FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Using The Phrase "Colored" for Blacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>

Author
Carmensworld View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Carmensworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 8:07pm
Hearing that term makes me wana pop the nearest yt in the mouth.
Sponsored Links

Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 8:12pm
I don't like hearing it as it reminds me on segregation. I would inform her once and if she continued to use it go to HR.

I had to check this armenia women I worked with once- when she referrerd to us as "colored". I told her that we don't go by the term anymore and if anyone ever hears you call them that you will get your azz beat.
bumble-boy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bumble-boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 8:13pm
maybe she just seen...

and thought it was ok

Edited by bumble-boy - Apr 02 2013 at 8:18pm
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 8:18pm
Words have histories and connotations
Don't make it harder than it has to be
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by sache1991 sache1991 wrote:

Mid 40s, American...Ouch
She know whats up, I was gone give her a pass cause I heard elderly yt folk use it. But Im talkin old folks home elderly.
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

Originally posted by -Shesus- -Shesus- wrote:

Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

"People/person of colour" is widely acceptable isn't it? I've always wondered why it's so different to "coloured." 
yup, so iont see why they are so pressed.  It wasn't said with malice & it is just another label like black, african american, negro, etc..

none of those are slurs either, but ppl have their preference of what they want to be called.  I for one wouldn't get worked up about it, nor will I go sit in HR giving a report just to be "down" with the other blacks
I mean, it's something that's always puzzled me. I'm looking at this from a different perspective cos I'm not American but I have to ask myself why hearing "coloured" sometimes makes me feel funny but with "person of colour"...I don't bat an eyelid. ETA: even though they're saying exactly the same thing- i.e. that non-whites possess "colour"

Well, coloureds reminds me of NO COLOUREDS ALLOWED.

For the ignorant seats. 

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 9:03pm
i like the word coloured more than i like black tbh..and i do hear the term PoC irl
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

I am not being sensitive but in a professional setting, I woulnd't describe anyone by their skin color.

The lady in the purple shirt with the glasses blah blah blah...
This
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 5:48am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Originally posted by -Shesus- -Shesus- wrote:

idc, colored is not a slur.  If they said Brotha Man, porch monkey, pickaninny, coon, etc...

then I'd complain
this. it's just antiquated. like how people still refer to asians as 'oriental'. *shudders*

if it were me, i would just clue the person in on where they went wrong there, but it's hardly an HR issue.

all of this
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 5:49am

it's like saying oriental....it's dated
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic