Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - VitD Deficiency Linked to Dementia and Alzheimer's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

VitD Deficiency Linked to Dementia and Alzheimer's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VitD Deficiency Linked to Dementia and Alzheimer's
    Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 12:00pm

Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease

Added by Tabitha Farrar on August 7, 2014.
Saved under Alzheimer's disease, Dementia, Health, Tabitha Farrar
Tags: dementia

Dementia

Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia in a new study published today in the Journal Neurology. The researchers evaluated the levels of vitamin D in participants by taking blood samples as well as monitoring the sources of the nutrient. They then correlated the results with the prevalence of disorders relating to cognitive degeneration.

Sources of vitamin D that were recorded included those from dietary intake, exposure to sunlight and dietary supplements. Natural food sources of vitamin D include fatty fish like tuna, mackerel and salmon, whole milk, cheese and eggs. People following a strict vegan or vegetarian diet often struggle to achieve an adequate intake of vitamin D, so supplements are recommended.

Some health advocates believe that the only adequate way to achieve an optimal form of vitamin D is via exposure to direct sunlight for a small amount of time on a daily basis. When skin is exposed to sunlight, vitamin D can be manufactured by the body. Others believe that even this type of exposure can lead to an increased risk of skin cancer and is therefore inadvisable.

There is controversy surrounding commercial foods fortified with an artificially manufactured version of vitamin D as studies have shown that this can be toxic to the human body when consumed in large quantities. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, so in order to be metabolized it needs the presence of fat. Low-fat foods are not a good source of vitamin D for this reason.

It can be confusing for consumers to work out how to get an optimum supply of vitamin D, but recently the problems associated with an inadequate amount of vitamin D have been highlighted. The recent study found that the risk of developing dementia doubles for older people if they are deficient in vitamin D. Using 1,658 healthy participants whom they tracked for five and a half years, the researchers recorded that by the end of the trails, 171 of the participants had developed dementia. Of these, 102 cases were Alzheimer’s disease.

David Llewellyn, study author, said that the link was much stronger than the researchers had anticipated it would be. The research team had expected to find a low-strength link between Alzheimer’s disease, dementia and vitamin D deficiency, but their results actually gave them a link twice as strong as expected.

A decline in cognitive functioning and memory are characteristics of dementia. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia with approximately five million people in the United States currently suffering from the disease. They study found that people with low levels of vitamin D were 54 percent more likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease.

This was the first large, population-based study to examine the link between cognitive decline and vitamin D deficiency. The researchers commented on a number of brain-based mechanisms that require the presence of vitamin D in order to operate. There are vitamin D receptors throughout the brain, including areas that are involved in memory function such as the hippocampus.

Another recent study found that disruption of the vitamin D receptor pathways is involved in the inflammatory component of Alzheimer’s disease, giving some indication that the nutrient plays an important part in keeping the brain functioning in a healthy fashion. A study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease showed that in laboratory rats, learning and memory decline can be reduced with the administration of vitamin D supplementation.

The study published this week concluded that further research would be needed to replicate the findings and extend them to more diverse populations. The results however gave strong support to the theory that vitamin D has a protective role in the preservation of cognitive function. Overall, the study found a very strong link between vitamin D deficiency and forms of dementia such as Alzheimer’s disease.

By Tabitha Farrar

Sources:
Neurology
Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease
Forbes

Read more at http://guardianlv.com/2014/08/vitamin-d-deficiency-linked-to-dementia-and-alzheimers-disease/#Zm8ILsfB3fqzx72G.99

Edited by tatee - Aug 09 2014 at 12:02pm
Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 12:05pm
Vit d is linked to a ton of sh*t

That's why I supplement with it being black in this place with no sun
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 12:42pm
interesting.  i will be doing some more research on this for sure.  thanks for posting!
bubblyboo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblyboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 1:12pm
I am vitamin d deficient smh
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by bubblyboo bubblyboo wrote:

Damn near everybody is.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 1:17pm
Let me go stock up on vitamin D right now. I'll gobble that sheit by the truck load if it can help me keep Alzheimer's at bay.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 2:18pm
lol

just keep your blood pressure down, alzheimers and dementia are usually a result of small vessel disease which is a secondary to high blood pressure

with vit d you would be worried about things like depression some cancers (primarily prostatic cancers in men) etc

but yeah.. the reason these co' dont tout vit d like everything else is coz they cant patent it hence theres no fan fare and what not

Edited by afrokock - Aug 09 2014 at 2:19pm
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 2:27pm

most bw are. It's linked to fibroids as well.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

lol

just keep your blood pressure down, alzheimers and dementia are usually a result of small vessel disease which is a secondary to high blood pressure

with vit d you would be worried about things like depression some cancers (primarily prostatic cancers in men) etc

but yeah.. the reason these co' dont tout vit d like everything else is coz they cant patent it hence theres no fan fare and what not

High blood pressure also runs in my family. It might explain a few things. I control it with medication.

I was joking about gobbling it up LOL I'm sure there are contraindications for too much vitamin D but I will definitely look into it. I'm already supplementing with other things.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

most bw are. It's linked to fibroids as well.

Fibroids have long been the bane of my existence.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>