Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Updated OP: George Zimmerman Charge w/ Murder 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Updated OP: George Zimmerman Charge w/ Murder 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 971972973974975 1115>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 26 Votes, Average 4.54  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
binky622 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote binky622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 6:53am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

I woke up this morning expecting to feel different, a little more at ease...nope.

My head hurts...

I'm still in disbelief...

i woke up like someone punched me in the stomach oh yeah reality. every now and then something like this happens to let us know that all the creature comforts, nice homes, good schools, cars, clothes good jobs and social appeal don't mean squat.  moments like this jolt us back to reality and it hurtsCry because we tend to forget, disassociate, be numb, and create an unrealistic picture filled with illusions of the American dream

Edited by binky622 - Jul 14 2013 at 6:55am
Sponsored Links

iGotSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iGotSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 6:58am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

I woke up this morning expecting to feel different, a little more at ease...nope.

My head hurts...

I'm still in disbelief...

Same here.
I thought about the piss poor performance by the prosecution, why trayvon was put on trial for his own death, & how hard we had to fight to even get to this point. I'm just exhausted and disgusted.

Addicted I'm def down with the boycott.
We need to get the blacks in Sanford to get on board.
Addicted19034 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Addicted19034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 6:59am
Lets not forget trayvon Martin but also highlight jordan Davis's upcoming trial in September

It needs to make headline news as well. We can't let it fall by the wayside
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 7:01am

There is a march scheduled for 4pm in LA at King and Crenshaw for the SoCal ladies...

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Addicted19034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 7:03am
During a recent dinner with a friend, our conversation quickly turned to ways to keep our young teenaged sons constructively engaged during the upcoming winter break. Keeping teens busy is a strategy many parents use to keep their kids out of trouble. African American parents often are driven by something else -- keeping their children safe. And that may mean keeping their children off the street -- literally.

The less time they spend walking down the street, riding their bikes or being in a car with friends, the less likely they are to be stopped by police or anyone else for that matter. I know from personal experience how easily a young black male can be labeled as dangerous. At the end of the summer Evanston, Ill. police handcuffed my 13-year-old son as he attempted to put his bike away in his own backyard because he fit the vague description of a burglary suspect. My son had done nothing wrong.

If Trayvon Martin's death earlier this year were not heart breaking enough, now there is Jordan Davis. He is the most recent national news example of a young black male being gunned down because he supposedly acted in a threatening manner.

The day after Thanksgiving, Davis and a group of friends stopped their vehicle at a Jacksonville, Fla. gas station with the music blaring. Forty-five year old Michael David Dunn has been charged with firing eight or nine gunshots at the vehicle, killing Davis. Dunn claims he saw the teens point a gun at him after he asked them to turn down their music. As of this writing, police have not found a weapon used by the teens.

Coincidentally, both Davis and Martin were 17-year-old African American teens. Both suspected shooters were adult white males who have said the killings were not racially motivated and that they fired out of self defense because their victims threatened them. Both killings took place in Florida where the controversial "stand your ground" law is being used as a defense.

Although, Davis' father told an Atlanta television station that rage -- not race -- killed his son, we must address the elephant in the room. Black males have a history in the U.S. of being labeled threatening and suspicious even when they have broken no laws. The legal assumption of innocent until proven guilty rarely applies.

Free blacks wrote about others' presumption of their guilt before slavery ended. In 1827 the nation's first black newspaper publishers, Rev. Samuel Cornish and John Russwurm, stated that the mission of Freedom's Journal was to allow black people to correct the negatives stereotypes about themselves. They wrote: "...there are others who make it their business to enlarge upon the least trifle, which tends to the discredit of any person of colour: they pronounce anathemas and denounce our whole body for the misconduct of the guilty one."

At the turn of the 20th century W. E. B. Du Bois, a prolific scholar who studied the conditions of black people, recognized the pernicious impact of these negative stereotypes on the world. At the 1900 Paris Exposition, he co-curated the American Negro Photo Exhibition to document black progress after Emancipation.

Around the same time, newspaperwoman and activist Ida. B. Wells highlighted the presumption of black guilt when she wrote about the lynchings of black men whose alleged crimes never made it to a courtroom. There was no due process. The assumption of guilt was enough to justify the punishment.

By the mid-twentieth century Daisy Bates, well known for her leadership in integrating Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, published newspaper articles highlighting how this assumption of black criminality created a double standard. Black men accused of rape were being executed despite their denials of even committing a crime; while white men who admitted to similar offenses were sentenced to a only a few years in jail.

A 1950 Arkansas State Press article noted: "Since 1908 1,081 Negroes (males) have been sentenced to the penitentiary for rape, attempted rape or statutory rape. Fifty-three of those were sentenced to death. Forty-five were executed. Of the 809 white men convicted of these crimes since 1907 only one has been sentenced to death and his sentence was promptly commuted to life imprisonment."

Well-known murders such as the 1955 killing of 14-year-old Emmett Till, an African American teen who was visiting relatives in Money, Mississippi, indicate a pattern of guilt by assumption. White men brutalized Till after it was rumored he had whistled at a white woman.

Whites have exploited this stereotype. In 1989 Charles Stuart inflamed racial tensions after he told Boston police that a black man had shot and killed his pregnant wife. It turned out he was murderer. In 1994 Susan Smith, a South Carolina mother of two, claimed that a black man had carjacked her, kidnapped her young boys and drowned them by sending the vehicle into a lake. She was actually the perpetrator.

The mainstream media continue to play a role in perpetuating these stereotypes. UCLA professor Travis Dixon's studies show news portrayals of blacks, as criminal and threatening, have not improved dramatically over the years.

Whatever the outcome of the Martin and Davis cases, African Americans (particularly males) must continue to live with this history. By acknowledging the problem, perhaps one day it will be solved. To do otherwise means more young black bodies remain vulnerable when they do not need to be.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addicted19034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 7:07am
Anyone know where we can donate to the Martin family
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 7:13am
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 7:14am
Binky & Sunshine: I know how you feel. I barely slept 3 hours and I had nothing but nightmares regarding Trayvon whenever I closed my eyes. So I decided to get up. I wish I could be with you guys to march. I really do.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

Anyone know where we can donate to the Martin family

I'd like to know this as well. I feel so helpless being so far away and not being able to march and get involved. The Martins are going to need funding for the civil suit.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jul 14 2013 at 7:17am
binky622 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote binky622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

Lets not forget trayvon Martin but also highlight jordan Davis's upcoming trial in September

It needs to make headline news as well. We can't let it fall by the wayside

i agree we have to shed like on our kids just like the martin case till they get sick of us and leave us alone
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 971972973974975 1115>