Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Exercise, Fitness, & Health > Diets, Diets, and More Diets!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VEGETARIAN // VEGAN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VEGETARIAN // VEGAN
    Posted: Oct 19 2014 at 10:19pm
I have been thinking about giving it a try.

When I have all my stuff together I will post what I am doing, and for how long. Hopefully by Nov 1st.

I am tired of being/feeling sluggish. I don't eat too much meat, but apparently what I am eating may be affecting me.

The process of elimination begins

Sponsored Links

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2014 at 1:19pm
Watched the Oprah Show segment where she suggested her staff eat Vegan for a week. It was my inspiration

Going to Farmers Market tomorrow. Will Chop and freeze, make sauces etc. Trying new vegetables

Collecting recipes from O My Veggies, and THUG Kitchen.

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2014 at 1:35am
So, while doing my research regarding going Vegan 80-10-10, Raw till 4, Vegetarian. I am looking at it all.
I came across "Magic Soup", and something clicked .    It was similar to Cabbage Soup. Which reminded me of my experience on Cabbage Soup Diet.
I lost 8lbs of 'whatever' my first week.   A month later I did the diet again, but what was more apparent, was that my weight loss occurred only during the first 4 days
Yeah, the days when I consumed Fruits & Soup(day 1); Vegetables & Soup (day 2); Fruits, Vegetables & Soup (day 3); Bananas & Soup (day 4).   When I incorporated other foods the weight loss stopped.
Now that that I have gained more insight into food combining and what some bodies digest better, I realize that my body responds better to Carbs
I have done Atkins, and dabbled with LCHF without success.
My body prefers Carbs
I will eventually have to 100% embrace a certain way of eating and stop the up and down.
Losing and gaining the same 20 lbs is tiring.
I cannot yet commit to Raw Vegan, Raw till 4, but Vegetarianism may be a possibility.
Tracking how my body respond when adding certain foods is key.
Sat Nov-1st I will start this quest and track my intake on Crono-meter and Fat Secret to ensure I do not exceed the 10-10 of Fats and protein.
I miss Pork already
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2014 at 12:51am
I have been so very busy and could not keep up with logging on, but I did start changing my way of eating on Nov 1st

My plan was to 'Juice' for at least 7 days. Mostly vegetables with 2 Apples.
The first 3 days were not great,   but I drank as much juice as needed to get through the day{s}.
Got really ill on the night of day 4 hugging the trash can.

On the night of day 7 I broke down and had 3 bananas. The following days I had juice/smoothie along with either a few bananas, an apple or a small avocado.

Completed day 12 today .   
I had vegetable/fruit smoothies for breakfast and lunch.   Dinner was a huge, really huge salad.   My actual first 'meal'.   A Salad never tasted so divine.

All in all, I lost 13 lbs !!!   I have not yet done any exercise yet.

My plan is to continue a Vegan diet.   I have done a lot of reading and video watching in the past weeks.

I cannot say I will never eat meat or eggs again, but for the present, I am content to eat Vegan.

I believe I can continue this way of eating because daily weighing over the past 12 days was not a priority.    I weighed on the 1st and 12th day only.    Weight loss and maintenance is a great motivation though.

Edited by Benni - Nov 13 2014 at 12:57am
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2014 at 1:59pm
WHAT’S HEALTHIEST? SOY SAUCE, TAMARI, OR BRAGG’S? WHAT ABOUT COCONUT AMINOS?

BY COLLEEN M. STORY

If you’re making stir-fry tonight, which condiment is healthiest to use?
If you’re getting ready to cook some stir-fry, rice, an Asian salad, soup, or other recipe that calls for soy sauce, you may find yourself a little stumped.   After all, there are alternatives out there.   What about tamari, or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos?   There’s even Coconut Aminos that are supposed to create a similar taste.

We decided to do some digging on all these condiments and report what we found.   Here are the pros and cons of each one—you get to choose which works for your recipe tonight!

Soy Sauce

Made from the fermented paste of boiled soybeans, salt, water, and sometimes roasted grains, soy sauce is a traditional condiment used in Asian cuisine, with a salty, earthy flavor that can easily transfer to all sorts of dishes. To make it, manufacturers cook the soybeans, then add in bacterial and fungal cultures to begin the fermentation process.   Roasted wheat and other grains can also be added for flavor.
The culture is then combined with a salt brine and allowed to “brew” for a time, while microorganisms break down the proteins and sugars naturally found in the soybeans.   The mixture is then pressed to extract the dark brown liquid, and finally, pasteurized before bottled.
There are a number of varieties of soy sauce, including:

Light: What we think of as “normal” soy sauce, this option contains fewer soybeans and more grains, mainly wheat.

Dark: These are typically fermented for a longer period of time.   Then manufacturers add molasses or caramel after the brewing process, to thicken the sauce and provide a sweeter flavor.
Dark soy sauce may also contain about 50 percent grains.

Low-Sodium: This option has less sodium than the other varieties, and is made using acid-hydrolyzed vegetable protein, which doesn’t use bacterial and fungal cultures and requires less salt.

Tamari: This option is made with mostly soybeans—and little to no wheat or other grains.   More on this below.   It has a smoother, deeper flavor.

Pros: Soy sauce has a potent flavor, and is rich in antioxidants, isoflavones, and protein.   Provides vitamin B6, which is important in forming good mood neurotransmitters.   The isoflavones may help prevent heart disease, and lower the risk of osteoporosis.   Some studies have suggested that it may provide some benefits to the digestive tract, with probiotics that support the growth of friendly bacteria in the gut.   The antioxidant density has also been compared with that of red wine.

Cons: It’s high in sodium—about 1,000 mg per serving.   For those watching their blood pressure or other health conditions, it may not be the healthiest option.   Soy sauce naturally contains MSG, which is produced during the fermentation process.   Because it’s not added, it may not be on the ingredient list.   The soybeans and wheat used to make the sauce may be contaminated with GMO crops.   Because of the wheat content, the sauce contains gluten, which may affect those with gluten sensitivities.   Soy is also a common food allergen.

Tamari

As mentioned above, Tamari is a version of soy sauce made with little-to-no grains.   Called “Japanese soy sauce,” it’s a deeper brown color and slightly thicker than ordinary soy sauce.   Some people prefer the darker, richer flavor.
The general rule of thumb with tamari is that it provides a better flavor for cooking, whereas regular soy sauce may be better on the table, though some prefer the smoother taste of tamari in dipping sauces as well.   Because of the lower level of grains, tamari is made with a greater concentration of soybeans, which changes not only the flavor, but some of the health benefits as well.

Pros: Provides niacin (vitamin B3), manganese, and mood-enhancing tryptophan, and contains more protein than regular soy sauce.   Other health benefits are similar to regular soy sauce.   Smooth, rich flavor is great in soups, salad dressings, and in a range of other dishes in place of salt.   Though some tamari sauces have some wheat, you can find wheat-free versions that work for a gluten-free diet.

Cons: Tamari is still high in sodium, though there are some reduced-sodium options that may be around 700 mg per serving.   Check the nutrition facts.   It also contains MSG, and may be an allergen to those who are sensitive.   You can find MSG-free options.   The soybeans used may also be GMO crops.

Bragg’s Liquid Aminos

Bragg’s has apparently admitted that they make this liquid protein concentrate by treating soybeans with hydrochloric acid to create free amino acids, then neutralizing the remaining acid with sodium bicarbonate, which creates sodium chloride—and the salty taste.   Corn syrup, caramel, water, and salt may be added to create flavor.
This product is said to be rich in amino acids like arginine, glutamic acid, glycine, serine, tyrosine, lysine, and more.   It’s marketed as a non-fermented alternative to soy sauce and tamari, and is often labeled as GMO-free.

Pros: Gluten-free, and GMO-free.   Still may contain naturally occurring MSG.   A good source of protein with healthy amino acids. Works as an alternative to soy in most recipes.

Cons: This type of sauce is sometimes called “chemical soy sauce” because it’s made by a chemical process rather than with natural bacterial and fungal cultures.   Some caution against using it because it is a so-called “artificial” sauce.   Though often advertised as having less sodium than other soy sauce options, check labels—some comparisons have found that it contains about the same amount or even more.   Be particularly careful about “serving sizes”—they may be lower than what you’re seeing on regular soy sauce.   Some say the flavor, as well, is not as good as fermented soy sauce.

Coconut Aminos

Made from raw, coconut tree sap and sun-dried sea salt, then naturally aged, this condiment is catching on as a potential alternative to soy sauce.   Completely free of soy, it has a dark, rich, and salty flavor with a faint, sweet aftertaste, and can be used in salads, marinades, and as a seasoning.

Pros: Gluten-free.   Soy-free. Lower sodium option. Contains a higher level of 17 amino acids, which may contribute to heart health, digestive health, and mood stabilization.   Also contains vitamins B and C, and various minerals.

Cons: Couldn’t find any!

Edited by Benni - Nov 16 2014 at 3:17pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2014 at 3:15pm
FOOD COMBINING FOR WEIGHT LOSS DIET

In our previous posts, we talked about simple eating habits in a weight loss program such as breaking your foods into 5 or 6 meals everyday, minimizing carbohydrate intake and to avoid carbohydrate after exercise etc.   However, there is another essential knowledge about your food intake for efficient weight loss that you MUST grasp: food combination.

All of us must have experienced bloated stomach and uncomfortable feeling after eating sumptuous and scrumptious foods.   Would you believe that it is due to the combination of different foods that turns our body into toxic condition and hence give you the sick stomach feeling?   I tell you, it is true because certain combination of foods in our stomach could actually slow or shut down the digestion as soon as they are in the stomach, and causing them to retain extra calories in your body.   In another words, taking certain combination of foods at the same time could actually impede your weight loss plan.

The science of this theory is called Trophology.   It is actually the study of the correct food-combining, that is, the art of knowing which foods go best with which others.   Understanding and application of this knowledge is of utmost importance in a weight loss diet program.

In this theory, all foods are categorized into one of the five groups below:

1. Proteins (Meat, eggs, nuts, beans, dairy products)
2. Carbohydrate (Rice, sugars, starches)
3. Fruits (Acidic fruits such as oranges and sweet fruits)
4. Fats (Animal- and vegetable-derived fats)
5. Vegetables (Non-starchy and mildly starchy)

So how could Trophology help in weight loss?

There are several rules in Trophology that you should adapt in an efficient weight loss diet plan.

AVOID THESE!

1. Avoid combining Proteins and Carbohydrates!

This is the first and most important rule to follow.   Protein digestion requires an acidic environment while carbohydrate digestion is most efficiently performed in an alkali atmosphere.   If an acid and an alkali are combined in the stomach, digestion would be tremendously affected and hence the foods would be retained in the stomach for a longer period of time.

However, there is an exception for this rule.   You may eat WHITE MEATS (eg. chicken, turkey, pork and fish) with carbohydrate.   In another word, you should strongly avoid RED MEATS (eg. Beef, buffalo, deer, lamb) with carbohydrate.

2. Avoid eating fruits with other food groups!
Fruits move through the digestive track very quickly and they they possess digestive enzymes that aid to remove any food residues left in your stomach.   Hence, to maximize the benefits of fruits, they should always be eaten solely on an empty stomach.   Bear in mind that NONE of the fruits mixes well with any other food because the chemical make-up of fruits does not interact well with any of the other food groups, therefore should be eaten alone as a snack or dessert or meal.

Another point to note down.   Fruits are made up of 4 groups:   Acidic fruits, Sub-Acidic Fruits and Melons.   You should avoid combining any of the fruit with any other food group, and each fruit group should be consumed separately from one another.

Acid fruits
High fiber contents and antioxidant properties. Approximate digestion time: 20 to 30 minutes.
Examples include blackberry, grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime, pineapple, sour plum, pomegranate, raspberry, soup apple, strawberry, tomatoes and so on.

Sub-Acid Fruits
Approximate digestion time: 30 to 40 minutes
Examples include apple, apricot, sweet plum, mango, peach, pear, kiwi, cherry.

Sweet fruits
Require longer time for digestion: 40 to 60 minutes.   They are not the best cleansers of the stomach, but provide essential minerals and sugars.
Examples include banana, currents, dates, figs, grapes, papaya, persimmon, prunes, raisins.

Melons
Made up of mainly water, which is very easy to digest (approximately 5 to 10 minutes).
Examples include watermelon, persian, honeydew, crenshaw, casaba, cantaloupe.

3. Avoid drinking milk with other foods!

This is probably the most controversial tip in Trophology as we are taught to drink milk for calcium acquisition.   The reason you should avoid milk is because milk combines poorly with any other food except itself.   Milk curdles soon upon reaching the stomach.   The curds surround other food in the stomach and insulates the foods from digestive enzymes.   This therefore delays the digestion process.

Besides, digestion of milk requires an enzyme called lactase.   There is 75% of adults worldwide showing decreased lactase activity, making digestion of milk difficult for them.   Most of the milk that we buy from store are actually processed and they are more indigestible compared to raw milk.   This is because the natural enzymes (such as lactase and lipase enzymes) present in the raw milk have been destroyed during the pasteurization (milk preparation step to kill germs) which could otherwise digest itself in the stomach.

In fact, calcium could be easily obtained from foods such as cheese, yogurt, broccoli, sardines, soybeans, cabbage, salmon, tofu, almonds, beans, and so on.

4. Avoid desserts straight after your meal!

Being slim and thin does not mean you must give up your lovely desserts altogether.   You just have to learn the right time to consume it. Desserts should only be taken at least one or two hours after your last meal.   This is simply because sweet foods do not combine well with other food groups.   If you eat your dessert straight after your meal, the mixture will putrefy in your body.   This can cause bloating, nauseous, uncomfortable gassy feeling in the stomach, constipated and inevitably put extra weight on you.   Therefore, let me repeat, eat your dessert only after your last meal has moved out from your stomach which usually takes one or two hours.   If possible, try to look for those with low saturated fats and trans fats.   However, if you want to lose weight fast, this unnecessary calorie should be totally avoided!

5. Avoid alcohol!

As mentioned in this post, 1 gram of alcohol gives you 7 calories which is higher than carbohydrate and protein which only gives 4 calorie per gram.   If you need a drink after a meal, plain water, lemon water and green tea are the best alternatives for you.   Plain water contains zero calorie while green tea and lemon water help boost metabolism rate and detoxification.

Learn more about how plain water, lemon water and green tea help in weight loss:

- How Does Plain Water Help in Weight Loss
- Lemon Water Helps to Lose Weight
- How Does Green Water Help to Lose Weight

Eat these for fast weight loss!

1. Eat Yogurt!

Yogurt is one of the best foods for weight loss and rapid fat shedding, along with many other benefits.   Research from the University of Tennessee has found that people that eat approximately two cups of yogurt everyday lost 22% more weight and 81% more belly fat than dieters who did not eat yogurt.   Besides helping in weight loss, yogurt contains probiotics which are bacterial cultures that promote healthy digestive system and lower the risks of colon cancer.   Besides, probiotics in the yogurt also boost immune system to fight illnesses.

2. Eat fat to lose fat!

Fats and oils, though, could slow down digestion efficiency, you have to eat fat to lose fat.   Fats give you energy and the structure to certain body hormones essential for normal daily activity.   But, you have to be careful of the types of fat you eat.   Basically they can be broadly categorized into good and bad fats.

Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are GOOD fats because they are good for your heart, cholesterol, and your overall health.   They are normally in liquid but not solid form.

Sources of these fats include olive oil, canola oil, nuts (almonds, peanuts, macademia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews), sesame oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil (unprocessed, extra virgin coconut oil), soybean oil, corn oil, grape seed oil, safflower oil, walnuts, fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines), soymilk, tofu and so on.

On the other hand, saturated and trans-fats are BAD fats.   They are the main contributor to heart disease, obesity, increased Triglyceride levels, high cholesterol, liver disorders, lymphatic congestion and acne.   Unlike the good fats, these fats are usually in soil forms.

Bad fats could easily be obtained from high-fat cuts of meat (beef, lamb, pork), chicken skin, whole-fat dairy products, butter, cheese, ice cream, palm, lard, stick margerine, commercially-baked pastries, cookies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes, candy bars, fried foods etc.

3. Drink plenty of water!

Water is the most vital element in life.   It flushes our bodies, keeps us hydrated and removes toxins from our body.   Refer to above on ''Avoid alcohol'' for more useful information on how water helps in losing weight.

4. Eat vegetables everyday!

Vegetable is a MUST when it comes to diet plan.   They are low in calorie but high in antioxidants.   As they are complex carbohydrate, our bodies have to burn more energy to breakdown fibrous foods compared to normal carbohydrate foods.   The more you include fiber in your diet, the faster you lose weight!   There are two types of vegetables, namely the starchy and the non-starchy types.   Both provides wonderful weight loss and healthy benefits, but the non-starchy are more effective.

Examples of non-starchy vegetables include asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, celery, beet greens, garlic, green beans, kale, parsley, spinach, sprouts and so on.

Examples of mildly-starchy vegetables are artichokes, beets, carrots, cauliflower, corn, peas.

5. Opt for fresh and raw foods over processed foods!

Canned and packaged foods are usually loaded with preservatives, saturated fats and artificial colorings and flavorings which are unfavorable for digestion process in the body, which could lead to fermentation and putrefaction.

Food combining is a controversial practice for weight loss.   It works for some, but not all.   There is no problem for the body at all in this type of eating habit.   Whether or not it is effective for you to lose weight, you just have to find out yourself.

Edited by Benni - Nov 16 2014 at 3:22pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2014 at 5:25pm
WWW.LOSEFATFASTWAY.COM

Lemon Water Helps to Lose Weight

Lemon is known for their sour taste which is widely used for culinary and non-culinary purpose.   The sour taste of lemon juice is derived from the high citric acid content in this fruit.

There have been numerous claims of the effectiveness of a lemon juice diet in weight loss program.   Is this true?   If yes, how should I apply in my diet plan?

How does Lemon Juice help in weight loss?

Lemon juice, as aforementioned, contains high citric acid which when consumed, interacts with the digestive enzymes and acids in the digestive track to break down your food.

Research has shown that the high acidic content of the lemon juice can lower the absorption of sugars from the food you eat.   This means that the less sugar will be turned into fat when they are not in use in the body.   Besides the juice, some dieters even eat the lemon peels along with the juice.   This double the effectiveness of lemon in weight loss because the lemon peels contain pectin.   Pectin helps in weight loss by turning into a gel-forming material in your stomach which reduces sugar absorption from the food you consume.

In addition, lemon juice helps absorption of calcium.   Higher acidity of the digestive system as a result of lemon juice consumption helps the body in the absorption of calcium from the food that you eat.   This calcium will then be stored up in the fat cells.   Research showed that calcium enhances fat-burning ability of the fat cells.

How to eat lemon for weight loss?

There are several ways to introduce lemon juice into your body in order to achieve weight loss.   You can simply drink lemon juice with warm water upon waking up in the morning.   Make sure that the outside of the lemon is washed thoroughly.   Add a slice to the water and sip like tea.

Some people choose to lose weight through the cleansing effect of lemon juice.   To achieve this, you can simply add a slice of lemon to drinking water and drink them throughout the day.   You may also consume the lemon peel for its pectin which helps eliminate cravings.   Drinking water with a whole lemon for weight loss is effective in weight loss and detox the body.

You may also drink lemon juice with other natural ingredients such as honey.   It's effectiveness remains the same.

To achieve fast weight loss, it is recommended that besides drinking lemon juice, you should also properly plan your diet and remember to exercise!
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2014 at 5:34pm
How Does Green Tea Help to Lose Weight

The headline "Green tea blasts away fat!" appears tonnes of times in fitness columns, newspapers, and blogs.   It is not a wonder anymore that more and more people are now appreciating the sexy part of the Japanese ancient.

A research was carried out on an obese mouse and green tea showed a positive result on slowing down the mouse's weight gain.   The essential component found in green tea in curbing weight gain is EGCG - Epigallocatechin-3-gallate.

If you are looking for alternatives in addition to plain water and lemonade for your diet journal, green tea is absolutely a judicious choice.

How Can Green Tea Help in Weight Loss?

Green tea boosts our body metabolism rate.   The concentrated polyphenols content in green tea revs up our fat burning capacity (parthenogenesis).   This generates heat in our body and quicken the process of shedding fat away.

Green tea lowers fat absorption and serves as a glucose regulator.   The catechins inherited in green tea inhibits fat absorption from our daily meals into fat cells.   Besides, it regulates the glucose level after our food intake by reversing the insulin resistance.   Insulin functions to convert our excess sugar into glucagon which will be stored as fat in our body eventually if we do not use them.   Subsequently, with controlled insulin spikes, fat will find it hard to surround our belly.

Green tea acts as an appetite suppressant.   The caffeine contained in green tea helps to suppress our hunger pangs.   Therefore drinking a cup of green tea half to an hour before meals can prevent us from cravings for too much food at once over a meal.

What to be 'Looked Out'?

If you have health problems or are not feeling well after drinking green tea, please consult a doctor if to proceed.

Never take green tea as the sole energy intake.   A balance diet is still needed to maintain a good health.

How Much to Drink Every Day?

Experts suggest that drinking 3-5 cups of green tea every day, be it before or after meals, will let you see a notable result from your scale.

Edited by Benni - Nov 16 2014 at 5:40pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2014 at 11:17pm
VEGAN COACH

Vegan Weight Loss
Top 10 Tips You Can Start TODAY

By Patty Knutson

By now you might have heard about the great success people have with the vegan weight loss diet.

But does it REALLY work for the long term?   Are there any "insider secrets" you need to know to not only lose the weight, but to maintain it as well?   Are there any pitfalls or challenges you should look out for?

The answers to these questions might surprise you!

Let's start with the obvious stuff first...

Why Does A Vegan Weight Loss Diet Work?

First and foremost, when people go vegan they tend to lose weight right out of the gate. Why is this?

One word: FIBER.

When you eat fiber-rich foods, this fiber sweeps through your intestines and pushes the crap out (literally).   Giving your body a constant supply of fiber means you are always cleaning out the pipes.

And in case you're sitting there thinking, "Ohhhhh! I get it! FIBER! I'll just keep eating my conventional meat-and-cheese-filled diet and drink down a glass of fiber once a day!"

Sorry, my sweet, that won't cut it because you're still stuffing yourself with the very foods that are causing the problem for you.    Animal products contain ZERO fiber.   And YES that means ALL animal products including red meat, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, milk, cheese -- well, you get the drift.   As long as you continue to eat these foods, you will find it difficult to lose weight.

Of course, you can go on a diet and eliminate some problem foods for a while.   People do this allllll the time to lose weight.   But eventually you will add those foods back in to your diet and the weight comes right on back.

Then one day you realize your pants are getting too tight and you're feeling yucky about yourself. So you go on ANOTHER diet.   Yes, it's totally senseless, but you do it anyway!

WHY?

Because you have no idea what else to do!

A vegan diet is EASY.   It's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. And IT WORKS. Not only to lose weight, but to experience many positive health changes as well.

Isn't A Vegetarian Diet Far Enough To Go?

Some people choose to go vegetarian. Vegetarians simply give up the "meat" and continue to eat eggs and use dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt).

"Help!
Cow holding onto the side of a bowl of cheese with milk and eggs on the side.
While it's a step in the right direction (and quite commendable!), some of the biggest culprits to weight gain are dairy products.   Think about it, if cow's milk is used to grow a calf to such an immense size, don't you think it might (just MIGHT!) cause YOU to grow too?   I mean, why would the milk from a cow have a different effect on you?

And cheese is simply CONCENTRATED cow's milk.   Holy crap -- talk about the WORST food you can possibly eat to lose weight!

Going vegetarian is a good idea, but for the best weight loss results I recommend you transition from a vegetarian to a vegan diet.

Long-Term Vegans And Weight Gain

What about long-term vegans?   It seems the some of them experience weight loss, but then seem to gain it back somewhere down the road.

How can this be?!

Some clients come to me for help because they have been vegan for a while and have noticed a slow weight gain over the years.   Does this sound familiar?   You think you're doing everything right, hitting all the necessary food groups, you might even be an exercise fanatic.

But still you find yourself slowly but surely gaining as the months and years go by.   I understand because it happened to me too!

(Now, sometimes it's due to hormonal fluctuations, depending on your age -- check with your doctor, of course -- but if it's NOT your hormones, then...)

It's vital for you to grasp there is something you are doing that is going against your weight loss efforts.   Review my top 10 tips below -- do you see yourself in this list of DO'S and DON'TS?   Pay particular attention to #3 -- it's a biggie!

Sassy's Top 10 Vegan Weight Loss Tips

Here are some tips that you can start using TODAY:

If you're just starting out with the vegan diet, be sure to review the Vegan Food Pyramid because it's a great starting point to understanding the various food groups you need to eat.

BUT, you might like to know the range of servings in the Pyramid was created for the general population, including people who want to GAIN weight!   Those who have weight to lose have to take the information found in the pyramid and tweak it in order to lose the weight.

How do you tweak the Pyramid for the best weight loss results?

Opt for the LOWER serving amounts listed in most of the categories.   For instance, you will notice the whole grains recommendation is 6-11 servings/day.   Sheesh, 11 servings of whole grains is a HECK of a lot of food, let alone adding in all the other food groups.   So if you want to lose weight, opt for the lowest range which in this case is 6 servings. Depending on your metabolism you might need even less than that.

DON'T simply switch out your meat and dairy for vegan meat and dairy substitutes (soy meats and cheeses).    While it is okay to occasionally eat these foods if you go vegan and have NO weight to lose (always buy organic or non-GMO soy foods), it's not ideal if you DO have weight to lose.   Many of these "faux foods" are high in fat and sodium, which go against your weight loss efforts.   Much better to teach yourself how to create a whole foods vegan menu from the get go;

DO experiment with whole grains.   What do I mean by this? Well, whole grains are a-maz-ing, and we need the important nutrients they give us.   We naturally reach for whole grains because they are healthy complex carbohydrates our bodies use for energy.

So we NEED whole grains!

But not all whole grains are created equally.   Some are fairly difficult to digest (such as wheat) and others are much easier to digest (like pseudo-cereals such as buckwheat, which is not a wheat at all).   Be aware that the easier a food is to digest, the quicker it will go through your intestines, which is the goal when you have some pounds to lose.

So while you should eat whole grains every day, just be aware of the effect they have on you, experiment with different whole grains and pseudo-cereals and find the fit that works best for you;

DO cut back on your sugar intake.   Sugar is bad news and the more you eat the harder it will be to lose weight. (By the way, if you do consume sugar be sure it's always organic.)

PLUS, overuse of sugar can lead to problems with an overgrowth of yeast in your body, and when that happens look out because it becomes NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight until you clear out the yeast. (Trust me, an overgrowth of yeast in your body is NOT FUN and the subsequent diet is EXTREMELY restrictive.)    Really take a look at your diet -- where might you be adding unnecessary sugars into your daily or weekly menu?

DON'T drink fruit juice!   This is one source of "sugar" that you need to rid yourself of. Fruits are fantastically good for you, providing you the water-rich fiber your body needs, along with so many important nutrients as well.   But if you drink the juice, and eliminate the fiber within (such as OJ, apple juice, pineapple juice, etc.), then you are basically mainlining all the simple sugars naturally contained in the fruit.   Much better to eat the fruit as is, or opt for fresh vegetable juice instead.

DO eat lots of green leafy veggies.   Foods like kale, collard/mustard/turnip greens, broccoli, bok choy -- these types of foods provide vital nutrients including CALCIUM which is needed to lose weight.   If you are lacking in calcium, your vegan weight loss efforts could be hampered.

DO drink a BOATLOAD of water.   All those amazing fiber-rich foods you should eat need water to aid them in the job they need to do.   Two-three glasses a day is NOT going to cut it for you.   The range of your water intake should be 6-12 (8 ounce) glasses per day.   Shoot for the lower range if you eat lots of water-rich fruits and veggies and smoothies, and the higher range if you don't.

DON'T be afraid of nuts! (tee-hee -- sorry, that made me giggle.)   But seriously, so many people ask me if nuts are okay to eat when you're trying to lose weight.

The answer?

YES!
Nuts provide important HEALTHY fats we need, and are high in vegan protein.   Raw nuts provide important enzymes we need.   Toasted nuts tend to taste a little more interesting and make the protein more available for your body.   So I recommend eating some raw nuts and some toasted nuts to get the best of both worlds.   Just don't go crazy with them -- 1/4 cup nuts per day if weight loss is your goal.

DON'T be a slave to your scale.   SCALES LIE! Did you know you can lose INCHES but still GAIN WEIGHT? As you enjoy a vegan diet combined with exercise (!), you will begin to build muscles where you didn't have them before.   No, not "he-man" muscles, but muscles which help you tone to get rid of the flab.   Muscle is denser than fat; therefore, as the muscles grow and the fat is burned off you will see a reduction in inches while the scales remain where they were.   Hide your scale away, and pull out your measuring tape instead;

DO start an aerobic exercise program as well as a weight-lifting program.   Of course you have to exercise for weight loss! Do you really think diet alone will cause the lasting vegan weight loss you seek? There is no diet in this world that will work if you don't exercise regularly.   If you go to the gym and walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes, that's certainly better than nothing at all.   But you need to WORK UP A SWEAT to lose the fat.

I recommend "warming up" for 10-15 minutes as you slowly bring your heart rate up.   Then work to keep that heart rate up for at LEAST 30 minutes.   Usually a combination of, say, jogging with short 1-minute bursts of fast running, works beautifully as you challenge your body to go farther with each workout.   Then, "cool down" for 10-15 minutes as you bring your heart rate back to normal.   A heart monitor is the key here so you can keep track of your heart rate.

Muscle burns fat.   But before you begin lifting weights, be sure to get advice from a pro (such as an instructor at your gym).   You can hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing.
Finally, be patient with yourself.   Make changes to your diet in baby steps for the greatest long-term success.

Hope you have found some answers you were searching for today.   Surely the healthiest way to shed pounds is with the vegan weight loss plan because it's safe, it's practical, and the weight you lose is easy to maintain for the rest of your life.

And of course, the animals and the Earth will thank you.    :)

xo!

Edited by Benni - Nov 17 2014 at 3:02pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2014 at 8:08pm
It's been 1-week since I got off Juicing. Weighted thin a.m, and I weigh 9-ounces more than I did last week which can be attributed to any number of things.

My goal for the next month is NO MORE WEIGHING !!!!

Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic