Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Under 50 posts? Ask hair breakage questions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Under 50 posts? Ask hair breakage questions here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 99>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Zealkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zealkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 10:47am
Eh my hair keeps breaking and I have no idea why :/
I'm relaxed, I think 4 weeks post and I've been trying to focus on retention, and i already did a clarifying shampoo this month as well as a protein treatment. I don't think the moisture/protein balance is my problem, I moisturize and seal weekly and put on a daily moisturizer, I've also been starting to do protein treatments bi-weekly to keep the balance equal.
I don't know if it's how I handle my hair, because I try not to comb it all the time. Sometimes my fingers are enough, but most of the time they aren't so I end up combing with a wide tooth comb daily.
I'm just at a loss atm, It feels like there's no point because I cannot retain, the breakage always takes away from any growth I have. :/
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2012 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Zealkin Zealkin wrote:

I'm relaxed, I think 4 weeks post and I've been trying to focus on retention, and i already did a clarifying shampoo this month as well as a protein treatment. I don't think the moisture/protein balance is my problem, I moisturize and seal weekly and put on a daily moisturizer, I've also been starting to do protein treatments bi-weekly to keep the balance equal.
I don't know if it's how I handle my hair, because I try not to comb it all the time. Sometimes my fingers are enough, but most of the time they aren't so I end up combing with a wide tooth comb daily.
I'm just at a loss atm, It feels like there's no point because I cannot retain, the breakage always takes away from any growth I have. :/

How often do you use a blowdryer and/or flat iron and do you use a heat protectant?
Zealkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zealkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2012 at 9:07am
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

How often do you use a blowdryer and/or flat iron and do you use a heat protectant?

I don't use heat at all :/
The only heat I use is when I baggy I put a hot wash cloth over my head to emulate heat.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 11:08pm

I don't use heat at all :/
The only heat I use is when I baggy I put a hot wash cloth over my head to emulate heat.

Hmmm...that is puzzling.  Care to break down on what you do to your hair and products that you use?  Also do you use a silk scarf when you do go bed?  Just trying to pinpoint the problem?  Are you under stress or have any medical problems (i.e. anemia, hypothyroidism, etc)?
Zealkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zealkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2012 at 12:09pm

Hmmm...that is puzzling.  Care to break down on what you do to your hair and products that you use?  Also do you use a silk scarf when you do go bed?  Just trying to pinpoint the problem?  Are you under stress or have any medical problems (i.e. anemia, hypothyroidism, etc)?

I use l'oreal sulfate free moisturizing shampoo on wash days, and after washing I either follow up with neutrgoena daily deep conditioner or nexxus /kerraphix(depending on the week) I baggy and leave in the deep conditioner or nexxus conditioner for about an hour with a hot wash cloth, and then rinse out with cold water. Then I t-shirt dry for about an hour and add my leave ins: neutrogena silk touch and sometimes s-curl.

The day after I moisturize with softsheen carson wave nouveau and seal with a mix of castor oil, vatika and argan oil.

The rest of the week i just moisturize with silk leave in and s-curl when my new growth gets too nappy. I do have a silk scarf and pillow which I use regularly.

I don't know if i'm really under stress, I am in college right now which can be stressful, but i haven't had a break down or anything. I have been experimenting with other products though, depending on the day I sometimes use nexxus split end promend, and alaffia shea and virgin coconut hair lotion, but i haven't found a way to put them in my regimen in a balanced manner I guess. I was also thinking about incorporating silk peptide into my shampoo and conditioners, but i've yet to buy it. Maybe I have product overload or something?
VivianLearns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VivianLearns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 7:45pm
At the time, I was a college student. I had a dominican stylist back home who gave me a rinse. When it was time for me to get another rinse I went to a local dominican salon where my school was. SUCH A BAD DECISION. The woman actually put red permanent dye in my hair and needless to say, I suffered tremendous hair breakage. 

That was in 2008 and my edges have never been the same, and neither has the back of my hair for that matter. My crown grows without a problem, but my edges and back do NOT. I am running out of ideas. My stylist continuously cuts the "damaged area", but to me it just appears that she is simply routinely cutting the hair from my crown to be even with the small pieces of hair in the back of my head. I need help. My crown even grew back to my old length, but then it just keeps getting cut to match the inch in the back of my hair. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. It has been 4 years, I feel like my hair should have grown back by now! 

I have made it my mission to grow out my hair. Please help if you have any product suggestions or treatment regimes. 
Zealkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zealkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2012 at 7:13am
Ugh my ends are horrible now, theyre all frizzy and under-processed i think. When i go through them with a wide tooth comb or my fingers a lot of hair come off the ends, almost every-time. I don't know if it's just genetics and I can't grow my hair past that but my hair is always thin at the ends by the time they reach my shoulders, I tried baggying last night, that only seemed to make it worse :(

Edited by Zealkin - Oct 03 2012 at 7:13am
Quizeyfbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quizeyfbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 6:50pm
Thank you soooo much. I joined this forum to ask questions, but I would like to help as much as I can. Lately my hair has been breaking off very easily. I thought it was just my hair not being properly moisturized but im starting to.think I need to start using protein products. I would like to know about sone good ones that I coukd start using. I dont know my hair type yet but I do get relaxers and have had a good experience with them overall. Thank you!!!
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:29pm

Ugh my ends are horrible now, theyre all frizzy and under-processed i think. When i go through them with a wide tooth comb or my fingers a lot of hair come off the ends, almost every-time. I don't know if it's just genetics and I can't grow my hair past that but my hair is always thin at the ends by the time they reach my shoulders, I tried baggying last night, that only seemed to make it worse :(

i'm not relaxed...but if i had to guess, it sounds like your ends might be in for a trim. after this i would recommend laying off combing your hair for days at a time- preferably going about a week between detangling sessions to minimize the damage that your ends incur. to keep your hair detangled in the mean time, i suggest smoothing your hairstyles over with your fingers only, and choosing easy to install protective styles that won't tangle your hair, like buns or jaw clips or banana clips or something. that way you're not manipulating your hair too much, because the thing about hair is it's so fragile that you really want to handle it as minimally as possible if you want to eliminate breakage. 
additionally, your hair may struggle to get past your shoulders if you wear your hair down a lot. when your hair is just at shoulder length and it's already weak, it becomes susceptible to the friction caused by rubbing against your clothing. try wearing your hair up consistently all the time for the next few months and see if your ends fare better.
also when you do handle your hair, keep stress off of your ends. your ends should still look in good shape months after your last trim. if you have to keep trimming every month or every 2-3 that's not good for length retention purposes. it's all about preservation. Thumbs Up

aliengirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aliengirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 11:26pm
why the 50 post rule?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 99>