Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Vitamin D deficiency and hair loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aziza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aziza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2013 at 6:53pm
Thanks for posting OP. I too suffer from Vitamin D deficiency. I live in Canada and I work in the Arctic. My summers are very short.  I have been feeling tired  and my hair is getting thinner lately but I never thought it could be related to the Vitamin D deficiency. I thought that my tiredness and thinner hair could be related to iron deficiency because I also have low iron.
Sponsored Links

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2013 at 7:05pm
When I went to the health food store around my area I was looking for sulfur powder, Emu oil and stuff to grow my hair and the little old white lady(owner) told me I was wasting my time. She said my hair thining is due to is lack of vitamin D. She wanted to do a biopsy of my scalp right there in the store and send to a lab to tell me what other vitamins ans minerals I was lacking. She said the lab test specified what a person was low and high in for $150 but I was giving her the side eye thinking she just wanted my $150. I see she was actually telling the truth.
902sexxi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 902sexxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2013 at 3:08am
Femmemuscle, I'll try this method. So it gives you energy all day? I really need to get on this.
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2013 at 11:43pm
Yes, it does give you energy.  I did have very heavy/painful periods. To the point of having to call out sick, feeling very sluggish, and not working out during that time of the month.

Since i started this about 2-3 months ago..things are changing.  Less Hair Shedding for one.  This month, when Auntie Flo came around? i went to the gym right after work, and ran/walked the treadmill.  Just as i would have any other day.

The strange part is? I've been supplementing for years with various homeopathics, probiotics,  vitamins/minerals.  I thought i had enough from my supplementation to provide my daily requirements.  I guess the BSM filled in something that i was lacking all of these years. 

I do have a very strenuous work out regimen as well as work schedule.  I must have been depleted and didn't know it.

Confused
902sexxi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 902sexxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 2:15am
Thanks Femmemuscle! I work a crazy schedule too and sometimes I feel so rundown. Hopefully this will be a nice cheap energy booster for me!
ejfel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ejfel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 6:56pm
Back story, I'd been researching vitamin D deficiency for a while now because I have Fibroids. Not only vitamin D, but allot of other vitamins/supplements. Most of the supplements I take are for anti-aging, and congitive purposes. I wanted to get a regimen going to target my fibroids, so I asked my doctor for the test.
I just received my results  and I am also deficient. What really irks me is that I had to ask for the test and the doctor didn't want to write the order initially. Also, when the results came back, no one called me to tell me anything. I had to be the one calling and asking for a prescription. It came back below 13. Since the doctor was busy, I asked to speak to a nurse about it, I'm talking to her, asking her questions. I tell her, well black people in general are deficient because the melanin of our skin prevents vitamin d from the sun from getting into our body. This woman tells me that its not true and don't believe everything you hear. Mind you, this is a BLACK nurse. After she said that, I was ready to be out of her office, everything else that came out of her mouth as BS. What I don't understand is if a health care professional dont know about a certian topic, why dont they jsut say, I dont know much about vitamin D deficiency, so I can't help you? I left her office still with questions I'm trying to get answers to.

Anyway, I got the prescription yesterday (that's another story for another day), and she puts me on 5000 units a week for twelve weeks. I haven't started taking it yet. I think I'll take the first dose sunday. But ladies, be careful with vitamind D deficiency. There is a correlation between being deficient and Fibroids, Alzheimer, Parkinsons, cognitive issues, hair loss, Flu, etc. 

Also, when you buy your vitamin d, make sure it is D3, or a combination of d2/d3. When I got my prescription, I asked the pharmacist what type of d vitamin it was, and when is the best time to take the supplement. She told me any time is fine. Well okay... Vitamin d is a fat soluble vitamin, so its best to take it with your largest meal that contains the most fat. For me, that would be dinner.

Here is a link to a very good article on Vitamin D, and an excerpt
Vitamin D: The Vitamin You Shouldn't Live Without
Vitamin D: The Vitamin You Shouldnt Live Without
  • Insufficient vitamin D is linked to virtually every age-related disorder including cancer, vascular disease, and chronic inflammation.
  • Human studies show that higher levels of vitamin D protect against cancer and other age-related ailments.
  • As humans age, they lose the ability to convert sunlight to vitamin D in their bodies.
  • Scientists have identified reduced vitamin D levels in winter months as a prime suspect for the seasonal increase in infectious disease cases.
  • Aging persons need to supplement with about 5,000 IU of vitamin D each day and have regular blood tests to achieve optimal blood levels.
  • Vitamin D is a fat-soluble nutrient, so it's important to take it with the largest meal of the day.
  • Individuals with certain chronic health conditions may not be able to take higher doses of vitamin D.
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote missyo67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 8:15pm

Vitamin D affects everything. You would be suprised

Vitamin D is related to hormones and related to thyroid and related to depression/well being and related to other immune dysfunction. Iodine is another valuable tool to help with wellness and decreasing breast cancer risk.

Fibroids supplements I recommend.  I have been using these supplements for about 6 months and my periods are lighter. I highly recommend researching the below supplements.

Lugol's Solution
Vitalzym (Enzyme)
Selenium
Methal-folate
DIM

Edited by missyo67 - Feb 28 2013 at 8:17pm
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missyo67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by 902sexxi 902sexxi wrote:

Femmemuscle, I'll try this method. So it gives you energy all day? I really need to get on this.
You likely need a B Complex/stress supplement in addition to D3.  D-ribose is also a good way to get added energy.  If you have a sluggish thyroid or adrenal fatigue consider Lugol's/iodine. If you are very low consider taking 10000iu daily. 

Edited by missyo67 - Feb 28 2013 at 8:21pm
ejfel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejfel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 6:26pm
hmm, actually my dose is 50,000 units , not 5k like I wrote, but I only take it once a week for 12 weeks per my prescription. I wonder if it would be better to take 7,000 units a day instead.
For those of you who were also deficient, how much vitamin D were you prescribed?
I Plan on taking betweek 1k to 5k a day after this prescription, depending on what my levels are then.

eta: duration of prescription.

Edited by ejfel - Mar 01 2013 at 6:39pm
ejfel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejfel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by missyo67 missyo67 wrote:

Vitamin D affects everything. You would be suprised

Vitamin D is related to hormones and related to thyroid and related to depression/well being and related to other immune dysfunction. Iodine is another valuable tool to help with wellness and decreasing breast cancer risk.

Fibroids supplements I recommend.  I have been using these supplements for about 6 months and my periods are lighter. I highly recommend researching the below supplements.

Lugol's Solution
Vitalzym (Enzyme)
Selenium
Methal-folate
DIM
thanks, missyo67 for the recommendationsHug. I need to take one more test where I check the hormones in my body (testosterone, estradiol, progesterone, DHEA) before I can come up with a good supplement regimen. As soon as I do, I will post it.
I was going to add a pancreatic enzyme for sure. I read if they are taken on an empty stomach, they may eat away at the fibroids. I'm off to check on the enzyme you posted, "vitalzym" and see what kind it is.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic