Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

"Ugly" Food: The Solution to Food Wastage?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Ugly" Food: The Solution to Food Wastage?
    Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:26am

A French Company May Have Found A Solution to the World's Absurd Food Waste Problem

Matt Connollys avatar image By Matt Connolly  
a, french, company, may, have, found, a, solution, to, the, worlds, absurd, food, waste, problem,
A French Company May Have Found A Solution to the World's Absurd Food Waste ProblemImage Credit: Marcel/YouTube

They're the castoffs, the misfits, the pathetic ones — and they might just save the world.

No, not eccentric geniuses or people in an Apple commercial. We're talking about the carrots, mangoes and potatoes that everyone's throwing away because they don't look quite right.

While it's recommended that you get 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, that can be difficult for a family struggling with finances. Despite that, 1.3 billion tons of food (one-third of all food produced!) gets lost or goes to waste, according to the UN.

Intermarché, a grocery store chain in France, came up with a novel solution. They bought all the ugly, misshapen fruits and veggies that farms usually toss out and set them up in their own aisle. The results? See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2nSECWq_PE

How it works: Let's be real — if you saw one of those apples or oranges in the store next to some perfectly good-looking ones, you would avoid it like the plague. Intermarché solved that problem by giving the ugly fruits and vegetables their own specially marked aisle.

And if that weren't enough, they had samples. One taste of orange juice taken from the misfit harvest can prove to shoppers that those oranges aren't as freaky to taste as they are to look at. (It also helped that they were 30% cheaper.)

Despite the discount, it apparently paid off for Intermarché. Participating stores sold an average of 1.2 tons of the reclaimed produce during the first two days of the promotion, while store traffic increased by 24%, according to the company.

Going hungry: Starvation and food insecurity are not just problems in the developing world. In the U.S. in 2012, 49 million Americans lived in food insecure households, including nearly 16 million children.

That trend can get even worse depending on the state. In Mississippi, for instance, more than one in five households are food insecure. Arkansas and Texas aren't too far behind, at 19.7% and 18.4% respectively.

Worldwide, according to the UN, there are 842 million people who suffer from chronic hunger. More available fruits and vegetables means healthier diets the world over, and we're wasting enough already. So find a place in your heart — and in your stomach — for those malformed monstrosities.

Sponsored Links

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:29am
when I go shopping for my fruit and veggies I buy ugly fruit and veggies. Spotted bananas...obscene looking tomatoes. they're so much cheaper but taste the same if not better. It saves money. Especially if you're one who eats high raw.
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 8:26am
I buy fruits and veggies from farmers markets... the ugly ones always get love from me...
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 9:07am
Man I haven't been to the farmers market in some time.  I have to see how much cheaper these fruits and vegetables are before I could cosign.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 9:15am
that apple is a conjoined twin tho.
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

that apple is a conjoined twin tho.

its a two-fer Wink
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake