Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Update - Lotto Winner Murder Case

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update - Lotto Winner Murder Case
    Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 10:20pm

EXCLUSIVE:

How wife of $1m lottery winner poisoned by cyanide didn't share his last curry because she's a vegetarian (and neither did her father because 'he was on a diet')

• Urooj Khan, 46, died day after collecting his winning $1m check from cyanide poisoning
  • Last meal was Indian Kofta curry - but wife, daughter and father-in-law did not eat it
  • Urooj’s sister Meraj also revealed she was woken up on night he died at 4am by phone call with a person screaming at the other end

• Brother revealed to be the family relative to called police to say he believed it was an unnatural death

By DANIEL BATES IN CHICAGO

PUBLISHED: 13:57 EST, 11 January 2013 UPDATED: 15:24 EST, 11 January 2013

• Comments (4)
    • < border="0" ="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" ="0" ="0" width="100%" id="I0_1357964094151" name="I0_1357964094151" ="https://plusone.google.com/_/+1/fast?bsv&size=medium&hl=en-GB&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk&=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-2260939%2FREVEALED-Wife-1m-lottery-winner-poisoned-cyanide-didnt-eat-share-meal-vegetarian-did-father-law-diet.&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en_US.0NTQiYZfHKc.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DiQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAItRSTPhdtg_BH01tf9y0RLs3QjbhWxJBw#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_%2C_%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled&id=I0_1357964094151&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk" allowtransparency="true" -gapiattached="true" title="+1" style=": static; top: 0px; width: 90px; margin: 0px; border-style: none; left: 0px; visibility: ; height: 20px;">
    • < allowtransparency="true" border="0" scrolling="no" ="http://plat.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_.1357735024.#_=1357964102458&count=horizontal&count=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-2260939%2FREVEALED-Wife-1m-lottery-winner-poisoned-cyanide-didnt-eat-share-meal-vegetarian-did-father-law-diet.&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-2260939%2FREVEALED-Wife-1m-lottery-winner-poisoned-cyanide-didnt-eat-share-meal-vegetarian-did-father-law-diet.&size=m&text=REVEALED%3A%20Wife%20of%20%241m%20lottery%20winner%20poisoned%20by%20cyanide%20didn't%20eat%20share%20last%20meal%20because%20she%20is...&=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FSoUDdm&via=MailOnline" ="twitter-share- twitter-count-horizontal" title="Twitter Tweet " -twttr-rendered="true" style="width: 110px; height: 20px;">

Uroojs

Fighting back the tears, ImTiaz demanded justice for his brother and said that the curry he ate shortly before dying was ‘highly suspect’.

Urooj’s sister Meraj also revealed dramatic new details of the night he died and said that she was woken up by a 4am phone call with a person screaming at the other end.

The voice was so unintelligible she was unable to tell if it was a man or a woman, she said.

The family spoke out today after a hearing at a court in Chicago where a judge ruled that Urooj’s body could be exhumed for further tests to determine if he ingested or inhaled the cyanide and how strong the dose was.

The Cook County Medical Examiner said that the procedure will take place as early as possible out of fears his remains may have have decomposed.

Questions: Urooj's sister, Meraj Khan and brother, ImTiaz, attend today's hearing. ImTiaz was the one who called police after he suspected foul play after an initial investigation said Urooj died of a heart attack

Fighting back the tears, ImTiaz demanded justice for his brother and said that the curry he ate shortly before dying was ‘highly suspect’.

Urooj’s sister Meraj also revealed dramatic new details of the night he died and said that she was woken up by a 4am phone call with a person screaming at the other end.

The voice was so unintelligible she was unable to tell if it was a man or a woman, she said.

The family spoke out today after a hearing at a court in Chicago where a judge ruled that Urooj’s body could be exhumed for further tests to determine if he ingested or inhaled the cyanide and how strong the dose was.

The Cook County Medical Examiner said that the procedure will take place as early as possible out of fears his remains may have have decomposed.

khan
 Wife

Anger: Urooj's siblings said they had compiled a 47-page dossier on everyone who knew him - including his wife, Shabana Ansari, right, adding it was 'impossible' that his death was natural

Urooj died on July 20 last year the day after he collected the over-sized check from Illinois State Lottery officials at the 7-Eleven near his Chicago home where he bought the winning scratchcard.

After taxes, the prize money amounted to $425,000 as he took it in a lump sum.

The initial toxicology report did not show up cyanide so the death was ruled as by natural causes. It was only when ImTiaz intervened that the poison was found by further tests.

Since then the final meal that Urooj, 46, consumed has become central to the case.

According to multiple reports, he was at home at the time with Shabana, Fareedun and Jasmeen. 

A Chicago police source told MailOnline on Thursday that Shabana did not eat the food, and nor did Jasmeen. 

Shabana herself has told the Chicago Sun-Times that everyone at it but refused to comment when asked about the curry by MailOnline.

But with his bottom lip trembling with emotion, Imtiaz said: ‘Something happened. Something happened to him, he was perfectly healthy and the last meal he ate was with his wife, his father-in-law and his daughter. 

‘(His daughter) is in my guardianship with my sister and she said she didn’t eat it. 

‘Her father-in-law said he was on a diet and didn’t eat it and his wife was a vegetarian and didn’t eat it. Only Urooj ate it. Only Urooj ate it, nobody else. And that’s what happened.’

Not right

Not right: The brother of Urooj Khan called police demanding they re-open the investigation into the death. His call prompting the discovery he died of cyanide poisoning at the home he shared with wife

ImTiaz added that was ‘impossible’ that Urooj died a natural death.

He said: ‘Let justice come out, let the process go through. We are confident he didn't die a natural way, somebody did something.’

Since Urooj’s death Shabana has spoken to a number of reporters and told MailOnline ‘certainly not’ when asked if she was responsible for his demise.

She said that life as a widow had been ‘really tough because he was my support and he was my courage and he was my strength’.

It also emerged that Fareedun owed $124,000 in unpaid taxes that led to the IRS to out a lien on the home he shared with Urooj.

Not right: The brother of Urooj Khan called police demanding they re-open the investigation into the death. His call prompting the discovery he died of cyanide poisoning at the home he shared with wife

ImTiaz added that was ‘impossible’ that Urooj died a natural death.

He said: ‘Let justice come out, let the process go through. We are confident he didn't die a natural way, somebody did something.’

Since Urooj’s death Shabana has spoken to a number of reporters and told MailOnline ‘certainly not’ when asked if she was responsible for his demise.

She said that life as a widow had been ‘really tough because he was my support and he was my courage and he was my strength’.

It also emerged that Fareedun owed $124,000 in unpaid taxes that led to the IRS to out a lien on the home he shared with Urooj.

ImTiaz said that he has a 47-page dossier on his brother and everyone who knew him - including his wife.

He said: ‘If somebody commits a crime do you think they will accept it? Let the truth come out.

‘I have her whole life history (in my dossier) and her father. Whole life history, what kind of person she is. I’ve known her father since my childhood. I know him even before Shabana was born.’

Cruel death: Urooj Khan (pictured right) with his $1million winnings shortly before his death from cyanide poisoning. His wife Shabana Ansari (left) and his teenage daughter from an earlier marriage Jasmeen (second left) are by his side

Cruel death: Urooj Khan (pictured right) with his $1million winnings shortly before his death from cyanide poisoning. His wife Shabana Ansari (left) and his teenage daughter from an earlier marriage Jasmeen (second left) are by his side

Distressed: Mr Khans wife Shabana Ansari outside the home she shared with him on Thursday morning
Wife

Loving family: Urooj shared his home with his wife, above, his father-in-law Fareedun Ansari, and daughter Jasmeen

Fighting back the tears Meraj revealed that Jasmeen is ‘very upset’ and that she was struggling to cope with what happened.

She said: ‘We're looking for justice and I'm so glad that justice will be served. It wasn't a natural death because he was a healthy man, outgoing and very active.

‘For someone to be so active it's just unbelievable you can go away this way. When we found out it was very devastating for me and my niece (Jasmeen).’

Speaking of the phone call she got early in the morning of July 20 last year, Meraj added: ‘Who would be in his house at four in the morning? It was from (Urooj) Khan's phone, I don't know who called.  

‘It was the first day of Ramadan and usually he calls to wake us up in the morning for our breakfast. I couldn't understand. That was the first call.’

Her husband Mohammed Zaman, Urooj’s brother-in-law said that the family had accepted the exhumation had to take place but that it was ‘not our choice’.

Asked about who he suspected, he said: ‘I cannot point the finger but it's very simple. There's only three people in the house (at the time).

Legal battle:

Legal battle: Meraj Khan (right) launched a legal battle to win custody of her late brother's 17-year-old daughter from an earlier marriage Jasmeen (center). Unidentified woman, left.

house

Agony: The day after receiving a check for his winnings, Khan awoke screaming in pain in his bed at his Chicago home (pictured). An expert said this is caused when muscle contract suddenly as the poison kills you 'cell by cell'

‘Jasmeen lived there and she had a separate bedroom downstairs. It's only Mr Khan and his wife upstairs from 1am until 5am.’

He also contradicted Shabana’s claim that everyone at the curry and said: 'Not everyone ate the same meal, because Jasmeen spoke to us.’

Cook County Medical Examiner spokeswoman Mary Paleologos told MailOnline that the Urooj’s body will be exhumed as soon as possible but details were still being finalised.

The order from the Cook County Court judge Susan Coleman states that the process should be carried out as ‘expeditiously as possible’.

It also states that it could be ‘critical’ to get it done soon as Urooj was not embalmed and that key evidence may have decomposed.

Miss Paleologos said that an autopsy will first be carried out and then toxicology tests will take between two and three weeks to complete.

She said: ‘At that point we will even more conclusive evidence as to how Mr Khan was poisoned and how it got into his system.’

The dramatic day in court came after Urooj’s family went to war with Shabana amid claims she tried to cash the winning check in the days after his death.

ImTiaz has alleged in probate documents that Shabana attempted to claim the windfall ‘shortly’ after his demise but for some reason was unable to.

ImTiaz also claimed his late brother and his wife were not even married, meaning that she could miss out on the 50 per cent of the lottery prize she would otherwise be entitled to. 

In response, Shabana filed documents of her own which stated she was indeed married to Urooj and the court agreed, making her the administrator of the estate.

In another sign the family are tearing themselves apart, Meraj launched a separate legal bid to take guardianship of Jasmeen, who is Urooj’s daughter from his first marriage.

Meraj successfully got custody of the teenager even though she appears to have lived with Shabana, her step mother, most of her life.

And as a result of the filings, the jackpot was frozen and will remain so for another three months.

The remaining three months will allow family members to make their case to the lawyer organising how the funds will be handed out - normally it is 50 per cent to the spouse and 50 per cent to the children, unless there are grounds for a complaint.

Meanwhile the Khan family are living in fear the poisoner will strike again with some anxious that ‘enemies’ could kill them or their families too. 

VICTIM'S DAUGHTER HASN'T SEEN MOTHER IN 13 YEARS

The ex-wife of the poisoned $1m lottery winner has not seen their daughter for 13 years in the latest sign of tensions tearing his family apart.

Maria Jones said that it was back in 2000 that she last set eyes on Jasmeen, now 17, when Urooj Khan forcibly took her back to India.

Mrs Jones was too poor to afford a lawyer at the time so she was unable to contest custody.

Even today her emotional scars are so deep that she has left a dramatic voicemail on her home answerphone: 'If this is Jasmeen, please leave your number and I will call you. I’ve been waiting to hear from you. I love you.'

The disclosure is another sign that the death of Mr Khan, 46, last July the day after he collected his winning cheque has exposed the divisions within his family.

Tests showed he died from cyanide poisoning but no arrests have been made. His second wife Shabana Ansari, 32, has denied she has anything to do with his death.

Speaking to the Chicago Sun-Times, Mrs Jones, 43, said that she was 'shocked' when she saw her daughter's face on TV earlier this week.

She said: 'I don't know if she knows I'm still alive. I thought she was in India all these years'.

Mrs Jones - formerly Maria Rabadan - met Mr Khan in Chicago where they worked together. They got married in 1991 but they divorced in 1997.

She said that she later reached out to Mr Khan's relatives and was told that he had left the US for India with Jasmeen and did not plan to come back.

Mrs Jones did not want to discuss her relationship with her ex-husband. She merely said it was a 'really really long story' but said she was desperate to see her daughter.

She said: 'I don’t know what she knows. She was so little. I don’t want to hurt her.'

When MailOnline visited Mrs Jones at her home in Granger, Indiana, her husband Billy Jones answered the door and said she was in the bath.

When our reporter called later on the phone he said: 'She has decided not to comment at this time. She's a bit emotional, it's all a bit raw'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2260939/REVEALED-Wife-1m-lottery-winner-poisoned-cyanide-didnt-eat-share-meal-vegetarian-did-father-law-diet.html#ixzz2HjQJODnY 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sponsored Links

bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 10:20pm

How wife of $1m lottery winner poisoned by cyanide didn't share his last curry because she's a vegetarian (and neither did her father because 'he was on a diet')Confused

niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 10:21pm
Nah they aint share because they killed him
ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 10:24pm
Damn...they weren't even slick with it.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 10:25pm
damn--hope his daughter wasn't in on it
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 1:08am
Maybe the guy was an as$hole.

Ok, ok not cool to kill over a million dollars, but I understand she may have her point of view too.
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 1:22am
man! I steeeeel want to comment on this...but...nahhhhh
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 1:43am

why kill him though

you end up in prison with nothing on your books

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 1:56am
^She and her family better just stick with the excuse of 'it seemed like a good idea at the time' and hope for the best when it comes to sentencing.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic