Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Two strand twist regimens?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
shortnsweet08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shortnsweet08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two strand twist regimens?
    Posted: Jun 15 2011 at 8:23pm
I was going to post this in the "twists" section, but it looks as if that section mainly has posts about twists with extensions. I've recently been wearing my hair in two strand twists- my hair only, no extensions- and have decided that I'm going to start wearing them much more often/almost all the time in order to simplify things and decrease manipulation. For those of you who usually wear your hair in twists, what exactly do you do each day and each week? How often do you wash? How often do you DC? Do you cowash? Do you use gel or a product specifically designed for twists? How do you part the hair (if you part it). I'm just starting to figure out how to take care of my hair while in twists, so any suggestions/info would be helpful.
Sponsored Links

WarriorGurl23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriorGurl23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2011 at 9:45pm
Oh wow I was just wondering this same thing! I was going to try to build a regimen of wearing small twists (my own hair) as a hair style because this nightly retwisting/rebraiding for twistouts/braidouts isn't cutting it!! I'm trying to retain length! Hopefully someone will chime in! LOL
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2011 at 10:36pm
hi there!

i wear mini twists 99% of the time.  i love them!  i keep my twists for about 2 weeks now because they take about 6 hrs to put in.  i usually wash in my twists, but i do experience dryness after the wash, even when i condition.  i also get frizz (which is why i used to take them out each week before my wash).  so, i am working on a technique that will eliminate the dryness and greatly reduce the frizz.  currently, my twists have been in for almost two weeks and i have not washed since the first week, and they look great.  i have been spritzing with water and moisturizing daily so my twists feel soft and fluffy.  i will definitely wash them at the 2 week mark, which to me is a long time to go without washing my hair. 

i dc every other week with or without the twists.  after my wash, i do not have to moisturize for about 4 days after, but on the fourth day, i spritz with water and add my leave in and oils daily until i wash again.  i wash weekly.  i do not cowash.  i twist with darcy's botanicals avocado and honey twisting cream.  this cream will change your life...i always say that.  i have tried tons of twisting creams and darcy's is by far the best.  my hair comes out feeling like a cloud. :-)

i part my hair with a comb horizontally, but within that section, i just pull the hair vertically and twist.  this has been the best method for me.  i can do updo's, half up/down styles, etc. and not have to worry about parts looking crazy....i also make a center and a side part in the front so that i have the option to switch it up if i like.

you should pop into the challenge that we have going on in the twists section.  it's over at the end of the month, but we are starting another one in august. be sure to join that one!  :-)
shortnsweet08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortnsweet08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2011 at 10:35pm
Thanks Heavy Rotation. I was actually hoping you'd come in, cause I know you twist and are part of the twist challenge Smile. This is exactly the kind of detail I need. I need to develop a regimen that not only keeps my hair in good condition, but actually keeps my hair looking good. I've had my twists in for about 2 weeks now and they've just about had it (unraveling, frizz), so I'm taking them down and redoing them tomorrow. I used a mixture of shea butter and glycerin to put them in last time, but I dont think it gave me the hold I need, and anyway, my technique still needs work.  I havent washed them since I put them in, but I dont think I'm comfortable not washing and deep conditioning every week, so I'm going to starting doing that again while in twists.

Darcy's looks great! I cant believe I've never looked into this product line. They have a lot of my favorite ingredients. I'll def be buying the twist cream and I may buy the DC as well cause I've been researching new DC's.
I'll be sure to join the next twist challenge. I can't wait to see what twists will do for my hair (I'm also looking forward to the time and energy I'll save every day and every week).
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2011 at 11:38pm
^^^^yeah, washing in twists is great b/c you save so much time...it's just that after i wash in them, i have to spritz with water and moisturize every day until my next weekly wash - they definitely don't feel like how my loose hair feels after a wash, and i don't know why.  i am going to try this weekend when i wash my hair to make them bigger (so twist in about 3 hours) so that it won't hurt so bad to take them out at the 1 week mark. lol

darcy's rocks.  i tried a bunch of products from the line and some are okay and others are amazing.  i did not think that the dc was amazing.  i thought it was okay, but let me know what you think of it. 
newfoundjourney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newfoundjourney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2011 at 7:47am
When I was between EL and SL my regime was to wash, deep condition and twist on Tuesday Than I use a mixture of coconut oil and water as my spritz to moisturize as needed and on friday or Saturday I'll untwist and wear a twist out for the weekend......

now that my hair is longer, I make my twist smaller and wear them longer I don't like to go too long without feeling water on my scalp so I usually don't go past two-three weeks without taking my hair out and washing and deep conditioning and retwisting, now I spritz as need with just water

But for the last few months I feel like I've been stuck at CBL(I have been kinda rough on my hair though)  so I think ima change my regime and add oil rinses before washing and being more diligent about only going two weeks with out deep conditioning

also I use coconut oil to take down my twist anything else is to heavy for my hair
HeFFaLUmP~cUtiE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeFFaLUmP~cUtiE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2011 at 2:11pm
I've been doing twists for a couple of months now lol...I just love the look on me! It varies from small twists (not mini) and big twists. I usually wear them from a week to two weeks. I try to wash once a week and DC once a week too. i'm starting to oil rinse because I notice that I get lots of ssks when I twist Cry
I'm about to make a twist butter because my hair doesn't like gels unfortunately and I'm tired of my hair unraveling...
africanqueen456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanqueen456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2011 at 11:13am
Originally posted by WarriorGurl23 WarriorGurl23 wrote:

Oh wow I was just wondering this same thing! I was going to try to build a regimen of wearing small twists (my own hair) as a hair style because this nightly retwisting/rebraiding for twistouts/braidouts isn't cutting it!! I'm trying to retain length! Hopefully someone will chime in!
I get third day hair without retwisting. I just follow westndnbeauty's moethod or chime's method on youtube. I sleep with a bonnet just retwisting places that need to be fixed or I sleep with sating scarf then a cap.

With my semi mini twist, I moisturize daily and d.c. weekly. I put in my first set last weekEmbarrassed. They are time consuming.
Swift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2011 at 12:24pm
*jealous of all the ladies who can rock twists without them unraveling*Cry
melody4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melody4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2011 at 1:37pm
SOOOOOOOO glad someone started a post about this! I have been wearing my natural mini twists for about a month now. I do them over every 2-3 weeks. I've done them both on blowed dried and wet hair and I dont notice too much of a difference. Here is my regie:

1) Wash hair with trader joe's tea trea shampoo (love this stuff for now lol)
2) Condition with trader joe's tea conditioner to detangle
3) I use Giovanni direct leave in and apply a little olive oil
4) I put my hair in about 4 to 5 plaits and let hair stretch and dry a little over night
5) In the morning while hair is still damp I start twisting the hair. I don't use gel I find that shea better works the best. When I finish twisting, I spritz with my water and aloe vera juice mixture then apply more leave in so my ends will curl up.

Maintainence
After trial and error I've finally found something that works for me!
1)In the morning I lightly spritz with water and then apply either my flaxseed gel mixture or leave in conditioner depending on how I'm going to style
2) At night I spritz with water and use a little flaxseed gel and put my mini twist into about 6 large braids. In the morning this creates a really nice wavy style. I normally start to do this when my twists are looking a little old. This really spruces them up. If I am not doing the braids at night then I do the wrapping method inspired from Naptural85. This helps stretch the twist and elongate the curl pattern. I will try to post some pics.
3) I will sometime redo the edges to freshen up. I've only washed my hair once with twist also using Naptural85's method using the stocking cap. It was OK but I noticed that a lot of m twist unraveled in the middle so not sure if I will be doing this again.

I'm not really good about washing my twists. Anyone have any good tips or methods for that? Hope this helps
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>