Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedUK Naturals (others can help too)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK Naturals (others can help too)
    Posted: Jul 17 2011 at 8:42am
I need help from all of the ladies across the pond.  I'm getting ready for a 3 month internship in the UK (I'll say where it is later...I have a couple options of where it could be and I don't want to jinx my top choice).  But In between applying for a work visa, clearing for immigration and paying the deposit on an apartment, I neglected to make a game plan for my hair.  I'm not even going to bother taking my hair products with me If I don't have to.  I'll just buy most of what I need once I get there, aside from CHI Keratin Mist and EVCO.  Those things don't take up a lot of space.  But before I begin packing my suitcase, there are a few things I need to know.

What is the price range for a good shampoo and conditioner?  Remember, I'm just an average broke American student...

What are your favorite product lines that aren't available in the US?

Have you ever taken a transatlantic flight?  If so, will my hair products most definitely explode in the decreased air pressure on the plane?

What's the percentage of black people there?DeadDeadDeadDeadOuch

Do the mens like natural hair?Embarrassed

Is it really that good of a decision not to bring my hair products with me?  Or should I risk taking them for the sake of cost?

I'll come up with more questions later.  Hopefully someone can help.

Edited by krisviola1 - Jul 17 2011 at 8:43am
Sponsored Links

FleureDeCheveux View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2011 at 8:58am
Originally posted by krisviola1 krisviola1 wrote:

I need help from all of the ladies across the pond.  I'm getting ready for a 3 month internship in the UK (I'll say where it is later...I have a couple options of where it could be and I don't want to jinx my top choice).  But In between applying for a work visa, clearing for immigration and paying the deposit on an apartment, I neglected to make a game plan for my hair.  I'm not even going to bother taking my hair products with me If I don't have to.  I'll just buy most of what I need once I get there, aside from CHI Keratin Mist and EVCO.  Those things don't take up a lot of space.  But before I begin packing my suitcase, there are a few things I need to know.

What is the price range for a good shampoo and conditioner?  Remember, I'm just an average broke American student... What shampoo/condish do you normally use? What is your price range? For example, Aussie moist conditioner is about £3.50 or and the conditioner about £4. There are also a lot of black shops that sell shampoos/condish for varying prices but where they are depend on where you are living. But if you cowash you can always go to the small pharmacies/pound shops which are around the country and bulk buy on Tresemme and Alberto Balsam.

What are your favorite product lines that aren't available in the US? Hard to know since I don't travel to the US.

Have you ever taken a transatlantic flight?  If so, will my hair products most definitely explode in the decreased air pressure on the plane? LOL! This is new to me. I don't think so, but I don't want to get into trouble if I'm wrong! Best to check the airport website to see which goods are good to go into the ba ge check.

What's the percentage of black people there?DeadDeadDeadDeadOuch Where are you staying? For example, the densest black populations are in London and Birmingham by far. But as a rule of thumb, the smaller the city and the further up north you go there are fewer blacks.

Do the mens like natural hair?Embarrassed How long is a piece of string? You will find people who like natural and people who don't. You should do you, I think.

Is it really that good of a decision not to bring my hair products with me?  Or should I risk taking them for the sake of cost? Maybe after some more responses you can make a better judgment. But probably best to take a few things you know are def not available here if you can't live without 'em since it's only 3 months. But then again, I also don't know how much you need to carry and if it will take up valuable space.

Hope this helps.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2011 at 9:20am
Thank you so much for answering!  I'm not picky when it comes to shampoos and conditioners as long as they get the job done.  Your info on Aussie moist and Tresemme is really helpful.

And about the products exploding, I took a two hour flight to my sisters house and the bottom of my conditioner literally fell off.  The bottle just fell apart.  Ever since then I've been afraid to take things on the airplane with me.
kandi*tess View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2011 at 9:49am

What is the price range for a good shampoo and conditioner?  Remember, I'm just an average broke American student... shampoo: anywhere from 99p-3.99, deep conditioner: 1.99-3.99, cheapie conditioner for cowashing etc: usually round 99p

What are your favorite product lines that aren't available in the US? everything I use is probably available in the US

Have you ever taken a transatlantic flight?  If so, will my hair products most definitely explode in the decreased air pressure on the plane? yes I have . no your hair products wont explode lol

What's the percentage of black people there?DeadDeadDeadDeadOuch depends on the city. London has the most black people; you can see black people everywhere in London. Other cities with a higher number of black people are Birmingham, Manchester and Coventry.

Do the mens like natural hair?Embarrassed Difficult question to answer, I think generally most men prefer the 22inch weave style that most black women seem to wear these days. But when I do get approached, the first thing the men usually say is 'I love your hair, I think more women should have natural hair etc etc'

Is it really that good of a decision not to bring my hair products with me?  Or should I risk taking them for the sake of cost? If you already have the hair products I would say bring them along. I'm sure they are definitely cheaper than UK prices. However, you might need the space in your suitcase so i dunno really lol

Ese88 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2011 at 11:08am
Hiya I order my products from a uk website called british curlies and that has most of the popular US product lines for natural hair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2011 at 7:22am
bump
AlexandriaMarie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2011 at 11:36am

What is the price range for a good shampoo and conditioner?  Remember, I'm just an average broke American student...

I studied in London for 4 months, and do not remember prices well, but I do know this: DO NOT sleep on getting your hair products at BOOTS. For me, the prices were great, and there were so many things I wanted to try. I believe the price ranges for products like Herbal Essences and Aussie seem cheaper, but with the exchange rate they're about the same...don't quote me on that. They have a website, if you want to check prices, and there are Boots stores all over the country (idk about Scotland though...)...oh, and they DO have Sally's there too!

What are your favorite product lines that aren't available in the US?

The store brand from BOOTS lol (of course)...it worked pretty well. They have a curl cream that was less than £1. Worked well and have 1 jar left (thank goodness!)

Have you ever taken a transatlantic flight?  If so, will my hair products most definitely explode in the decreased air pressure on the plane?

Yeah, I've taken a few transatlantic flights. Out of the past 3 years, I've spent a whole year in Europe, and I do know about this air issue...if you are taking products with you, make sure the containers aren't completely full (also, pack them in plastic bags). Ex: that jar I spoke of above, well let's just say I had MAJOR issues with bringing it from London to southern France. I had 2 jars, and the full one exploded all over everything....(the flight was only 2 hours)

What's the percentage of black people there?DeadDeadDeadDeadOuch

I can only speak of England, but I'd say the percentage of black people is....good lol. If where you are going is a big city, you'll be ok.

Do the mens like natural hair?Embarrassed

When I was there on holiday (as a natural) I didn't have any problem getting hollered at! When I studied abroad in London, I was relaxed....and the attention was...lacking lol

Is it really that good of a decision not to bring my hair products with me?  Or should I risk taking them for the sake of cost?

Honestly, when I go overseas, I take enough products to last me a month. After that, I make do with what I can find over there. As long as you are in an English-speaking country I've found that you will always find something that works in your hair (this was only slightly difficult in France because I didn't know that shea butter was called Beure de Karité lol). And do not forget the internet...I found that a lot of times, buying stuff over the internet in Europe was just as cheap (or cheaper) than getting it from the store.

**I have to add this: Sometimes, not always, the prices can be comparative to the US. What I mean by that is just replace the dollar sign with a pound sign or a euro sign. It just depends on what shops you choose. As you will be using the country's respective currency, it sort of balances itself out. If you have any other questions, let me know. I'd be glad to help!

Lyoness View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 5:22pm
Where in the UK will you be?

Don't overlook TKMaxx and shops own brand products, the £1 shop also has random gems.

I love the Naked range Boots [a chemist come beauty product shop] sells and Andrew burton [ I think] shea range sold in ASDA [a supermarket] - not sure how available they are in the US
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Lyoness Lyoness wrote:

Where in the UK will you be?

Don't overlook TKMaxx and shops own brand products, the £1 shop also has random gems.

I love the Naked range Boots [a chemist come beauty product shop] sells and Andrew burton [ I think] shea range sold in ASDA [a supermarket] - not sure how available they are in the US

State-wise, Boots products are very limited and it is usually the skincare and makeup line that is available here (in Target).

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 8:39pm
There are TJ Maxx stores in the UK????

Dumb question, what about Walmart?
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic