BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unemployment Stats For Blacks Post Grad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unemployment Stats For Blacks Post Grad
    Posted: May 27 2014 at 5:42pm
Please do not ask for a summary, there's graphs available too lol

The comments are rather interesting lol. I died at the poor girl who claims that the factors listed are non-factors but rather its about "one's hustle and drive" only to admit that her ass didn't get a job until 2yrs laterSleepy

There's Some Really Bad News for Black College Graduates

Zak Cheney-Rices avatar image By Zak Cheney-Rice  

theres, some, really, bad, news, for, black, college, graduates, There's Some Really Bad News for Black College Graduates Image Credit: Getty

Bad news, black graduates: The American Dream might have to wait.

A new study from the Center for Economic and Policy Research reveals a troubling statistic: Recent black college grads face unemployment rates more than double those of their peers, and the gap has been widening since the recession. (duh)

Image Credit: CEPR

With a staggering 12.4% unemployment rate, the plight of black grads aged 22-27 dwarfs the overall grad average of 5.6% for the same age group. What's more, the black rate has nearly tripled since 2007, when it stood at 4.6%.

The study also calculates "underemployment," defined as "working in an occupation that typically does not require a four-year college degree." Once again, black grads come out on top — or rather, bottom — with a rate of 55.9%.

What's going on? The Huffington Post suggests that economic downturns have always been harder on young workers than their older counterparts. This is especially apparent today, with skyrocketing tuition costs and a $1.1 trillion student debt crisis on top of a hobbled economy and fewer job opportunities.

But black grads face a unique set of challenges. The overall black unemployment rate has consistently been twice that of whites for the past 60 years, with even wider gaps when jobs that disproportionately employ black workers disappear.

Image Credit: Pew Research Center

However: The study suggests another factor in this case: racial discrimination.

It's no secret that racist hiring practices have plagued black job applicants for years. A 2003 "audit study" by Devah Pager showed that black prospective employees in Milwaukee were less than half as likely as similarly qualified whites to receive a callback from potential employers.

In the same study, white applicants with criminal records were more likely to receive callbacks than similarly qualified black applicants with no record. A 2009 study centered in New York City delivered the same result.

Related findings from 2003 revealed a bias against applicants with names that "sounded black," as determined by an analysis of recent census records. In Boston and Chicago specifically, applicants with "white-sounding" names received 50% more callbacks than those with "black-sounding" names.

Seriously. This confluence of factors has resulted in a troubling pattern for recent black college grads. What's more, their negative impact holds steady for professions across the board. In more than half of the 13 major job categories, black grads lucky enough to find a job were more likely to work somewhere that did not require a four-year degree than somewhere that did.

Grads in the normally in-demand STEM fields fare only slightly better.

Perhaps scariest of all, the long-term impact of this problem remains to be seen. It could prove devastating, as poor job prospects only exacerbate the already persistent racial wealth gap between blacks and whites. Yet while the study concludes that discrimination patterns that informed labor markets before the recession still hold true, now there's a twist:

They're compounded by fallout from a major economic crisis. And once again, black people are being hit the hardest, even if they've graduated college.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/89767/there-s-some-really-bad-news-for-black-college-graduates

Edited by blaquefoxx - May 27 2014 at 5:46pm
Sponsored Links

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 5:44pm
That what happens to a community of people that have been kept out of opportunities for so long that we don't really have connections
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 5:46pm
is the time to bring up Uppity's post about black not having the luxury to major in psychology and the likes.... 
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

That what happens to a community of people that have been kept out of opportunities for so long that we don't really have connections

Basically.
And we have something against helping others for some reason.
Like "I did it on my own so should you."
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 5:53pm

when all you know is struggle sometimes you think it always has to be that way
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Basically.
I agree, especially towards our own smh.
leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote leftywefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 5:54pm
Thanks for posting this Blaque.
This country is so fucced up. Housing discrimination, job discrimination, murder…apparently as long as you're black, it's fine. No wonder black americans have a shorter lifespan than whites. All this bullsh*t we have to deal with on a consistent basis..we get to 65 yrs old and say fucc it.
It also makes you think about how pathetic these trailer trash uneducated white folk are. If you can't make it in this country as a white male..kill yourself. I'm proud to be black because I can honestly say that I worked my ass off for everything I have attained.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 6:00pm
You know what's interesting Sang, I was reading a comment section of one of my favorite blogs and an Asian person wrote something similar regarding Asians being conditioned not to help each other and, in fact, being harder on other Asians as a way of proving to White people that they are not biased

ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Basically.

truthHeart

ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by leftywefty leftywefty wrote:

Thanks for posting this Blaque.
This country is so fucced up. Housing discrimination, job discrimination, murder…apparently as long as you're black, it's fine. No wonder black americans have a shorter lifespan than whites. All this bullsh*t we have to deal with on a consistent basis..we get to 65 yrs old and say fucc it.
It also makes you think about how pathetic these trailer trash uneducated white folk are. If you can't make it in this country as a white male..kill yourself. I'm proud to be black because I can honestly say that I worked my ass off for everything I have attained.

Question
do we really?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures