Perfect Hair Collection

Tufts University Kicked Out Student After Rape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tufts University Kicked Out Student After Rape
    Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 4:55am
http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/06/campus_rape_tufts_university_kicked_out_student_after_assault.html?wpisrc=topstories

Top University Kicked Out Student After She Was Raped

After Wagatwe Wanjuki was assaulted, she was asked to leave Tufts University.

Posted: 

1116068_10100177923821048_1617411995_o

Wagatwe Wanjuki

COURTESY OF WAGATWE WANJUKI/MOREA STEINHAUER

Wagatwe Wanjuki was sexually assaulted by another student while attending Tufts University. But instead of punishing her attacker, the school asked her to leave.

Wanjuki, 27, is the woman behind the widely trending Twitter hashtag#SurvivorPrivilege.

According to the Huffington Post, Wanjuki took to Twitter shortly after the June 6 publication of George Will's Washington Post editorial in which he decried the Obama administration's focus on campus sexual assault and suggested that being a survivor of sexual assault has become "coveted status that confers privileges."

Annoyed by Will's disregard for the reality of sexual assault survivors, Wanjuki responded with these tweets:

"It was mind-boggling that someone would think there's anything to gain by coming forward as a survivor," Wanjuki told HuffPost.

Wanjuki first came forward about her assault in 2009. In 2008, she says, she was repeatedly assaulted by a fellow student she was in a relationship with. When she tried to report him to the administration, Tufts responded by telling her that their legal counsel said they didn't have to take action. This occurred before the U.S. Department of Education made it clear (pdf) that universities are obligated under Title IX to respond to reported sexual violence.

Wanjuki became an outspoken advocate for survivors of sexual assault and worked with organizations such as Students Active for Ending Rape to push for reforms. During that time, her grades began to slip, though they were not low enough for her to be put on academic probation. Wanjuki believes that her grades were negatively affected by her assault and the lack of support she received from the Tufts administration.

HuffPost reports, “In summer 2009, the Dean of Undergraduate Education at Tufts, who Wanjuki said happened to be her assailant's academic adviser, told Wanjuki she would have to withdraw from the university due to academic concerns. At the time, she was less than a year from graduating.”

Tufts did not respond to HuffPost's inquiries about Wanjuki's case.

Read more at the Huffington Post.

Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 5:36am
Did she go to the police?
Cause I mean...
juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 7:09am
A lot of people don't report it to the police,  especially if they feel that it would be hard to prove, or a he - said - she - said situation. 
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 8:26am
I have so much to say about this girl. But I'm not gonna.

Don't believe everything you read.
K_Camille View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 8:46am
I have questions..but nah.
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 8:47am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

oh?Shocked

... lol but you can't do that maysay..come back in here please and clarify
Majesty02 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majesty02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 8:48am

"In 2008, she says, she was repeatedly assaulted by a fellow student she was in a relationship with."

I don’t mean to sound insensitive, but why would she continue to be in a relationship with someone that repeatedly assaults her???  Sorry but I'm side eyeing this entire situation. IDK its something about this girl's face that seems very annoying, and sneaky. Its looks like she's smirking.  Telling her story as a victim you'd think she have a more serious look on her face.  Sounds like someone is crying out for attention, or trying to get some lawsuit money.  Sleepy

Edited by Majesty02 - Jun 19 2014 at 9:11am
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 8:59am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

oh?Shocked

... lol but you can't do that maysay..come back in here please and clarify

You know how when you have personal issues with someone everything you say can be viewed as disparaging? Yeah.

I will say this. I am not a rape apologist. 99 of 100 times I automatically side with rape victims and I don't care how anybody feels about it.

But...but...BUT...in this particular case...no.
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 12:45pm
Had to be more reason for her to be expelled. Universities are smarter than that. Expelling her for grades when her grades were higher than to be on academic probation? Nahhh...that's a million dollar lawsuit on their hands. Had to be more than that.

Not saying she didn't get enough support, or that she wasn't assaulted. But there's obviously more to the story.
kerysdream7 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerysdream7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 12:48pm
Seems like there is more to this story...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic