Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Was This Discussed...Controversial Painting NSFW
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Was This Discussed...Controversial Painting NSFW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was This Discussed...Controversial Painting NSFW
    Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:34am
Repost???

Newark Public Library displays drawing of slave having sex with white man

by Associated Press |

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — A library that covered up a drawing of a black female slave having sex with a white man after workers found it inappropriate is displaying it again.

The drawing, created by black artist Kara Walker, shows the horrors many blacks faced after the Civil War and during reconstruction and includes a depiction of a slave performing oral sex. It initially was hung during Thanksgiving in the Newark Public Library’s second-floor reference room, but officials reluctantly covered it with a cloth after one day because some workers complained it was insensitive.

The Star-Ledger newspaper reported Sunday that library officials and staffers have since met to discuss the drawing and decided it could be uncovered.

Library employee Kendell Willis told the newspaper that he had a better understanding of the library officials’ position after the meeting.

“They said there are a lot of things in artwork we don’t want to talk about, and that made absolute sense,” he said.

Library officials plan to invite Walker to speak about the drawing, artistic freedom and the role of black artists in society.

“The library should be a safe harbor for controversies of all types, and those controversies can be dealt with in the context of what is known about art, about literature, democracy and freedom,” library trustee Clement A. Price, a Rutgers university history professor, told the newspaper. “There’s no better venue in Newark where such a powerful and potential controversial drawing should be mounted.”

Price noted that the portrayal of the black American experience is a sensitive issue.

“Should we be depicted sentimentally, romantically?” he said. “Should some of the grotesque realities be depicted in art or movies?”

Some more of her work, for those who are not familiar:

Are folks overreacting? Or are they justified?

Sponsored Links

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (23) Thanks(23)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:51am
A slave having sex with white men? That's what they call a picture of a white men raping a slave women? Cleaning up the truth as usual.Ermm

Anywho, I think this particular artwork maybe a bit much for a 2nd floor public library but not for art galleries or something similar. Then again, I don't know what type of artwork has previously been featured in the library.

Interesting work though and I hope some type of productive dialogue comes from displaying the artwork.
Qualified View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qualified Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:54am
I will be back. That artwork is DEEEEEeeeeeppp. Im processing it all.
danieb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote danieb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 2:06am
What is wrong with this bish?
Trying to capitalize off the rape and humiliation that our ancestors faced? Fucc her

This ain't no damn art!!!
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 2:10am
whats happening in the last pic?
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 2:15am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

A slave having sex with white men? That's what they call a picture of a white men raping a slave women? Cleaning up the truth as usual.Ermm

Anywho, I think this particular artwork maybe a bit much for a 2nd floor public library but not for art galleries or something similar. Then again, I don't know what type of artwork has previously been featured in the library.

Interesting work though and I hope some type of productive dialogue comes from displaying the artwork.

Alla this. The whole post actually
OrriannaRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrriannaRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 3:15am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

whats happening in the last pic?

A slave getting raped by a man with one leg?
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:06am
what women? i see sex with children.
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:09am
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

What is wrong with this bish?
Trying to capitalize off the rape and humiliation that our ancestors faced? Fucc her

This ain't no damn art!!!

That's exactly what she is doing.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic