that details the ideal regimen Maximum Hydration Method that i'm talking about. As far as im concerned, "nappy" hair is a way to describe frizzy, chronically dry hair that is difficult to manage. the thing people don't realize, is that is a condition of hair, not a hair type. anyway do check out the link:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page1&SID=55652209f5ea6aa899d36bz9bb5473916319444.html
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>