Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Nayeli View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trimming before getting Braids
    Posted: Apr 18 2008 at 5:19pm
Ok, so I just realized that BHM has a section devoted to braids - guess I've been stuck in the hair growth section too long. Anyway, braids are a part of my summer hair plan, but I am in need of a trim - not in DIRE need, but my ends are starting to look more ratty than I would like. I plan on braiding in the first week of June. Should I get a relaxer and trim a few weeks before I braid, or should I braid (keep them in for 2 1/2 months) then relax and trim? Which would serve my hair better?
Sponsored Links

extendedbeauty1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2008 at 4:46pm
Well if you need a trim now I say get the trim. It may not be bad now but might get there if you wait. I see no harm in getting a relaxer a few weeks before getting braids. I think you'll be just fine.Thumbs%20Up
Jr1127 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2008 at 9:25pm
What if you are natural? Should you or do you need to have a trim if gone to wear braids for a long time?
extendedbeauty1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2008 at 12:34pm

Jr1127, if you have split ends and are going to wear braids for a long time I think you will need a trim. But if your hair is just healthy I see no need to get a trim. I just put in braids and I'm all natural. I didn't get a trim before putting them in but I'm about to start over anyway after I take out because I hadn't been taking care of my hair while in braids so it's quite damaged.

sydsmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2008 at 2:51pm
I don't trim first. I have seen people with badly damaged hair get braids and the broken ends literally break off in the braids while they have them. As long as your hair is healthy it should be fine. I wore braids for over a year and my few inches of permed hair actually broke off while I braided them. I had done a semi-big chop, but left about 3-4 inches to be grabbed and after 6 months, the perm parts (which were damaged) had broken off. Now that I am natural I don't think it matters. All of the hair is the same texture and health level. Are you wearing braids to transition?
Nayeli View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2008 at 12:55am
Thanks so much for the advice guys. sydsmom - no, I'm not transitioning. I'm here there and everywhere during the summer and I wanted a style that would decrease the amount of manipulation I do.
CandiiMamii26 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2008 at 1:01pm
i would say trim before, relax after- if you dont have significant ng your hair is easier to snap off.

twistysis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2008 at 9:41pm
Agreed...I've worn braids & kinky twists in natural hair off/on for about 10 years, I would advise to perm after the braids. The chemicals + braiding is more likely to break off hair. Also, occasionally too-permed hair may cause braids to slip depending on BSS hair quality (hasn't happened to me but to friends).
KayDee97 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2008 at 8:13am
I'm no braid expert, but I get them a couple times a year to help speed up my hair growth process.  I say trim after, b/c your hair is going to break while you're taking out the braids, while you're cobing through your hair, and while you're getting the perm!!!
V.I. Beauty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2008 at 9:24am

If you were planning to get your hair braided sooner I would definately say to trim after. B/C while you are in braids I doubt your splits would get worse. However you are getting braided in two months and if you style your hair daily I would advise a trim before.

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic