FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Typhoon Headed for Tokyo

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Typhoon Headed for Tokyo
    Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 6:20pm
Another crazy ass radar photo...

Japan’s storm of the decade: Typhoon Wipha lashing Tokyo, Fukushima

By Jason Samenow, Published: October 15 at 2:33 pmE-mail the writer

Typhoon Wipha is barreling up the east coast of Japan, spreading torrential rains and the likelihood of damaging winds.

Typhoon Wipha (NOAA)

Typhoon Wipha (NOAA)

The storm’s maximum sustained winds are currently around 85 mph and gusts that high could impact Tokyo as the center moves very close to the city of 35 million people early Wednesday morning (local time, or this evening EDT).

At 4 a.m. local time, the wind was sustained at 40 mph, gusting to 52 mph at Tokyo International Airport with heavy rain and visibility less than 1 mile.

While the storm is weakening as it transitions from a tropical to mid-latitude storm, its field of strong winds is expanding as it combines with a cold front intersecting its path.  Winds of over 58 mph extend about 130 miles west of its center.

Areas at greatest risk of flooding rain and damaging winds (AccuWeather.com)

Areas at greatest risk of flooding rain and damaging winds (AccuWeather.com)

The threat of tree damage and power outages is elevated due to leaves still on trees notes Wunderground’s Jeff Masters.

The Japan Meteorological Agency is classifying the storm as a “once in a decade” event writes the Japan Daily Press.  It is the strongest storm to impact the region since Typhoon Tokage in October, 2004.

Heavy rain, sometimes falling at a rate of 1 inch per hour or greater, has already progressed into Japan’s northern reaches.

Link: Radar from Japan Meteorological Agency

Widespread rainfall totals of 4-8 inches are likely throughout Japan, with locally higher amounts.

In Fukushima, there are concerns flooding could complicate clean-up efforts at its nuclear site after recent leakage of radioactive material. Reports ThinkProgress:

Fukushima’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Corporation is already cancelling all offshore work and considering halting onshore work depending on the storm’s path. While Tokyo Electric plans to pump rainwater into holding tanks, check it for radioactivity, and release it only if uncontaminated, the fact that they haven’t been able to contain leaks raises concerns over the further escape of radioactive water.

If there is good news, the center of the storm is likely to remain just offshore Japan’s coast, which means Tokyo and Fukushima should remain west of the push of water (or the storm surge) directed by the storm’s flow on its east side.

Track forecast for Wipha (Joint Typhoon Warning Center)

Track forecast for Wipha (Joint Typhoon Warning Center)

In addition, the center’s closest approach should coincide with low tide, notes meteorologist Eric Holthaus.

In short, the risk of a storm surge disaster is decreasing. Still, the inland fetch of water on the storm’s north side will raise the seas some and cause some minor tidal flooding.

As Andrew Freedman as Climate Central notes, typhoons are fairly common in Japan, although they are often transitioning into “hybrid systems” – a cross between tropical and mid-latitude storms – that far north.

Sponsored Links

Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 6:24pm
Japan can't catch a breakCry
oh_so_moody View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote oh_so_moody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 8:43pm
I hate to say it but it's not safe in these Revelation streets....
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2013 at 2:19am
noooooooooooooooo....i hope they keep safe....i wanna visit one dayCry
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2013 at 3:28am
It wasn't that bad, though.  I thought I was going to be the perfect teacher and roll up to work as per usual.  My train was completely shut down.  I wasn't able to catch a train until almost 12 noon.  And it sucked because it was so packed!

The typhoon was from 6am-9am, so I just chilled out, did some laundry and did a little cleaning up in my room. 

Last night is when it sort of started up.  My boss at my other job was like, "But...you're still coming to work, right?"  fukk you!
beautiful_hair View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beautiful_hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2013 at 4:53am
I stayed home from work and watched tv.  Like Tokyo said, it wasn't that bad.  
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2013 at 9:40am
Originally posted by oh_so_moody oh_so_moody wrote:

sure isnt. fukushima sounds really cool though. i like it.Smile
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2013 at 9:43am
I really don't know why they are mentioning Tokyo and Fukushima in the same sentence, though, because they are nowhere near each other.
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2013 at 10:22am
Originally posted by oh_so_moody oh_so_moody wrote:

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic