It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
honeybeee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: U-Part Wig
    Posted: Oct 31 2010 at 6:12pm
Hey y'all,

I am thinking about making a U-Part wig with some hair I have in my stash. My question is, how can I go about making my own wig cap? I checked out 'Divascancook' on YT who makes her own wig caps for her half wigs but I cant seem to tweak it to fit a U-part.

Any suggestions on how to go about this and how to sew around the U in order to make it blend nice?

TIA!
Sponsored Links

hiatus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2010 at 12:24am
Here's what I would do (I've never made the U part wig from a cap from scratch so this is just logical reasoning that I'm using, not real experience)

1.Make your cap using the elastic bands just as divascancook did, EXCEPT don't use any lingerie lace
2.Make sure the bands go all the way to the front of your head, instead of a little behind as she did since she was making a half wig and you're making a whole wig
3.Put a U-shaped band at the top where you wish your opening to be.
4. Go to this site: http://www.wigs.com/wig_buyers_guide.html , scroll to the bottom to #5 "Understanding Cap Construction". Basically you're going to make a hybrid of the Capless cap (2nd picture) and the Monofilament cap (3rd picture). Your bands will make up the "U" shape in the front, like the front of the monofilament cap is, but of course you're not hand tying anything inside of the "U". Plus you won't need that thick band as is in the front of the Capless wig, just use the regular sized elasic band
5.Cut the part of the band that would be on your forehead, so that now your "U" shape is open.
6.Secure combs or wig clips to the inside of the cap where you want it to attach to your real hair (or don't use any combs and just put in bobby pins later).
7. Place your tracks on the cap as you want them to be. Personally, I would do #7 before #6, b/c I'd think it would be easier to keep the cap in place as you put the tracks on if the whole band is there, but you could just pin it down to a wig head ifyou cut it first.
I hope this helps and you can visualize what I'm trying to say.
hiatus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2010 at 12:27am
PS: I purchased a U part wig a few years ago from New Hair (now called "Simiweave") and I just rememberd that the band *was* in the front of the wig. They left it on, and I had to cut it off to open up the U shape. I also looked in a wig that they still have and it uses no lace, just the bands, and some weave netting on each side.
dimplez854 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 10:26am
you can also check out peakmill she is on youtube and she show's you how to make a u part wig step by step here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH8MkBLoWao
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 3:49pm

I have never made a U part wig but....now this might not work for everyone but....I bought a regular wig and put it on then cut part of the top out...and pulled out my OWN Hair...

I used a small tiny sissors to cut small spaces at a time....
Then I'd use regular long bobby pins to secure the wig around the parimeter.
At the hole in the top area....I'd use real small bobby pins and secure.

It worked for me....its worth a try on a wig you can around to test...not a super expensive wig...like a 19.99 wig....I did it on a curly wig and it worked.

Try it.....

BossLady5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 10:01am

look @ XXTheIslandBeautyXX youtube videos. that's where i'm getting my inspiration from.

tushay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 7:41pm
sunshine,,,i've never thought of that, thats a great idea, especially if your in a hurry for time
BossLady5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 2:47pm
I absolutely LOVE my U-part wig. I only sew it down around my horse-shoe and just put 1 pin above each ear for security. that way, I can EASILY get to the rest of my hair. I take it off every 1-2 weeks and deep condition the wig as i wash/dc/whatever my natural hair.

I LOVE IT!
tushay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2011 at 9:29pm
i like candytt version of the u part,,,she makes it very very easy, and also peakmill....both on youtube
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic