FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

UPS Fires 250 Drivers After Protest

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UPS Fires 250 Drivers After Protest
    Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 1:43pm

UPS Fires 250 Drivers After They Protested A Coworker’s Firing

By Annie-Rose Strasser on April 2, 2014 at 11:59 am

"UPS Fires 250 Drivers After They Protested A Coworker’s Firing"

Delayed Packages

CREDIT: AP Photo/Julio Cortez

Two hundred fifty employees of the United Parcel Service (UPS) walked off the job for 90 minutes in February to protest the firing of one of their coworkers, Jairo Reyes. Reyes had driven for the company for over 20 years, and they felt his firing (which occurred after a complicated saga over the hours that senior UPS workers could hold) was unfair.

This week, all of those employees were given a pink slip, New York Daily News reports. “They just called me in … (and) said, ‘Effective immediately, you are no longer on the payroll,’” one UPS employee told the outlet.

Twenty employees so far have been let go from the Queens branch that staged the walkout, UPS spokesman Steve Gaught confirmed to ThinkProgress. The other 230 have been given notices of termination with the understanding that they will be be let go when replacements are found for them.

“We take the commitments that we make to customers for delivery as a high priority, and whenever we can’t count on the workforce to complete their jobs it negatively effects customer demands,” Gaught said.

UPS workers are unionized under the Teamsters, and UPS alleges that the protesters not only delayed package delivery for customers, but also violated their union contract. Gaught invited the Teamsters of Local 804, where the workers were fired, to appeal the termination under contract rules. But the union insists it already has.

“Since UPS fired Jairo Reyes and 250 drivers walked off the job in protest, Local 804 has repeatedly tried to bring UPS to the table to settle the issues,” the group’s local wrote on its page. “Local 804 will continue to work with political leaders and the public to bring UPS management to the table to reach a fair settlement. We will do whatever is necessary to achieve this goal.”

UPS has previously come under fire for its treatment of workers. In one instance, a pregnant employee was put on unpaid leave with no medical coverage after her doctor instructed her not to lift anything weighing more than 20 pounds.

While the details of the contract between the Teamsters and UPS are not known, all workers, both unionized and non-unionized, are supposed to be able to strike without being fired. Late last year, in fact, the National Labor Relations Board decided to prosecute Walmart for violating that law. Still, labor strikes are becoming increasingly rare, in part because of declining unionization.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/04/02/3421937/ups-fires-250-drivers/

Sponsored Links

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 1:46pm
Not surprised.....
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 1:51pm
It's sad but they were bold...we don't really have those kinds of communities anymore where we can rally for what's right. Large corporations rule. You don't always get a happy ending like the movies.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 1:53pm
Thats why you have to really evaluate how this will effect your life before you jump head first.....I wouldn't have walked off....cause Id be too worried about my own bill.....expecially when you have a union contract....any breech and yo butt is gone.....
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 2:01pm
damn.  welp.  they know that there are plenty of folks looking for jobs so it wasn't a big deal to fire them.  i'm sorry to say that in this day and age you have to think about yourself in these situations.

I remember a friend of mine asking "if things are so bad with these corporations why don't folks just organize a walkout."  I had to tell him...this ain't high school and Donna Martin ain't gone graduate.  folks got children and bills.  No one wants to take the chance to be the first one to walk only to be the only one out.
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 3:03pm
We should all order from fed ex. I swear if those 250 wanted to go hard, I'd support them.
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 4:46pm
walking off the job is a no-no. there are grievance and binding arbitration processes that are in place that need to be followed between union and management under a contract. i'm not mad at UPS, i'm mad at their local union leadership that advised them that that was a good idea.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 4:48pm
^^^yep......strikes are the absolute last resort....
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic