Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Was This Discussed...Controversial Painting NSFW
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Was This Discussed...Controversial Painting NSFW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:02pm
yt homelands?????  they can always go back to the caves...or wherever the hell they mysteriously appeared from....stupid f*ckers...

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Feb 01 2013 at 1:02pm
Sponsored Links

Finesseful View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Finesseful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:07pm
That picture was disgusting. This is why I will never understand some black folks desire to fraternize and be accepted by white people so much. In essence this is what many of them think of us. 
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:08pm
i don't like the painting. 
but im not a big art buff either. 
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

The blobs of black ink does her work a disservice as it does not depict anguish in the slaves faces. from the pictures in the OP, the slaves look like willing participants. But again, I'm not that sophisticated when it comes to this kind of stuff.Sleepy  

Exactly!! That's one of the first things I noticed.

You have a picture of a woman giving head but their is no expression on her face. How is someone to know whether that was rape or consenting sex? I call bs in all her reasonings for drawing this sh*t. There are other ways she could have done this without bein offensive.

How could chattel consent to anything though ?
If people come to the conclusion that this was sex then they have problems too.
There should be no confusion

The point being

You can't just have a picture of a woman in bent over, or sucking some dick, and claim it "represents" the rape they went through. Their is no emotion or facial expressions in some of these pictures whatsoever. I know it isn't consensual, I never said it was. I'm saying, that when someone has a controversial picture like this, there needs to be some clarity in what the slaves are feeling and going through. 

Everyone isn't black and they don't know our history. I'd be even willing to say a lot of non-blacks don't even know that slaves were raped and mutilated by slave owners, so if a person who doesn't know any better sees some of these, they aren't going to automatically think "rape". I don't fault them for that nor do I believe "they have problems" if they don't see it as we do. It is the Artist responsibility to convey the meanings behind art like this, not the person viewing the art responsibility to know slave history and understand what she is trying to say.

I never said you said anything.
And I disagree that isn't the artists responsibility people will come to their own conclusions about the meaning behind a work.
I believe authorial intent holds no weight after that work is published.

Yes ppl have a problem if they view a slave having sex with his " master" as consensual sex( if they recognize the person as a slave)
There is no wiggle room there.

Edited by jonesable - Feb 01 2013 at 1:14pm
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

yt homelands?????  they can always go back to the caves...or wherever the hell they mysteriously appeared from....stupid f*ckers...

Stop being mean to those Europeans who "borrow" words from Sanskrit to describe their superior white selves. LOL
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

On that note, here's a link to a website that showcases postcards the sick f*cks made of lynchings

http://withoutsanctuary.org/main.html

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Exactly. Show more of the brutality. Sure its hard to digest but it happened. Like what if she were to do a depiction of the pregnant black woman who was lynched and whose baby was cut out of the womb and stomped to death by white racists. Maybe just reading about it isn't enough to understand the brutality of racists.

I'm going to compile some of her pieces and send them to you soon. This actually sounds very familiar and I think that she's done something similar.

Oh yes, them crakkkas would have little "pick a nicca" events and barbeques and send out postcards with lynchings. they had postcards and I believe stamps for the "gator baits" too.

I think up in the spirituality thread somewhere I posted a video based on a book with slaves talking about the sh!t they when through. One slave talks about getting lashes and from there had to lay down and let massa's cat use his back back as a scratching postAngry

BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:17pm
Well there's another element to the rape as well...we can't see their facial expressions but so many enslaved people were forced to bear it without showing emotion because that's how their masters wanted it. Many had to learn how to mask how painful and dehumanizing rape (and many other experiences of slavery) in order to preserve themselves for further punishments and sadistic acts.

There was a recording of a former slave woman in the Smithsonian speaking about being raped. I think that it was recorded around 1910. This woman said that she just learned to live with it Cry

So I'm not here to protect Kara Walker, like I said, I'm not particularly a fan. But from my end, the ambiguity does serve a purpose.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:19pm
Yeah the author and her views mean nothing to me
I fully disagree with her but I set that aside and look at the painting through my own lens .
What she meant by the painting is her own business her pov is basically insignificant now.( I feel that way about all authors)
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Well there's another element to the rape as well...we can't see their facial expressions but so many enslaved people were forced to bear it without showing emotion because that's how their masters wanted it. Many had to learn how to mask how painful and dehumanizing rape (and many other experiences of slavery) in order to preserve themselves for further punishments and sadistic acts.

There was a recording of a former slave woman in the Smithsonian speaking about being raped. I think that it was recorded around 1910. This woman said that she just learned to live with it Cry

So I'm not here to protect Kara Walker, like I said, I'm not particularly a fan. But from my end, the ambiguity does serve a purpose.

IA

that's just devastatingCry

noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:21pm
I understand the ambiguity as well. But from the pictures alone, I could sense that something was off about the author's intent which is why I did a quick Google search on her. My findings confirmed my beliefs.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic