Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Growth Archives > Hair Growth Archives 2007
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVanilla extract for growth?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Zupreme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vanilla extract for growth?
    Posted: Sep 03 2006 at 10:22pm
Has anybody ever heard of using pure vanilla extract for growth? I have a friend (seriously) who had 3 inch long 4b hair all her life. Nothing ever made it stop breaking. She has the kind of really thick 4b hair that barely takes a relaxer and she has no clue how to care for it. She could never make it grow until her and her mom (who had the same issues) heard of vanilla and started using it as a deep conditioning treatment and even as a leave-in. I had not seen her in a year and do you know I just saw a picture of her from her birthday last week! Her hair is shoulder length! And I heard her mom's is too! That may not seem like long hair but for their standards its a miracle! Have any of you heard of this? I wanna try it now!
Sponsored Links

LdySpartyLo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2006 at 10:45pm
Vanilla extract?  Hmm, I didn't find anything when I did a quick Web search.  What else was your friend using with the vanilla extract as a deep conditioner?  Was she adding the vanilla to something else?  To be honest, pure vanilla extract seems to be too expensive to use as a growth aid, especially if that is the only thing that is being applied to the hair.  Press your friend for more info.  My interest in this has been piqued!! SmileLOL
Zupreme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2006 at 10:47pm
She didn't mix it with anything as far as I know. She is not one to do get into complex stuff if ya know what I mean. I mean, thats why it didn't grow in the first place. Ima have to make some calls!
pinklady1908 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2006 at 10:49pm
I never heard of that.  I agree with Sparty, it is a little expensive for a growth aid.  Plus, doesn't it have alcohol in it? (I remember when I was in boarding school some of the students used to drink that and cough syrup to get drunk)  Is alcohol good for your hair?
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2006 at 10:54pm
I'd never heard of it but I searched and found that it is used in a few conditioners out there (I also found it in shampoos too.). Including Deep V Conditioner by Treasured Locks, Ecco Belle products, and La Serie products.

I guess it does do something for hair -unless it was only added for smell-. I couldn't find out exactly what though. I'm still looking.

ETA - Nevermind about the usage for only fragrance. I see those that did have a vanilla frangrance listed Vanilla Fragrance as separate from the vanilla extract.

Edited by Phoenix1017 - Sep 03 2006 at 11:01pm
Zupreme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2006 at 10:58pm
thats what I found, too Phoenix. It seems alot of hair products contain vanilla.......i cant quite figure out what it does though.......
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2006 at 11:05pm
Now I am finding vanilla extract as an ingredient on regular folks personal websites.

You know... how women make up their own hair recipes and post them on the web and all.

This is kinda starting to bug me. So close, yet so far away. lol!!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2006 at 11:16pm
Aha!!! I found something. (Vanilla comes from this; Vanilla Planifolia fruit. I guess the extract would have the same properties? Not sure)

Vanilla (vanilla planifolia fruit)
  • Natural emollient helps prevent breakage and split ends
  • Relieves styling stress
One of the hair products broke it down and said what each ingredient was for. Here's the site http://www.hairexpo.biz/btb_0022.html

Edited by Phoenix1017 - Sep 03 2006 at 11:23pm
Zupreme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2006 at 11:24pm
I found a recipe for a natural detangler made from vanilla!   it's yucky coz of the oregano though.....

and it makes sense if it prevents breakage coz that was thats girl major problem.....it just doesnt seem to be a very widespread thing....

and i know it has alcohol in it but really if it were drying she woulda ended up bald coz her hair was already super brittle to begin with....I just don't know!

http://www.hair-news.com/hair-detangler.html

Edited by zahira1983 - Sep 03 2006 at 11:27pm
LdySpartyLo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2006 at 11:27pm
Great detective work, Phoenix!!!  I found one product that mentioned vanilla bean was to stimulate the roots.  However, I still maintain that vanilla extract is too expensive to use as the only growth aid ($5-8 for 2 oz.).  It costs too much to be used as a deep conditioner and a leave-in conditioner.   
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic