Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Two strand twist regimens?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
melody4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melody4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2011 at 8:09am
Did you do your twist on blowed dried hair?? I noticed that If i do my twist after my "fro" is completed air dried and then twist...they come out MUCH fuller. So I just took my twist down and my hair didnt pop back. Could it be because it was in a stretched state for sooo long :(
Sponsored Links

tdenmil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdenmil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2011 at 8:13am
I don't have a specific day to do my hair.  Whenever the twists get too frizzy I take them down and wash, band til dry, then retwist.

One thing I found is my twists last longer when I twist when my hair is dry.  Wet twists dont hold as well for me and they shrink more.

I take down, wash with Terressentials mud wash, hot oil treatment, rinse, and band it up until it dries all the way, which is usually the next day.

Then I part horizontally and just grab and twist.  I put a lil shea butter mix then follow with a little flax seed gel.  I try not to be heavy with the stuff so my hair doesnt curl back up.  I can get about 2 1/2 weeks out of that. I could probably go longer, but it kills me not to wash my hair.
ZeeLohan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZeeLohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2011 at 8:38am
Im planning on wearing my hair in two strand twists for the rest of the summer. This extreme heat and styling my hair everyday got tired really quick so hopefully I can retain some length and improve the health of my hair. I will be using tips from everyone who posted their regimen so TIA!
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 8:30pm
hi, i know i'm like a year late, but i just googled this topic and surprise surprise, bhm came up! which got me so excited because i'm doing an all out twist regimen too. hopefully my regimen can help someone here out. so here goes! Wink

currently my hair's APL full and stretched. nonstretched it's a little past my shoulders, so i don't really have a lotta shrinkage. my goal length coming up is BSL, then MBL, which i'm hoping to reach twelve months hence. Ultimately I'm trying to reach WL in the next 20 to 24 months. And the intention is for me to use minitwists to get me there.

I should be BSL anywhere from between the next four to eight months. Last time i was APL it took me about 5 months to get to solid BSL. I had to cut my hair back to APL because of constantly recurring split ends. it was a 3 inch butch job lol, one that i'd like to not have to repeat, which is why i made the decision to create for myself a comprehensive, thorough minitwist regimen. All it takes is discipline to see it through. Angry

The hardest part of my regimen is the first 5 weeks of the minitwists. I'm currently in the first week. Dead. The reason it's the hardest is because i don't wash my hair for the first five weeks, which for me is a HUGE stretch because normally i wash my hair once every 4-5 days. I might mist my scalp with water, but since my texture is loose, water causes any style i have to unravel, which is why i go for a month without touching it now that the twists are in. In the meantime, i keep my hair in protective styles as much as i can. Butterfly clips, mainly. And i make sure to moisturize my ends, of course, as needed. I also redo any twists that have unraveled on a weekly basis. 

5 wks in (whew! :) and at this point i deep condition. I'm about to start using Mane and Tail because my damaged hair needs protein. Cry I will undo just one section (probably a fifth of my hair) and though I'll rinse my entire hair in water, no shampoo, the whole of my head will get steamed with conditioner too, but the section that i undo i'll leave out because when my hair dries in fat twists, I'll go back over that section and search and destroy to remove any split ends. Because I'm no longer combing my hair (breaks my hair off) I'm not targeting SSKs, as they only cause problems when i comb them. So all splits removed, I'll then proceed to minitwist my hair anew, to freshen up my look. But again, not doing my whole head because i want as little manipulation as possble, and i tend to get more frustrated with my hair when i don't attack in sections!
I use a locking gel to twist, and usually some of my twists start unraveling after about a week. 
which is okay, because for each of the weeks that follow, I"m going to redo just one section at a time. By the time I get to the final section that needs to be redone (usually about four weeks after the last condition treatment) I'll deep condition again, and the cycle begins again. the next week picks up from there, and i basically keep my hair in a constant cycling of protective styles and mini twists Clap

each time i redo a section, i do search and destroy on just that section so that i can be thorough and not miss any splits. So the good thing about this regimen is it's wholistic and realistic, and you don't ever get tired of the twists because they're constantly in a continual state of evolution lol. 

so i hope this helps someone. Again, the hardest part of it is going that first month because you have to keep telling yourself to leave your hair alone, but after that it gets easy because you'll be redoing one fifth of your hair every single week that follows from that point on. (which satisfies our craving for HIH syndrome lol hopefully!) and again, you'll not comb it and you won't be shampooing it. So you don't get breakage and you won't get dryness. It's a total win. 

I take the twists out altogether once my hair is at my first goal length, of BSL. Then i may post a youtube video up of my regimen and progress, so it'll make a little more sense. Tongue
debeauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debeauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 2:32pm
Glad I found this thread. I have been wearing minni-twists since June 2012 and I am still rocking them. I originally got them professionally done in June and again a month after because I wanted to add color. Then I realized that I can do them myself.

What I do is wash my twists, conditon them and redo them one by one (take one down and put it right back in). Instead of retwisting from the root, I braid from the root to maintain length retention and longevity because twisting at the root usually dissolves quicker.
I have color my hair in twists, done protein treatments and my hair is looking better than ever. I sometimes baggy them at night, I usually braid my twists together to retain more length and give them a crinkly formation when I unbraid them.

I use my twists as a base for every style that I do.
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 3:24pm
i soo have to update this!

i keep my twists in for 4 weeks now, minimum.  they take about 9 hours to put in.

i wash weekly and realize that the reason i was getting so much frizz was because i was rubbing the shampoo onto my twists (big no-no).  i also redo the perimeter weekly (after the first two weeks).  i moisturize every other day with darcy's leave in and jbco.  my hair feels awesome.

i am in twists from about september to may...and i do them throughout the summer, but bigger and keep them in for about 2 weeks at a time.

Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

hi there!

i wear mini twists 99% of the time.  i love them!  i keep my twists for about 2 weeks now because they take about 6 hrs to put in.  i usually wash in my twists, but i do experience dryness after the wash, even when i condition.  i also get frizz (which is why i used to take them out each week before my wash).  so, i am working on a technique that will eliminate the dryness and greatly reduce the frizz.  currently, my twists have been in for almost two weeks and i have not washed since the first week, and they look great.  i have been spritzing with water and moisturizing daily so my twists feel soft and fluffy.  i will definitely wash them at the 2 week mark, which to me is a long time to go without washing my hair. 

i dc every other week with or without the twists.  after my wash, i do not have to moisturize for about 4 days after, but on the fourth day, i spritz with water and add my leave in and oils daily until i wash again.  i wash weekly.  i do not cowash.  i twist with darcy's botanicals avocado and honey twisting cream.  this cream will change your life...i always say that.  i have tried tons of twisting creams and darcy's is by far the best.  my hair comes out feeling like a cloud. :-)

i part my hair with a comb horizontally, but within that section, i just pull the hair vertically and twist.  this has been the best method for me.  i can do updo's, half up/down styles, etc. and not have to worry about parts looking crazy....i also make a center and a side part in the front so that i have the option to switch it up if i like.

you should pop into the challenge that we have going on in the twists section.  it's over at the end of the month, but we are starting another one in august. be sure to join that one!  :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 3:29pm
oh, and i twist on stretched hair - freshly washed hair that i stretch with plaits.
Brown$kin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brown$kin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 6:40pm
This is good info! Wen first started twistn  loved it but as my hair is still short, getting bored of looking like a  12 year old! . I twistwith with twist n lock gel and beeswax. Mois every 4-5 days. I twist and keep em in for 2-3 weeks then wash n deep con and redo. recently started gettn ssks! which is very annoying! but its a good low manipluation style, but jst dnt like the shrinkage get
 after week two, my hair is quite fidfne so it can look funny after a while.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 7:10pm
^^^how is the beeswax treating you?  is there any build up?
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 7:38pm
i cut my hair everyone. it's now neck length so i plan to keep on twisting my hair til my hair gets back to the length it was in may. here is my twist set now. i did this on wet hair, no product. i'm on day three, planning on leaving it in til next saturday. they haven't really been unraveling, since i made sure my hair was wet when i started. can't wait to see how they hold up. 
i'm gonna try to be consistent with a twist regimen. i'm one accustomed to frequent hair washings, so i've slowlly and surely but surely increasing the length of time between washes. i'm now at 4-5 days. going 2 wks would be a huge stretch for me but the less the manipulation the better! 
my hair was doing good til i decided to flat iron it, hence the impetus for cutting. le sigh. 
i like the twists, though. didn't think i'd try them again, given that i blamed them for my setback in july that resulted in a 4 inch cut. but this time around i figured out where i went wrong- i kept rubbing my itchy crown section, which matted up my roots. i just won't do that this time. plus last time i tried to wash my hair in twists, which was a huge no-no. won't be doing that again either. basically if i just keep my hands out of my hair i think they should last a full 2 weeks, Lord willin. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic