Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Wash and gos "dont work" on Nappy hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 10:56am
Originally posted by kwicherbichen kwicherbichen wrote:

Great post. I'm interested in how to get that popping coil look WITHOUT spending hours in the bathroom.

I know some people can do CG method and it works, but it doesn't work like that in my hair.

The girls you posted at first are great examples of what is possible, but they do not articulate their method well (except for one of them who seems to have more of 3C hair, not 4C hair). None of the first girls mentioned needed to smooth gel through their hair. 

There's just a lot of random tips and information here. I'm looking for a simple, NOT-time-comsuming method. 

Thank you. That is the point of this post, to better organize the techniques and information. one who you said to have 3c. is aucurlsnaturalle? I did not post that, lady aradia did. I also believe she has 3c hair. If you are talking about danabnaturals, she has 4a hair. If you look at her previous videos and earlier wash and gos, they are just as "nappy" as any 4c/4b hair. That is what building moisture levels in the hair does over time, it makes the curls more apparent, and even clump into bigger sections. But her hair is in no way 3c.

I know it seems like a lot, and it's hard to follow, but please read the post, it serves as a summary and guideline of some of the things they do. it can be time consuming at first, but your hair does change overtime. This method isn't so much about the immediate gratifying results of spending hours defining your curls, your hair literally retains more and more moisture overtime.

it does not take a lot of repeated shingling, actually once you properly do each step, by the time you apply gel the definition comes easier. Look to the post exceedinggrace and femmemuscle is back made about the process. It's better summed up that way.

the smoothing method is what akedafitgirl does in combination with raking. Its a combination of smoothing and raking product into the hair. Like I said throughout the post, if you are consistent for a while, as the moisture retention levels build up in your hair, so will ease and manageability. It literally improves the manageability of hair overtime, which is a benefit you don't receive from a lot of the dehydration based set styles a lot of us are used to doing.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 03 2014 at 10:57am
Sponsored Links

LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 11:01am
Oh my goodness, you clearly feel like debating. I really do not feel like responding to all of this because it is meaningless to me. I will just correct your statement that the hair produces oils. It does not. The scalp is the source of the oils. That is just one example of how you've got everything kind of screwy.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 11:11am
I won't even pretend I read the last couple pages so forgive me if I'm off topic but shingling didn't really work for me. It left me with that Sideshow Bob look. I think people are obsessed with getting their hair to lie down when it's not ready or it just isn't that type of hair. I'll take upright, shiny coils any day than stretched out, gelled down spikes. I'm not saying shingling is bad. It's great if it works for you. But I like my wash and gos best when I take each curl and define it individually rather than smushing them down en masse.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 11:14am
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

Oh my goodness, you clearly feel like debating. I really do not feel like responding to all of this because it is meaningless to me. I will just correct your statement that the hair produces oils. It does not. The scalp is the source of the oils. That is just one example of how you've got everything kind of screwy.

honestly, you knew what I was trying to say. Scalp, hair. I was basically saying that it doesn't produce water, it produces oil. and i clearly implied that was what I was trying to say, when I said the science of black hair shows that the oil has trouble spreading down the length of curlier hair types. The hair is able to absorb that oil into the shaft for the most part,but nothing just sprouts out of the hair shaft. Water however does enter the hair shaft. Word games like that are what you've been playing from the get go, dodging the issue.

You can end your statement with, "Well i'm right anyway", because that the only defense you have and you can't really back it up.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 11:18am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

I won't even pretend I read the last couple pages so forgive me if I'm off topic but shingling didn't really work for me. It left me with that Sideshow Bob look. I think people are obsessed with getting their hair to lie down when it's not ready or it just isn't that type of hair. I'll take upright, shiny coils any day than stretched out, gelled down spikes. I'm not saying shingling is bad. It's great if it works for you. But I like my wash and gos best when I take each curl and define it individually rather than smushing them down en masse.

Smoothing and raking, or shaking, do whatever works for you. The main point is that hydration will and has and does increase the ease of which your curls pop, to the point where the time consuming techniques can be done less and less. I urge you to try it for one week. You can try femmemuscleisback's summaration or graceexceeding's. I really feel it is the combination and the regimen that creates the ease, not so much the individual shingling techniques.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 11:21am
pinkcube I will def read this thread more closely and I'm always open to trying new things with my hair. I can't wait to chime in.

So wonderful to see debate and exchange of ideas in the natural section! It's usually so dry.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 11:29am
thank you so much for being open to this. yes I was prepared to defend my view against skeptics, since this seems like an almost "too good" post, I knew I would need to clarify what I meant, prove, educate and show that this isn't delusional or wishful thinking.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 03 2014 at 11:30am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 12:30pm
btw, I wanted to add one last note about just how much moisture really impacts the way your curls look, and the health of your curls. Like I said b4, my hair hated ecostyler gel. I posted about my experience sometime last year. I also have found my hair hated gels with hydrolyzed wheat protein. The use of ecostyler caused me to have a bald spot in my hair, and dry crunchy hair. This is back when I still equated softness alone with moisturized hair. I did strict protective styling and gentle hair practices to recover, making sure to seal my hair with oils, etc. That area was as smooth as a baby's butt. It wasn't until I incorporated ghe, that I found the missing link in my regimen. MOISTURE.

My hair had not grown in that area for over a year, long after abandoning gels in my regimen. But in 2 weeks of doing ghe everynight, and even during(no oils, no conditioner, just head sweat) the bald smooth look was gone and I could see buds of hair growth. Almost like the way buzz cuts look in comparison to a completely bald smooth shiny head. The only thing I probably did wrong was not cleansing my hair, because I was still putting shea butter and did a protective style on my other hair strands. Those areas had build up, and tangles from the protective style I had to spend hours dry detangling with my fingers. Where as the loose (because bald) section of my hair improved.

Fast forward 3 months later-- I had 1.5 inches of growth. See? the consistent application of MOISTURE being kept and almost sealed in on my hair for 12 hours in the night, helped my hair grow. But it did not stop there. My new growth was defined! That section of hair was in the area where my hair was the coarsest and tightest. I never has root to tip definition there, even when the hair there was longer. It Literally seemed grow out in curls, where as before, that hair would maybe clump at the ends and that's it, if I was lucky. This is even after doing numerous fingercoiling, shingling, etc techniques. Where as it was just pop! right out, no forcing, but clumping just from being wet. The method I'm talking about has the same effect on the hair, without starting from scratch, either.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 03 2014 at 12:33pm
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 1:10pm
I 100% agree that when it comes to type 4 hair, MOISTURE is everything. I, myself, am trying the GHE method for the first time this week.

I think what you're trying to consolidate are methods that keep the hair moisturized. If I were you, I'd consider organizing this information, writing an e-book, get some testimonials and makes some money, lol.

I think a good way to organize this information is to:
1. explain why type 4 hair gets dry so quickly
2. explain why type 4 hair gets tangled more easily
3. what needs to happen to have tangle-free, moisturized, coil-popping hair (answer: moisture and hair that clumps together)
3. provide different techniques that accomplish both of these
4. testimonials (that are well documented... some of these youtube videos are just "all over the place" as someone else said) that show people who used techniques, the time-frame, and the results they got.

Am I in the ball-park of what you are trying to do?
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 1:28pm
Is this video a good example of the method you're talking about?
http://youtu.be/gDQFUAJT8_s

What would happen if I did what this girl does AND did GHE?

Edited by kwicherbichen - Mar 03 2014 at 1:29pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>