Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

VMAs 2013 Thread...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 72737475>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 3:43pm
Here’s where the racial fissures in feminism come out: by all means, defend a woman’s right to govern her own body; it’s great that white feminists have that goal at the top of their lists. But meanwhile, as a woman of color, I’m still defending my right to actually be considered a body at all and not decoration. Expressing your sexuality at my expense isn’t okay. You don’t get to claim sexual freedom while simultaneously perpetuating the oppression of another body. When you feel the need to express your sexuality by turning my body into an accessory, the black feminist in me—two identities which I refuse to separate—can’t have your back anymore. The feminist struggle is a struggle for autonomy. It’s a fight for recognition and full-body respect. But in Cyrus’ search for and exploration of her sexual identity, she limits my autonomy as a woman of color. She appropriates it. She cheapens it. She effectively uses the identity and lived experiences of so many women of color as a crutch for her career.

For the women in her “We Can’t Stop” video apparently used to give her “credibility”;
What do you think?

for the (mis)use of our slang and our language—which, since the time of the transatlantic slave trade, we’ve been fighting to keep ownership of;
for the (mis)use of our style, the particular way we decorate our bodies;
for the black woman Cyrus smacked on the bottom during her VMAs performance and then casually dismissed—quite literally reduced to a faceless, body-less prop;

Edited by Rumbera - Aug 28 2013 at 3:46pm
Sponsored Links

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 3:44pm
i cannot stand yt feminist.  and i wish black feminist would rebuke them...
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 3:49pm
a little bit mas.....

in the middle of this display of entire disrespect for my black femininity, I’m hearing very little to nothing at all from mainstream white feminists. And while it’s certainly frustrating and worth criticizing, I understand where the disconnect comes from; we come from an entirely different history of experiences and legacy of oppression. For white women, Slut Walks are a demonstration in favor of women permitting themselves and demanding the room to be more sexual than their predecessors. Meanwhile, black women have spent the past few centuries struggling to do the opposite. Historically, black women are actively being hyper-sexualized; the black feminist struggle, then, is a fight to remove that hyper-sexual assumption from our bodies. Note, though, in light of the contrast, that both movements are indeed a struggle for all women to be allowed to express the full range of their sexuality.

Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Here’s where the racial fissures in feminism come out: by all means, defend a woman’s right to govern her own body; it’s great that white feminists have that goal at the top of their lists. But meanwhile, as a woman of color, I’m still defending my right to actually be considered a body at all and not decoration. Expressing your sexuality at my expense isn’t okay. You don’t get to claim sexual freedom while simultaneously perpetuating the oppression of another body. When you feel the need to express your sexuality by turning my body into an accessory, the black feminist in me—two identities which I refuse to separate—can’t have your back anymore. The feminist struggle is a struggle for autonomy. It’s a fight for recognition and full-body respect. But in Cyrus’ search for and exploration of her sexual identity, she limits my autonomy as a woman of color. She appropriates it. She cheapens it. She effectively uses the identity and lived experiences of so many women of color as a crutch for her career.
What do you think?

ITA! Yt folks have forever taken us apart, like Sara Baartman, for their own personal gain which at the same time further minimizes who we are and makes us less human and not to be taken seriously.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 3:57pm
I had go retreat from the black feminist camp bc most of them are so far up the white feminists ass they don't see that so many of our issues are sooooo different.
There was a fem rally with the feminists holding " slut" signs talking about re claiming their sexual rights.
Holding up " Im a Slut so what " signs.

Nah y'all can have that .
Black feminists were holding them too and saying its disrespectful to call them ladies.

Well gon' 'head.

I got a little perspective and I'm glad for it...

Me and an active feminist who is a director at Northwestern go back and forth on the black and white feminist line.
I love our talks but she knows that some of her white female ideals I don't get down with.
But I like her

Edited by jonesable - Aug 28 2013 at 3:59pm
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Word on the skreet is that JC might be releasing more music?

*Puts on coon tap shoes and top hat* I'll be the first one to download that album.Cry
its so funny. i never liked jc until that mtv dance show..but now when i listen to the old songs im like...he sung way better than justin. lol @ jc singing all day i dream about sex...anyways....

by the way...does anybody know that one member of the group that wore the braids...whats his name??? lmfao. like who is he? LOL ok theres jc, justin, joey, lance...and ...that guy...
CryLOL
purple.chuckz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

*Puts on coon tap shoes and top hat* I'll be the first one to download that album.Cry
its so funny. i never liked jc until that mtv dance show..but now when i listen to the old songs im like...he sung way better than justin. lol @ jc singing all day i dream about sex...anyways....

by the way...does anybody know that one member of the group that wore the braids...whats his name??? lmfao. like who is he? LOL ok theres jc, justin, joey, lance...and ...that guy...
CryLOL

How you going to do Chris Kirpatrick (spelling?) like that? 
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Fraiche2Death Fraiche2Death wrote:

Right behind you! Grabs coon cane dance prop..*tappity tap tap* LOL

lol! That's 2 ladies so far. Who else wants to join our nsync coon review?LOL
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 4:26am
Cryi really did forget about him purp. LOL i dont remember him ever actually standing out...minus them braids...hated that.
TexasBaby03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote TexasBaby03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Fraiche2Death Fraiche2Death wrote:

Right behind you! Grabs coon cane dance prop..*tappity tap tap* LOL

I cant!LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLCryCryCry
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 72737475>
  Share Topic