Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2007 at 1:38am
you guys are harshUnhappy

that girls been through a lot:

Testimony: Sekyiwa "Set" Shakur

As Told to Tanisha Blakely, AOL Black Voices,
Posted: 2006-08-30 15:19:00

Tupac's Sister Tells Her Story

Set%20ShakurSet%20ShakurJamie McCarthy, WireImage.com

When I was growing up my mother [Afeni Shakur] was going through depression. Her brain was cut off at a certain point, when I needed it. Her fighting times were when Tupac [Shakur] was being developed, between his birth and 13. All this stuff happened between Assata Shakur being broken out [of jail].

My father [Mutulu Shakur] is in jail for breaking Assata Shakur out of prison. This happened when I was 5.

"I'm bipolar. I battle with depression and suicide on a daily."

I've been hospitalized twice. After I left the hospital, I went through intensive therapy for three years, going to the therapist three times a week. I moved to Sausalito, California, where there was nothing but high class white people. They didn't even know who Tupac was. I really needed to separate myself from the black community and it was almost like I was in refuge there. I was able to build my spirit back.

When we moved back to Atlanta, where my family was, is when I was able to put all of my tools in play. So, just coming back home around black people, coming back to society and seeing the difference from how I was, before I went to the hospital, and how I am now and how I walk in my own faith and my own spirit. I'm not Afeni's daughter, or Tupac's sister, or Mutulu's daughter, I'm my own being and I'm powerful.

"Your opinion of me is none of my business."

I deal with a lot of shame. Just growing up the way that I grew up, hiding from the FBI, living in poverty, just being dark-skinned with short hair. You live with a lot of shame. You build up a wall that tells you that you're bad. So, that phrase, 'Your opinion of me is none of my business,' really has gotten me through a lot of daily garbage.

tupac%20shakur

"My mother said that Tupac was her soul mate."

I've always been the shadow in the corner. I'm actually the heart in my family. My mother is the backbone. 'Pac is the catalyst. I'm the heart. I'm what keeps us together.

My mom never taught me how to cook. She taught my brother how to cook, and I happened to be in the room when she did it. She never taught me about being a woman. She taught Jada [Pinkett]. She was telling Jada, when they were in high school, I just happen to be in the room listening to that.

Pretend. You've seen "The Cosby Show."

When my mom was using drugs I was in sixth grade. I went to school everyday. My mother wasn't home. My brother wasn't home for like months at a time. I still went to school everyday. So you can create the type of life that you want.

You know a lot of men be like, 'I don't know what it is, and I can't take care of my son. I never had a father." Make pretend, you've seen "The Cosby Show."

I don't need to beat myself up for what happened between my childhood to 18. Whatever happened to me, somebody should have been taking care of me, instead of me taking care of myself. I deserve to allow myself to believe in that, so I don't have to beat myself for it. From 18 up, it's my responsibility and I have the right and choice to decide to be what I want my life to be.

Tell Us!

< title="Tell Us!" ="http://webcenter.polls.aol.com/poll?view=87726&pollId=87809&channel=aol_us_blackfocus" Border=0 width=154 height=375>

"Tupac really worked to take care of his family."

'Pac died at 25, and before him my mom was on welfare and I was on welfare and my uncle, the only man in the family, worked four shifts, and our grandparents were sharecroppers. We just come from poverty. With that, I struggle with my clothing line [Madamveli]. I want to be able to take over that for him.

I want [Tupac] to be able to retire. He's been dead for 10 years and he's still working.

Her Testimony

I want to thank God that I'm here and that I don't have the want or the need to want to kill myself. Everyday I used to wake up wanting to die and thinking that that's an option. Today I know that that's not an option for me.

Madamveli Clothing

In November 2006, Set Shakur will release her own clothing line, Madamveli. She says, Now that Ive gotten older, Im no longer [Pacs] little sister. I need to make a contribution to my family. Having dyslexia and not going to the best high school in the world, I had to pull from my creativity. Fashion and beauty has always helped me pull myself through. Learn More

Sponsored Links

sgezine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2007 at 2:12am
              --

Edited by sgezine - Jan 16 2008 at 1:19pm
              Dehinds View Drop Down
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2007 at 6:45am
              The mother probably resented her. 
              QueenBee View Drop Down
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2007 at 8:28am
              Wesley Snipes in Too Wong Foo--Thanks for Everything. 
              Make it Work! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2007 at 7:51pm
              Originally posted by *short~n~nappy *short~n~nappy wrote:

either way, ya'll we wrong for doggin that girl like that...yeah, she could use some tips, maybe spend some time on bhm. but who are we to alk sh*t cuz she doesnt look how we think 2pac's sister should look?

but for real, i hope she's confident in her own skin cuz we cant all look like beyonce or gabrielle nd nem. smh. im ashamed for laughing, at all these comments cuz this girl aint do nuttin to derserve bein critisized like that. smh.
              true true
              FUNKY BREATH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2007 at 7:58pm
              she looks like a man or a tranny!
              bright1 View Drop Down
              VIP Member
              VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2007 at 8:00pm
              Originally posted by MaryJane MaryJane wrote:

Originally posted by sashaone2005 sashaone2005 wrote:

she sho iz ugleeeeee
              LMAO @ SHUG AVERY LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLCryCryCryCryCryCryDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

yall aint right LOLLOLLOLDeadDead lol!
              Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
              House of CB London
              Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
              The Elite Hair Care Sorority
              Electric Cherry Hair
              Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
              Human Hair Wigs
              Wefting Training
              Dependable Quality Hair
              Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
               Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567