Perfect Hair Collection

Walking While Black: Cop Pulls Gun on Teen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walking While Black: Cop Pulls Gun on Teen
    Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 2:33am

Teen wants apology after officer pulls gun

By  Allison Manning

The Columbus Dispatch Sunday June 30, 2013 6:31 AM

Kyle Robertson | Dispatch

Xzavier Brandon, 16, had a gun pointed at him and was handcuffed by a police officer on his way to football practice.

Xzavier Brandon went from a 16-year-old honor student to a felony suspect in a matter of minutes during a walk to school last month.

“A gun was pointed at me and handcuffs were put on me, and that’s everything that’s done to a criminal,” Brandon said in an interview last week.

Exempt from final exams because of good test scores at New Albany High School, Brandon was walking his usual route to preseason football practice on May 28 when a resident of Hilltop Trail Drive thought he looked suspicious. A house in the Northeast Side neighborhood had been broken into between 8:30 a.m. and 12:40 p.m., when the homeowner returned and discovered the crime.

About the same time, Mike Eberts, who lives in the neighborhood, saw Brandon walking by and called 911.

“There’s someone walking down the street who might have something to do with this,” he told the Columbus police dispatcher. “It may just be a coincidence that he’s just walking by, but it sure looks suspicious to me.” He told the dispatcher he would follow the youth in his car.

Brandon remembered that he had said hello to a man he didn’t know as he passed, but he kept walking toward Thompson Road. He had headphones on while listening to his iPod, he said, and it wasn’t until he heard a loud shout, turned around and saw a gun in his face that he realized something was wrong. Officer Leonard Milner told the teen to drop to the ground and then handcuffed him and asked if he had any jewelry in his backpack. Brandon said he didn’t.

As he was on the ground at the side of busy Thompson Road, he tried to turn his face so he wouldn’t be recognized, he said. Brandon, who will be a junior at New Albany in the fall, said he’s active in football, school and volunteering.

“I was a little insulted that anyone in New Albany would think I was a threat,” he said.

He was held until another officer showed up about 15 minutes later and vouched for him. That officer, Sgt. Tyrone Hollis, knew Brandon from his son’s football team and gave him a ride to the high school after he was released.

Because there was no arrest, no report was filed, and that makes both Brandon and his mother, Jo Brandon-Jones, angry.

“Something serious just happened,” he said. “And in my opinion, it was just blown off.”

Brandon-Jones filed an internal-affairs complaint with the Police Division, alleging that Milner used excessive force when he encountered her son. That review likely will take months to complete.

Sgt. Elrico Alli, a police spokesman, said the officer was approaching someone who might have just committed a burglary, a serious crime.

“Whenever we encounter anything that involves a felony, or serious physical harm ... we display our firearms,” Alli said.

Eberts, the neighbor who called police, said this week, “I wasn’t accusing anyone of anything. I simply was encouraging the police to talk with someone in the area.” He wouldn’t elaborate on what he thought was suspicious about Brandon.

Brandon, who is black, wonders whether Eberts suspected him of the crime because of his race.

“What other reason would he have to call police on me?” he asked.

The encounter might not have ended safely if he had reached in his pocket to turn off his iPod or hadn’t heard the officer’s commands, he pointed out. “I could have been shot. I could have been killed that day.”

Both mom and son would like an apology from the police officer, an acknowledgement that what Brandon went through was wrong.

“You can’t undo it,” Brandon-Jones said. “But you can make it better.”

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/06/30/teen-wants-apology-after-officer-pulls-gun.html

Sponsored Links

CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 2:44am
Everyone knows it's a crime to even breathe while black smh...Sleepy

This reminds me of that post from a while back when these two black teenagers were mobbed by the police for no damn reason and this lady caught it on camera.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 2:53am
^Wait, what Cherry? I shouldn't be shocked at this point but smh!

I wish nothing but bad things pon this yt man.
"There’s someone walking down the street who might have something to do with this,” he told the Columbus police dispatcher. “It may just be a coincidence that he’s just walking by, but it sure looks suspicious to me.” He told the dispatcher he would follow the youth in his car.
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 2:58am
I was instantly reminded of Trayvon MartinSleepy

Yeah I can't remember who posted that thread but the woman caught everything on film
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 2:59am
yep sounds about right

....stupid crakkas

im just glad the boy was unharmed

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 3:03am
I remember that thread.

That happened in Oakland

And ten lady was screaming, " you already know who I am", and stated her name

That was a scary vid

They should sue
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 4:34am
Jacked from another site:

His crimes:
1: Being black in a white neighborhood
2: Being black period
3: Walking while black
4: Living while black
5: Being tall, built big and black
6: Being young while black
7: Being black and black

Unhappy
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 5:04am
Sad.....Cops get paid to do whatever the hell they want without serious repercussions.
cvzx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote cvzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 5:11am
Glad there's social media....stories like this need to be passed around. I'm tired of this happening. We need to get Police to atleast second guess themselves before they profile.
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

I was instantly reminded of Trayvon MartinSleepy

a lot of similarities

i hope that they sue.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training