Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Turned down for a job bcos of his African name

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turned down for a job bcos of his African name
    Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:38am
Shame on you Virgin Atlantic. 

Weall know it happens but something needs to be done about it. We don't all desire to have Anglo-Saxon names. I sure don't. I love my African name. 

Virgin Atlantic accused of rejecting graduate job applicant because of his African name after they offered him an interview when he applied as 'Craig Owen'

• Max Kpakio was turned down for job at Virgin call centre in Swansea
  • But received enthusiastic response when he re-applied using British name
Fury: Max Kpakio claims he was turned down for a job with Virgin Atlantic because of his name

Fury: Max Kpakio claims he was turned down for a job with Virgin Atlantic because of his name

Virgin Atlantic was today accused of racism after allegedly rejecting a job application from an African refugee, but accepting him when he applied with a British name.

Max Kpakio was turned down for a call centre job - and when he suspected his foreign-sounding name was at fault, he re-submitted his application under the name Craig Owen.

He claims the enthusiastic response the second application received proves that his initial rejection was based solely on racial discrimination, and is taking the airline to an employment tribunal.

The 36-year-old graduate was born in Liberia, but has lived in the UK for the past 10 years and is now a British citizen.

When his application to work at a Virgin call centre in Swansea was rejected, he was convinced it was due to his African name.

Not only was he invited for interview when he applied as Craig Owen, but the company repeatedly contacted him encouraging his application - even though it was nothing more than a simplified version of his genuine CV.

After he failed to respond to their initial email, they sent a string of messages saying how much they were looking forward to meeting him.

Application: Mr Kpakio hoped to get a job at the Virgin call centre based in this building in Swansea

Application: Mr Kpakio hoped to get a job at the Virgin call centre based in this building in Swansea

'There was an enormous difference in the way I was treated when I used a British name,' Mr Kpakio said.

'When I was first sent a rejection, I couldn't understand it - I thought I had provided a very good CV.

'I'd offered advice to clients over the telephone before, so I believed I was a very good candidate for the job.

'It occurred to me that my ethnic origin may have something to do with the rejection. I then decided to make a further application to Virgin, using the name Craig Owen.

'They were in touch with me seven or eight times, and kept coming back to me when I didn't respond.'

Refugee: The 36-year-old left his native Liberia to escape the civil war and graduated from Swansea University

Refugee: The 36-year-old left his native Liberia to escape the civil war and graduated from Swansea University

Mr Kpakio moved to Swansea with his three children in 2002, to escape the civil war which was tearing his home country apart.

He earned a degree in International Relations from Swansea University.

His case for alleged racial discrimination against Virgin, which was founded by flamboyant tycoon Richard Branson, is due to be heard by an employment tribunal in April.

A spokeswoman for Virgin Atlantic said: 'We are an equal opportunities employer.

'We pride ourselves on providing opportunities to talented people regardless of their race, sex, age or other characteristic.

Lawsuit: Virgin Atlantic, founded by Richard Branson, pictured, denies racial discrimination

Lawsuit: Virgin Atlantic, founded by Richard Branson, pictured, denies racial discrimination

'We take allegations of discrimination extremely seriously.

'And whilst we do not comment on individual cases, we strongly deny any of our recruitment decisions or practices are discriminatory in any way.'

Research done over the past few years have suggested that job applicants with foreign-sounding names face obstacles to being hired in many lines of work.

A number of studies in which researchers have submitted identical CVs under two sets of name, British and non-British, have shown that the former are significantly more likely to receive a positive response from employers.

Sponsored Links

Jess View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:44am
    Smdh. I've experienced this before. I have a name like Ashley Smith. When they saw that I look like my name should be Shaneequa' Jackson-Jones, they were acting like those good grades couldn't have come from me
    BlackstarBlue View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackstarBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:44am
    Even a parliamentary report said so (this is in regards to women)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20608039

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/07/ethnic-minority-women-jobs-crisis

There was a great radio phone-in, in December with women phoning in telling their stories. Its terrible. We all Know Rachel Philips or Richard Goodson is given an interview more than Rashida Kamara or Kofi Frimpong . Its undeniable
    Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:45am
    "we strongly deny any of our recruitment decisions or practices are discriminatory in any way."

Sure you do...
    Lonisha87 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:47am
    This is true and happens all the time...
    ms_wonderland View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:49am
    Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

if your name is indian or asian you are straight

If I get an Indian on the line, I hang up. I am too through with Indian call centers. Your name is not Betty and you are not helpful either.
    nala52808 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nala52808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 11:44am
    My dad had to go by a different name when he came here in 1983 because he wasn't getting any jobs. It confused me when I was little, but now I know that certain employers are prejudice like that. I feel bad for the guy.
    Tbaby View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 12:01pm
     I'm glad he's making this public.  But we all knew the real deal...

So what happens at this employment tribunal?  Do they have the power to fine the company?

EPITOME View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 12:11pm
    Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

if your name is indian or asian you are straight

If I get an Indian on the line, I hang up. I am too through with Indian call centers. Your name is not Betty and you are not helpful either.

i tell them "I want to speak to someone in AMERICA!"
    zsazsa View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 12:34pm
    Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

I'm glad he's making this public.  But we all knew the real deal...

So what happens at this employment tribunal?  Do they have the power to fine the company?

If he wins, he is looking to get paid. 

Their statement was pitta. Not even 'we are so shocked and are going to look into this and retrain/sack'. Just lazy soundbite. 

These companies got minorities running around like headless chickens changing their names/ naming their kids bland watered down names just to get a call for an interview. Until they see brown. What then? 
    We get so much shiit thrown at us, I am surprised our collective anger hasn't finished this world yet. 
    Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
    Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
    Glam Twinz
    Weave Connection
    Little Black Scarf
    Human Hair Wigs
    Wefting Training
    Brazilian Hair
    Brazilian Hair
    Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
      Share Topic