Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

True or False? Racism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:47pm
True. But it depends on your definition of affect.

To me, racism affects people of color negatively but affects white people positively because they benefit from it and don't experience the oppressing effects of racism.

But it's so difficult to state an opinion like that because people automatically equate racism to discrimination and prejudice so when white people hear that they don't experience racism, they think you're trying to say they have never experienced someone being mean because they're white.

Racism is not being mean and hurting feelings. It's far more powerful and insidious than that.

Edited by Midna - Jan 13 2013 at 3:48pm
Sponsored Links

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Positive K Positive K wrote:

Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Yes it affects everyone....some in a beneficial way and some in an detrimental way. Just like any other form of discrimination.

Not sure what other answer ur looking for here...

and not all white people benefit from racism...some of them getting played just as much

How so? Being white affords more sympathy and leniency on its own.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:52pm
I be havin' so much intelligent sh*t to say in my mind, but I'm too lazy to type it all.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I be havin' so much intelligent sh*t to say in my mind, but I'm too lazy to type it all.

i believe you
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 4:07pm

did you mean to ask if racism affects all black people 

(a la the british man that thought his white fiancee and three piece suit would make him better than the other blacks and thus immune to racism?)

ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 5:57pm
I mean are there people in this world, or in this country, who get to live oblivious to racism in any way, shape or fashion?  Are there people who it affects so little that they don't even really understand what it is? Are there people of any race who neither negatively or positively affected by racism?  

I was in a conversation with some classmates where I did very little talking but they felt (like they always do) the need to talk race and the stuff coming out of their mouths was so incredibly ignorant I was stunned.  They said everything from, "Not to sound racist but..." to "if we don't talk about this country's racist past, history could repeat itself."  

So I was discussing with some family members whether or not racism affects every one.  Moms says affects means influences and hell yes.  Husband says that everyone is either racist or negatively effected by racism.  I don't know what I say.  Especially when I hear black folks talking about picking yourself up by your bootstraps and not using racism as an excuse not to succeed.  

In all honestly sometimes on here I hear things about certain blacks with no consideration to the role that systemic oppression/racism has played in their journey or how deep a pit they would have to climb out of to reach what some would call successful.  It makes me wonder if some blacks even get lucky and start out on the same level of the totem pole as some whites and therefore not being affected by racism.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 6:19pm
maybe not racism...but discrimination.
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 10:59pm
I believe that it does, particularly in multiracial nations such as the US and the UK.  

Ellen Pence, a white feminist wrote an article called "Racism--A White Issue." I think that it illustrates how racism affects all people in multiracial, multicultural nations. 

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 12:01am
NO not the same... there are people that dont even think about it... for one some people have the privlage of not thinking about it...
and then there are others who are so brainwashed that they deny that its affecting them If white people dont talk about it then if doesnt exist! No cultural idenity ... I will come back later I have to go to sleep now... Gotta go work for the Man in the morning lol
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic