BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Volkswagen ‘Jamaican Super Bowl ad sparks de

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 10:51am
Ricky

It has less to do with who's offended and more to do with who's doing the offending

100% of Jamaicans could have no problem with this ad and this ad could still be a product of White ignorance

"Positive stereotyping" is still stereotyping. No person of color should endorse their group being portrayed as simple and monolith... then you really can't be mad when you're portrayed as simple and monolith in a negative light
Sponsored Links

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 10:59am
whites are unarguably monolith

that is one of racism's victories ... convincing groups they've marginalized into disbanding in order to prove their individual value

india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

I thought it was cute and makes me want a VW
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 12:08pm
In class right now...professor asked everyone's favorite commercial...Asian white blk all excited about the Volkswagen commercial...
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 12:23pm
funny cause "Germans" are seen as super serious machines who are highly unfunny beer drinkers... lets not forget that whole WW2 thing.

I can see why Volkswagen would aim for "the happiest" perceived group of people and utilize their positive spirit in a new ad. 
iNFATUATE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iNFATUATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 2:42pm
Yt people are stupid.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Ricky

It has less to do with who's offended and more to do with who's doing the offending

100% of Jamaicans could have no problem with this ad and this ad could still be a product of White ignorance

"Positive stereotyping" is still stereotyping. No person of color should endorse their group being portrayed as simple and monolith... then you really can't be mad when you're portrayed as simple and monolith in a negative light

Happy isnt a synonym for simple. I truly do not believe that's whats being portrayed in this ad. Jamaicans are known for our "no problem" laid back persona and culture. Its the truth. Was Bey mocking us too when she dutty whined and used our dialect? I dont think so. There are even white re e artists...is that a negative thing?
Of all the countries in the Caribbean, they choosed JA and I think thats because of our uniqueness and culture and the impact we have made worldwide as a small island nation.
Brand jamaica has benefited from the VW ad without a dollar being spent on our part.
thats a positive if you ask me.

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

I understand why people would be offended when looking at it from an AA perspective but there is a difference

the accent and sayings were relatively authentic, not a caricature 

and the majority of jamaicans are proud to be jamaican 

... and by proud I mean from what I read here, AAs generally would be offended by being represented with ebonics or inner city colloquialisms (understandable given american history) ... jamaicans are generally proud of the accent and patois, even if they don't use patois everyday, most will use it on occasion in certain situations

Thumbs Up
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 2:59pm
I just don't trust 'em.

I find it funny they had no Black folk in the commercial. Hmmm.

I just don't trust 'em lol
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I just don't trust 'em.

I find it funny they had no Black folk in the commercial. Hmmm.

I just don't trust 'em lol

Lol No blk folk? Hmmm may need to rewatch.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic