Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Unemployment Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GphiD08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GphiD08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unemployment Question
    Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 1:50am

I posted this in the career section, but I figure I would get more traffic up here.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance and I highlighted the key points for those that don't wish to read my long post.

So I have been working overseas for my company for the past 18 months and a part of the international assignment that I am on (as it states in my offer letter) says that upon completion of the assignment that I will be offered a position in NJ that matches my skills/experience upon relocation back to the U.S.

To make a long story short, My boss offered me a job in Oklahoma back in April and I declined it. I told him that based on my expectations when accepting the job and for personal reasons I am not ready to relocate at this time he said ok, I will reach back out to you in June. So last week rolls around and he comes to me we with another offer in California, and I have to speak with him today to let him know that I will not be taking the job for the exact same reasons I told him before.

After some brief e-mails last week I know that if I don't take the job I may not come back with a job, but what I want to know is would I not be eligible for unemployment, since technically I turned down two offers of employment? Or would I be eligible since I my orginal offer was to be based in NJ? Of course I plan to look for a job, so I do not have to be on unemployment, but I like to be prepared (I actually have a call this week with a global company in NY).

At the end of the day I know the chess game that is played in corporate and I'm not about to be moving about and at the end of the day there is no clearly defined career path for me (amongst other things that has happened to me in the last 18months).

BTW: I have done some research on this, but I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this.

Edited by GphiD08 - Jun 10 2013 at 1:56am
Sponsored Links

Anah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Anah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 2:21am
Girl Good Luck! I have no concrete answer but I don't think you would qualify based on the fact that you are refusing a job offer. You should def contact your HR rep and ask what are the UE qualifiers, do it anonymously if you canLOL Go to them b/c that is who UE gets in contact with once you file a claim.

Are you not ready to locate now because you don't want to be anywhere other than NJ?
You mention personal reasons and expectations, did you specifically state that you were expecting to be placed in a position in NJ and is why you took the job in the 1st place? Could be way off but if what I highlighted in red is exactly what you said, you aren't being direct.

Are there no other positions available in NJ? Like, whats going on here lol, we went from NJ, to OK, to CAConfused

Originally posted by GphiD08 GphiD08 wrote:

So I have been working overseas for my company for the past 18 months and a part of the international assignment that I am on (as it states in my offer letter) says that upon completion of the assignment that I will be offered a position in NJ that matches my skills/experience upon relocation back to the U.S.

To make a long story short, My boss offered me a job in Oklahoma back in April and I declined it. I told him that based on my expectations when accepting the job and for personal reasons I am not ready to relocate at this time he said ok, I will reach back out to you in June. So last week rolls around and he comes to me we with another offer in California, and I have to speak with him today to let him know that I will not be taking the job for the exact same reasons I told him before.

GphiD08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GphiD08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 2:58am

Thanks for your reply @Anah

When accepting the job it was a clear expectation on my part and of the company that I would be based in NJ upon completion of the assignment and all communication up until April has been to that effect.

There are several factors actually for me wanting to stay in NJ, but I told him personal reasons because I like to maintain a clear line between work and my personal life. However, the second time around I did let him know that I am now engaged.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with moving (as I have lived in Switzerland, Italy and Malaysia Since Jan 2012 I just need a break from a WORK, WORK, WORK lifestyle) ; however, there are a few things that I'm taking into account on my decision. Here are my top 3: 1. Engagement 2. Honestly I miss my family (I’ve been overseas for 18 months and his expectation is that I soon as I leave here I will move to Cali, and he is not flexible about me coming to NJ for a few months then moving to Cali, so I’m not sure how he expects me to even move my car and my things that I have in storage) 3. I don't plan to stay at this company very long anyway because of a few things that have happened along the way, so it is easier for me to transition out if I am in the NY/NJ area.

Well I actually work in HR, so I don't think calling anonymously will work for me lol, but I will try to give a call to UE office again (the few times I did call the wenches put me on hold for like 30 minutes and never came back)

I'm not sure what is going on, but when I spoke to him last week I asked if I don't take the job in Cali are there no opportunities in NJ and he said probably not, but I will try. It is a bit confusing to me because this position was supposed to be budgeted for and just in Feb/March  I confirmed that I would indeed be coming back to the NJ office.

Originally posted by Anah Anah wrote:

Girl Good Luck! I have no concrete answer but I don't think you would qualify based on the fact that you are refusing a job offer. You should def contact your HR rep and ask what are the UE qualifiers, do it anonymously if you canLOL Go to them b/c that is who UE gets in contact with once you file a claim.

Are you not ready to locate now because you don't want to be anywhere other than NJ?
You mention personal reasons and expectations, did you specifically state that you were expecting to be placed in a position in NJ and is why you took the job in the 1st place? Could be way off but if what I highlighted in red is exactly what you said, you aren't being direct.

Are there no other positions available in NJ? Like, whats going on here lol, we went from NJ, to OK, to CAConfused

Originally posted by GphiD08 GphiD08 wrote:

Edited by GphiD08 - Jun 10 2013 at 3:00am
babycakebabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote babycakebabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 3:33am
it all depends on if your job puts you into the computer with a code that says they terminated you on good terms or if they put that you separated from the company on good terms. no guarantee on how ot will go with ui IMO.
GphiD08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GphiD08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 3:39am
Thanks @BCB!

I think I can ask one of my colleagues on the low how UE claims are handled. She is typically very helpful when I have questions, but she has a big arse mouth.
ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 5:29am
Here in Florida, you can still receive unemployment if you quit for a legit reason. I don't know if it's like that in other states tho.

If your company promised you a job in Jersey and you made it clear to them that you would only take a job in Jersey and they couldn't provide it, then you would probably get it here.

If they just offered you a job in the US period, and they gave you that, but you turned it down cuz it's not where you want it to be, then I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get unemployment.

GphiD08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GphiD08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 6:23am
Thanks for the insight Shady! I have my offer letter still which states " after the completion of your18-month assignment, you will be offered a position in XYZ city, New Jersey which shalll be commensurate with your experience and skills."

Welp I guess I'll see what happens I just hope this other job offer pulls through e for I have to deal with all of that.
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 7:46am
Honestly, since you are refusing employment by turning down 2 offers you probably won't get it.  Or if you do get it, and your company appeals and wins, you will be forced to pay back any funds you got. 

My friend applied for unemployment after leaving her job (for different reasons then yours) and got several thousand.  Her company appealed, won, and basically it really wasn't worth the hassle for her.  Remember your company pays for your UE, not the fed govt. 

Edited by Tbaby - Jun 10 2013 at 7:47am
babycakebabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote babycakebabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 7:55am
I thought about this and I think that you need an employment lawyer to guide you through this because:
1. The company did not hold up to their end of the original employment agreement but you did.
2. The lawyer may be able to negotiate on your behalf to get you the lateral job in NJ.
3. If a job in NJ does not exist and there is nothing in the fine print of the contract saying you have to go to CA, etc, the lawyer may be able to negotiate a generous severance package for you or in worse case scenario, a threat of lawsuit for breech of contract with hopes that they pay you a settlement.

With you being in HR, I hope that you have former colleagues in the industry but not at the same job that you can reach out to for advice to have all bases covered, but call an employment lawyer asap...Good luck!
GphiD08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GphiD08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:35am
Thanks for your input Tbaby and babycake

I really hate UE it is so dang ambiguous. 

I don't want to just accept a job just for the sake of having a job and be miserable/depressed in Cali, I have enough savings to last me a while, but the UE would help to keep my savings up. If I learned one thing in Life it's definietly to do what makes you happy because the money only lasts for so long.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>