Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Upcoming Black Movies Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 10 Votes, Average 4.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 7:35am
Bag-g-age Claim

Release Date: September 27, 2013
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Director: David E. Talbert
Writers: David E. Talbert (screenplay), David E. Talbert (based on the novel entitled "Ba ge Claim")
Stars: Paula Patton, Djimon Hounsou, Taye Diggs
Pledging to keep herself from being the oldest and the only woman in her entire family never to wed, Montana embarks on a thirty-day, thirty-thousand-mile expedition to charm a potential suitor into becoming her fiancé.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Aug 05 2013 at 7:36am
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 7:51am

Why This Could Be A Historic Awards Season For Black Hollywood

It already is, actually, with the election of the Motion Picture Academy’s first African-American president.

LOS ANGELES — Late Tuesday night, the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences elected Cheryl Boone Isaacs as president of the organization, making the public relations executive the first African American to head up the institution behind the Oscars. (She is also only the third woman to hold the position.)

It is a major milestone, coming on the heels of the Academy admitting a more widely diverse new crop of members. And it could be only the first in what has the very real potential to be a historic awards season for Black Hollywood. Several high profile films featuring black artists in front of and behind the camera have been or will be released over the coming months, all with the potential to rack up a litany of major nominations. Come March 2, 2014, the Dolby Theatre could host upward of three black Best Director nominees, and possibly four black Best Actor nominees.

To be clear, it is still tremendously early in the year to be making definitive Oscar predictions. Almost no “awards season”-style films have opened yet, and films that seem like sure things now could end up as disappointing duds when they’re released. That said, the fact that there are this many possible black contenders this year is quite noteworthy. Here they are:

Fruitvale Station

Fruitvale Station

In theaters now, Fruitvale Station has been winning wide acclaim for Michael B. Jordan’s performance as Oscar Grant, a young father who was killed by a Bay Area Rapid Transit police officer in early morning of Jan. 1, 2009. First-time writer-director Ryan Coogler has also impressed many with the film’s subtle storytelling confidence, and Octavia Spencer’s final scenes in the film as Grant’s mother are heartrending to say the least.

Possible nominations: Best Actor for Jordan, Best Supporting Actress for Spencer, Best Original Screenplay and Best Director for Coogler

Image by The Weinstein Company

Lee Daniels’ The Butler

Lee Daniels The Butler

Out Aug. 16, Lee Daniels’ The Butler, features a slew of Hollywood luminaries but focuses on the story of a White House butler, played by Forest Whitaker, who served from the Eisenhower to the Reagan administrations. (The film is based on the life of a real-life African-American butler with a similar record of service.) Harvey Weinstein’s recent headline-grabbing squabble with Warner Bros. over the film’s title makes clear he’s gearing up for a major awards season push for the film.

Possible nominations: Best Actor for Whitaker, Best Supporting Actress for Oprah Winfrey, Best Director for Daniels, and Best Picture (including Daniels as a producer)

12 Years A Slave

12 Years A Slave

Remarkably, 12 Years a Slave, out Oct. 18, will mark one of the very first major American feature films to take on the actual experience of slavery in the American South as its central theme and subject matter. It follows the true story of Solomon Northrup — played by Chiwetel Ejiofor (American Gangster, 2012) in the film — a free black man living in pre-Civil War New York who was kidnapped and sold into slavery for 12 years.

Possible nominations: Best Actor for Ejiofor, Best Supporting Actress for Lupita Nyong’o, Best Director for Steve McQueen (Shame), Best Adapted Screenplay John Ridley (Red Tails), and Best Picture (with McQueen as a producer)

Image by Fox Searchlight

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

With Nelson Mandela’s health a regular news story this year, this biopic about his life — with the Idris Elba playing Mandela — feels especially relevant. The last actor to play Mandela, Morgan Freeman, won an Oscar nod for his performance, and that was for a comparatively narrow sliver of the man’s life.

Possible nominations:
Best Actor for Elba, Best Supporting Actress for Naomie Harris

Edited by Random Thoughts - Aug 05 2013 at 7:58am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 7:55am
^^^

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I bet I can guess which ones will have Oscar nominations. 

Did it include any of those?

Sort of agree with this comment.

I think I'll save my excitement. We're talking about black actors playing a drug-involved young adult, a butler, a slave, and one of the few black leaders to become a household name. Not to mention these are all biopics, meaning the roles HAD to be played by black actors, as opposed to the many meaty fictional characters that rarely go to minority actors/actresses. I'd rather have a Hollywood that made blockbusters centered on a black hot-shot lawyer, a Latino superhero, an Asian rock star, etc (male or female). Enough with baby steps - I want a Hollywood that reflects what real life is and can be.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 8:00am
It gives me goosebumps how incredible all these Black actors are!

Great Black actors bring a soulfulness, grit and realness that others don't.

I don't care about the Oscars, the Oscars will never be reflective of our great talent. I'll just be glad if the public understands what they're witnessing
Addicted19034 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addicted19034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

^^^

Did it include any of those?

Sort of agree with this comment.

I think I'll save my excitement. We're talking about black actors
playing a drug-involved young adult, a butler, a slave, and one of the
few black leaders to become a household name. Not to mention these are
all biopics, meaning the roles HAD to be played by black actors, as
opposed to the many meaty fictional characters that rarely go to
minority actors/actresses. I'd rather have a Hollywood that made
blockbusters centered on a black hot-shot lawyer, a Latino superhero, an
Asian rock star, etc (male or female). Enough with baby steps - I want a
Hollywood that reflects what real life is and can be.

I agree 100%

Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

It gives me goosebumps how incredible all these Black actors are!

Great Black actors bring a soulfulness, grit and realness that others don't.

I don't care about the Oscars, the Oscars will never be reflective of our great talent. I'll just be glad if the public understands what they're witnessing

yeah, so true.

mama is still bitter denzel didn't get an oscar for Malcolm X LOL

i look forward to seeing some of these movies.

omg if Jordan gets a nomination...that would be amazing.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 4:22pm
rt do you have a torrent link for big words
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 8:48pm
I had no Idea...

I just looked up a list of “The 10 Highest-Grossing Black Films of All Time” and found a web page on them.

In the history of American cinema, the great Black films tell a story that challenges perceptions of race and class, unearthing truths America finds it extraordinarily difficult to accept.

This is not a list of those films.

The most successful Black films of all time tell a very different story. In spite of predominantly Black casts, these films found success with largely non-black audiences worldwide.

10. Are We There Yet (2005) – $97,918,663
Though Ice Cube’s wholly forgettable family comedy “Are We There Yet?” was savaged by critics upon its release, it made a hell of a lot of money at the box office. It even sparked a television series on TBS.

9. Little Man (2006) – $101,636,047
Arguably the lowest point in the entire Wayans family film catalog (yes, lower that White Chicks), “Little Man” was a big success at the box office. It also received a whopping seven Razzie nominations, winning a respectable three (Worst Actor, Worst Screen Couple, and Worst Remake/Rip-Off). Congrats, guys!

8. Ray (2004) – $125,305,995
“Ray” conveyed the heart-wrenching journey of Soul legend Ray Charles with originality and style. And Jamie Foxx was a revelation, snagging an Academy Award for Best Actor, and even a Grammy for his hit single with Kanye West (2005′s “Gold Digger”).

7. Boomerang (1992) – $131,052,444
Released in 1992, “Boomerang” stars Eddie Murphy as a womanizing ad executive who gets a taste of his own medicine when his new female boss turns out to be EXACTLY like him. Great laughs, great performances, and an amazing soundtrack. Can’t ask for more than that…

6. Big Momma’s House 2 (2006) – $137,047,376
“Big Momma’s House 2″ is probably one of the worst films ever made. But as with so many other “black” films, it fared phenomenally at the box office. BMH 2 is so bad that its ranked 80th on a Rotten Tomatoes list of the 100 worst reviewed films of the first decade of the 21st century.

5. Bad Boys (1995) – $141,247,413
“Bad Boys” is a pretty solid action film. But it loses points for being Michael Bay’s first film; thereby being responsible for some of the most mindless, brainless, loudest, noisiest, most chauvinistic film moments ever. Thanks, Will….

4. Dreamgirls (2006) – $154,965,956
Featuring an all-star cast, fantastic costume design and art direction, and a knockout soundtrack, the 2006 film adaption of “Dreamgirls” was a box office juggernaut and a critical smash. Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy’s performances are particularly stunning, with Hudson’s now-legendary rendition of “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” blowing up the airwaves and securing her an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

3. Big Momma’s House (2000) – $173,559,438
Released at the very beginning of the busy 2000 summer movie season, “Big Momma’s House” was a surprise hit, opening at number two, and nearly toppling the much hyped “Mission Impossible: II” for the top spot.

In other words, blame this for Madea…

2. Bad Boys II (2003) – $272,940,870
“Bad Boys II” grossed nearly twice as much as it predecessor. It’s also twice as loud and twice as ridiculous. Roger Ebert named it “the worst film of 2003″ upon its release (beating out Jennifer Lopez’ legendary flop “Gigli”), and I doubt that anyone who’s seen it even remembers the plot.

Did I mention they’re making a Bad Boys III?

1. Coming To America (1988) – $288,800,000
Fortunately, we end this list on a good note.

“Coming To America” is a comedy classic; beloved ( and quoted verbatim) all over the world. Eddie Murphy stars as an African prince who comes to New York in search of his bride. It’s absurd, culturally insensitive, and absolutely hilarious.

Much like the majority of this list.

mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 8:54pm

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Marvel Planning 'Black Panther' and 'Doctor Strange' Films

July 12, 2013 | Shay Mathews

Black Panther

Rumors that Marvel is working on Black Panther and Doctor Strange movies gained momentum recently thanks to Stan Lee. Lee recently confirmed that he's no longer directly involved in the company's inner workings, but it's reasonable to think that he's still privy to at least some of the projects in development. During an interview at the Wizard World Comic Con in New York City, he opened up about a few of them.

"So [Marvel is] working on Ant-Man, working on Doctor Strange; they're working on Guardians of the Galaxy; they're working on God knows what. Did I say the Black Panther also? They're the ones I know about, and they're working on others that I don't know about," said Lee.

Disney and Marvel have announced release dates for movies well into 2017, but at least three of the dates lack actual titles attached to them. Could Black Panther and Doctor Strange join Ant-Man and Avengers 3 in Marvel's Phase Three?

Black Panther, the first mainstream black superhero, is long overdue for a film. In the 90's, Wesley Snipes was actively involved in attempts to launch the movie; Djimon Hounsou voiced T'Challa in 2010; and earlier this year it was rumored that Morris Chestnut was being considered for the role. Even Vin Diesel's recent meeting at Marvel has raised eyebrows.

Marvel head Kevin Feige is a huge fan of Doctor Strange, so that film is almost a certainty. During an interview with MTV News earlier this year, Feige said, "He's a great, original character, and he checks the box off this criteria that I have: he's totally different from anything else we have, just like Guardians of the Galaxy."

I love Vin but he is not Black panther material. Just no. Morris Chestnut tho...Heart

5 star thread!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>