BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Two strand twist regimens?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

i soo have to update this!

i keep my twists in for 4 weeks now, minimum.  they take about 9 hours to put in.

i wash weekly and realize that the reason i was getting so much frizz was because i was rubbing the shampoo onto my twists (big no-no).  i also redo the perimeter weekly (after the first two weeks).  i moisturize every other day with darcy's leave in and jbco.  my hair feels awesome.

i am in twists from about september to may...and i do them throughout the summer, but bigger and keep them in for about 2 weeks at a time.

hi there!

i wear mini twists 99% of the time.  i love them!  i keep my twists for about 2 weeks now because they take about 6 hrs to put in.  i usually wash in my twists, but i do experience dryness after the wash, even when i condition.  i also get frizz (which is why i used to take them out each week before my wash).  so, i am working on a technique that will eliminate the dryness and greatly reduce the frizz.  currently, my twists have been in for almost two weeks and i have not washed since the first week, and they look great.  i have been spritzing with water and moisturizing daily so my twists feel soft and fluffy.  i will definitely wash them at the 2 week mark, which to me is a long time to go without washing my hair. 

i dc every other week with or without the twists.  after my wash, i do not have to moisturize for about 4 days after, but on the fourth day, i spritz with water and add my leave in and oils daily until i wash again.  i wash weekly.  i do not cowash.  i twist with darcy's botanicals avocado and honey twisting cream.  this cream will change your life...i always say that.  i have tried tons of twisting creams and darcy's is by far the best.  my hair comes out feeling like a cloud. :-)

i part my hair with a comb horizontally, but within that section, i just pull the hair vertically and twist.  this has been the best method for me.  i can do updo's, half up/down styles, etc. and not have to worry about parts looking crazy....i also make a center and a side part in the front so that i have the option to switch it up if i like.

you should pop into the challenge that we have going on in the twists section.  it's over at the end of the month, but we are starting another one in august. be sure to join that one!  :-)

wow you get them to last for four weeks? how how how?
Sponsored Links

Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 2:19am
^^^^i think it's all about how you moisturize and how you wash.

when you moisturize, use a spritz (not a cream) because rubbing your twists will increase frizz. and when you apply the oils after (if you do), pat it into the twists (no rubbing), and if you use a butter, you can rub that on your ends.

if you wash while in twists, always use a non sulfate shampoo and concentrate the shampoo on your scalp only.  don't rub any down the length of your twists.  and when you condition, just go downward to apply it (don't rub back and forth).

these tips help me reduce frizz.  sometimes i use creamy moisturizers, but that is usually when i know i will wear my twists in buns so i don't care about frizz.

your twists will still get some frizz (a little is inevitable), but significantly less than if you rubbed in your moisturizer and use sulfate shampoos on your twists. HTH!
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 5:06pm
I rock mini twists!
Now that I found a proper reggie, my hair is growing.

I twist my hair on the weekend and leave it in for 2 weeks.  So I wash my hair every two weeks.  In the morning, I spray the ends of my hair with diluted Shea Moisture Shine and Hold Mist.  Then I apply a heavy cream.  Then I seal with EVOO.  After than I do a roll tuck and pin so I won't have my hair rubbing against my collar or forehead/face.

I use bentonite clay once a month.
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 2:40pm
My hair locks after 1 weekOuch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 4:22pm
^^^how often do you moisturize with a water based moisturizer and spritz plain water on the twists during the two weeks?

Edited by Heavy Rotation - Dec 05 2012 at 4:22pm
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:07am

^^^how often do you moisturize with a water based moisturizer and spritz plain water on the twists during the two weeks?
every day lol
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 11:19am
bump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 8:08pm
ahhh ok. that sucks that despite the constant watering, your hair still locks!  although, it's great if you want to start locs one day. :-)

in mini twist related news, i discovered a great spritz!  you guys, it is a mix of water, jbco, lavender, rosemary, and xanthan gum (to keep everything together).  i have tried this spritz before (without the gum), but the proportions were not perfect (either too little/much oil) so my hair always felt either dry after one day or the spritz was too oil heavy to really come out of the spray bottle and i had to rub it on like a cream. i finally stopped using it and went back to my store bought water-based spritzes!  well, not anymore!  i finally got the proportions on point and my hair is feeling great!! :-D  #winning!
sakinadee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakinadee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:47am
This is great info.....I have started to do twists on my daughters hair...but i dont leave them in that long...meaning long enough to wash their hair while its twisted. I definitely will try this the next go round thanks ladies
RedAdmiral101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedAdmiral101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 9:10am

Tricks that help me with this regimen;

-I do not wash,co wash or even spritz my twists. The only time they are spritzed is on the weeks I am curling them using flexi rods, & even then its only enough to set the style
-I twist with a butter I make,the recipe is in this post. Its oil based,but with just enough conditioner to keep them moist thru the Weeks. And no silicones in the butter to prevent excess buildup & dryness
-I try to handle my hair as little as possible so it wont fuzz sooner then it should
-my basic washing regimen consists of going back & forth between water & soap washing,but while wearing small twists (especially back to back) I stick with soap washing

Week 1-usually worn straight (no curling with rods etc) down styles,buns,handle twists as little as possible to prevent premature "fuzzing".

Week 2 & 3-At the beginning of the week curl twists with flexi rods,wear them curly for the remainder of the week,curly buns,down styles,etc. If scalp is still reasonably clean continue to the next week,if not start the takedown process

Week 4-Gently undo each twist for a curly twist out,handle hair as gently as possible during this week for this is now loose hair & you dont want any early matting or excess frizz. Hair should be easy to manage,since its "clumped" is sections from the twists.

"The Takedown"
Week 5/day 1-Go thru each clumped section,finger detangling getting rid of any sheddies,tangles & knots. Start this early in the day giving yourself at least 6-8 hours to complete,if youre not able to complete,feel free to finish the next day (Week 5/day 2).

Week 5/day 2-Start this early in the day as well allowing up to 4 hours to complete the wash regimen. Section,pre poo,wash & deep condition. Seal moisture in using as little product as possible & braid (about 10) after deep conditioning to start stretching the hair

Week 5/day 3-At this point you can either
(A) multiply your current braids by making 20,& wearing them untill the day you decide to retwist (about 4 days) thus stretching the hair even further or
(B) remove each one & use a blowdryer to stretch & start twisting that day,or the next starting the routine all over over again at Week 1. But know that by blowdrying,your twists might not stay as moisturized throughout the Weeks as it would if you had not.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>