Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Uncle Sam's fault your sis is dead?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uncle Sam's fault your sis is dead?
    Posted: Nov 09 2013 at 10:50am
Would the Gov't paying millions to all families effected by psycho killers solve anything truthfully?  Are their claims legit or not?  Read the article and post your thoughts.

I ask this because there are obvious financial and moral ramifications for allowing families to sue/win for the deaths of love ones killed.  Seems like when there are more and more terrible mass killings, ppl seem quick to hire lawyers seeking monetary compensation for the loss of their loved ones. 

Greed might have crept into the grieving process it seems Maybe I'm wrong the that's the impression I'm getting here.

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — The family of a woman slain during the mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard is seeking $37.5 million from the government, saying the Navy and Department of Veterans Affairs ignored red flags about the killer’s deteriorating mental health.

During a news conference Friday in Tampa, attorneys for the family of Mary DeLorenzo Knight said they were seeking the money in an administrative claim. The claim, one of the first steps toward filing a lawsuit, has been delivered to the agencies.

Knight was one of 12 people gunned down by Aaron Alexis on Sept. 16 before he was killed in a shootout with police. The lawsuit said the contractor Alexis worked for should have told the Navy about his mental health problems and that the Navy should not have given him security clearance. Navy officials have said they found no record the company alerted the Navy about his mental health.

Knight, a 51-year-old divorced mother of two adult daughters, was born into a military family and worked as an expert in cybersecurity at the Navy Yard.

“My sister would want me to fight for her and fight for the girls,” said Patricia DeLorenzo, Knight’s younger sister.

DeLorenzo wanted to know why a man with a mental illness was allowed into the Navy Yard with a gun.

The FBI has said Alexis entered the Navy Yard in a vehicle and parked in a deck across from Building 197. He went into the building carrying a bag and came out of a fourth-floor bathroom with a shotgun.

“We can stop crazy guys with guns from coming on our property,” Knight family attorney Sidney Matthew said. “Since 9-11, there is no excuse for any governmental agency not to pass along information that there are dangerous crazy guys out there.”

Alexis was employed by the Fort Lauderdale-based company The Experts. The company declined comment on the claim.

The Navy has ordered an in-depth investigation into the shooting and the events that led up to it, including a detailed look at the shooter, his mental health background and whether any adverse information was ever reported to the service about him.

According to the lawsuit, Alexis was delusional and believed “he was being controlled or influenced by low-frequency electromagnetic waves.” The lawsuit said the VA failed to treat his mental illness when Alexis went to a VA emergency room Aug. 23 for insomnia and detailed three arrests involving Alexis and his post-traumatic stress disorder, anger management problems and alcohol abuse.

The VA has said Alexis visited hospitals in Washington and Rhode Island in the weeks before the rampage but denied that he was depressed or having thoughts of harming himself or others.

The VA has also said he was evaluated for mental health problems that might have contributed to his insomnia, but records don’t reveal a history of mental health disorders.

Sponsored Links

Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2013 at 11:16am
This should be interesting..

Virgina Tech had to pay money to the victims families. If she does get some money it wont EVER be  close to what she is seeking. According to their records if he never admitted to having mental health issues there is only so much culpability on their part as they can't force an adult to commit themselves or take medication.

Edited by Ladycoils - Nov 09 2013 at 11:18am
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2013 at 12:40pm
I think the amount is greed. 37 mill? I think that the navy yard should have had a stricter policy as far as access to the base is concerned. I have been there before and they really didn't check anything but my ID. They need to do thorough car searches. This could have possibly prevented him from killing anyone. I think people sue for everything these das though.
oh_so_moody View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oh_so_moody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2013 at 12:44pm
The 37.5 million is a tactic.

U ask for an extreme amount as the atty will get at least 33% of the settlement. Im sure they are going to settle on a lesser amount.... which leaves them closer to what she is expecting to receive.... $1 million or so.

Like buying a car, u start of high and go back & forth on price to close on what u really wanted anyways.

Edited by oh_so_moody - Nov 09 2013 at 12:46pm
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2013 at 12:59pm

I think Trayvon parents deserve that amount or more .

beebeexx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beebeexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2013 at 5:35pm
mental illness doesn't always mean what people want it to mean.
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2013 at 8:54pm
Petiteone29--I go on bases all the time and for them to check every car would cause excessive waits to get in.  Spot checks done randomly might help.

India--Why would Trayvon's parents "deserve" any money?  Cash won't soften the senseless killing of a young innocent man, nor will it bring him back.  Zimmerman isn't rich, so he can't pay $$$.

beebeexx--please explain what you mean...

Lady coils--how much money did the university pay to the families?
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2013 at 9:24pm
She can try but gov't can argue that many people have mental illnesses, are productive adults, and cause no issues. Asking about someone mental health status for a job can be seen as discrimination.

danieb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danieb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 11:17am
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

She can try but gov't can argue that many people have mental illnesses, are productive adults, and cause no issues. Asking about someone mental health status for a job can be seen as discrimination.

Not really.

If your mental disability leads an employer to believe you will be incompetent for a job it is not discrimination. Various careers require psychological testing as part of their application process.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply