Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transitioning?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
MissDomo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MissDomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transitioning?
    Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 8:29pm
I don't understand why I'm losing SO much hair in everything I do. I do protein treatments but with every manipulation to my hair = mass hair loss. I feel like this is setting me back dramatically in my hair growth. I deep condition weekly and moisturize and everything too.

Washing my hair = huge hair loss
Roller setting my hair = huge hair loss (Mostly from combing my hair when it's wet)
Combing my hair in general = large amount of hair on comb/brush
Attempting and failing a twist out = huge hair loss (Mostly from parting the hair)
Running my fingers through my hair = strands falling out

Am I missing something? Is transitioning supposed to be this you know, sad, that my shower tub is like full of hair every week? What can I do to reduce all my hair falling out of my head :( ?

Sponsored Links

littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 9:42pm
you might just have a lot of damage. after a certain point damage becomes hard to conceal through products, which really is all products can do. i would advocate cutting it, but if you would rather not part ways so soon, then all i could suggest is aphogee. have you tried their pro treatment? 
MissDomo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissDomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 3:23pm
So my breakage isn't directly related to the fact I'm transitioning? And yes, I have their 2 step treatment which hasn't helped with the breakage one bit. Am I supposed to use it weekly or something because I just gave up with it after using it twice. :P
darkvalkyrie123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 7:47am
I have lots of breakage too due to me having so much new growth, however what I have found what works is for me to only comb/manipulate my hair once a week because it seems everytime that I did comb my hair in anyway, I lost a lot each time. Now, I lose hair only once a week which has cut down on breakage by a ton. This has helped me tremendously. The other very important thing is leaving on a decent conditioner for at least 15 mins or so to soften the newgrowth, so that the comb will basically glide through the hair. I hardly have breakage now, and most of the hair lost is shed hairs. The only downside is the lack of styling options during the week since I basically "style" it while its still wet and oozing with conditioner, then I keep it in that style for the rest of the week. Usually for me this means 2 pigtails, two buns, or a ponytail. This means no finger combing either. If the style gets a bit messy during the week, I just wet my hands or spritz my hair, then smooth back with my hands (no brush or comb!). Even though my hair is so delicate it has actually grown quite a bit doing this.

Edited by darkvalkyrie123 - Jan 09 2013 at 7:51am
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by MissDomo MissDomo wrote:

So my breakage isn't directly related to the fact I'm transitioning? And yes, I have their 2 step treatment which hasn't helped with the breakage one bit. Am I supposed to use it weekly or something because I just gave up with it after using it twice. :P
So you did the aphogee 2 step treatment and followed the instructions and your breakage did not reduce by at least 50% the first treatment? And you did the treatment twice? Let it harden on your hair strands by using heat? Okay, well let me ask you several questions? Was your hair relaxed bone straight before you started your transition? Does your hair get dry really quickly? Do you have to apply moisturizer everyday? Was your hair breaking off before you started transitioning? Do you have any health issues such as anemia or blood pressure issues that would affect your hair? How many inches of new growth do you have? You can inbox me if you like.......And the answer to your question about the 2-step treatment should you do them weekly? No that particular treatment should be done only once per 5 to 8 weeks.
MissDomo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissDomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 4:31pm
@darkvalkyrie123 
I might try this actually, because I wear my hair in a ponytail often anyway, but I feel like if I do this my hair will get tangled severely :/

@Veemack
My total bad. I meant to say the 2minute reconstructor lol. I haven't tried the 2 step treatment because of what I've heard some people say about it, and I don't really think I want to. Also I don't relax my own hair so I don't know what bone straight is, I haven't relaxed my hair in over 5 months, my salonist used to do it for me. I've always had breakage but I don't ever remember it being this bad that when I wash my hair the whole tub is full of hair :P. My hair is dry, and i moisturize daily. Not sure how much new growth I have.

Edited by MissDomo - Jan 09 2013 at 4:31pm
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by MissDomo MissDomo wrote:

@darkvalkyrie123 
I might try this actually, because I wear my hair in a ponytail often anyway, but I feel like if I do this my hair will get tangled severely :/

@Veemack
My total bad. I meant to say the 2minute reconstructor lol. I haven't tried the 2 step treatment because of what I've heard some people say about it, and I don't really think I want to. Also I don't relax my own hair so I don't know what bone straight is, I haven't relaxed my hair in over 5 months, my salonist used to do it for me. I've always had breakage but I don't ever remember it being this bad that when I wash my hair the whole tub is full of hair :P. My hair is dry, and i moisturize daily. Not sure how much new growth I have.
Okay, well the 2 minute is a very weak product. Whichever product you use it should have hydrolyzed keratin protein listed within the first 2-3 ingredients on the package. The two minute more than likely just rinsed off of your hair strands once you washed your hair. When you have constant breakage the best way to stop it is to strengthen your hair strands with hydrolyzed keratin protein which is what the aphogee 2 step does. You hair is made of mostly protein, in your case your protein strands have been greatly compromised, so you need reinforcements, the aphogee replaces the protein your hair strands have lost (temporarily) it is just small particles of protein which stick to your hair that is all the product is. It is much safer than applying relaxer chemicals. The product is nothing to be afraid of. Most people are being mislead to believe they are protein sensitive, which in most cases this is not true. I understand if you do not want to try it, but that would be my recommendation. When you have chronic breakage you cannot afford mild treatments you must stop it in its tracks.....As far as bone straight, so you were getting relaxers but you do not know how straight she was making your hair? Usually it is bone straight or the just pressed relaxer look. Many times if the hair is extremely straight from the relaxer once your curly hair grows in then your hair will start to break really easy. Because your two textures are so drastically different. The only thing you can do is strengthen your hair with a protein treatment such as aphogee 2 step. Eventually the relaxer will break off or need to be cut off.  Well this is my professional advice, this is all I have right now. You are only 5 months in, since your last relaxer, so it can be rough getting started the first year. But stay focused and remember the results you desire. You can inbox me if you would like anymore help, questions wise. I may not remember to check back here. Blessings!!!!!!!!!
MissDomo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissDomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 8:46pm
Thanks for the posts everyone. I'll keep trying!
Smile
darkvalkyrie123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2013 at 7:35am
Oh and if you're scared about matting, I actually practiced a bit before I started not combing for the entire week and I've learned that keeping the hair braided (dont just put it in a bun unbraided) helps a lot to keep it detangled the entire week. Also if you want, you can try doing it twice a week (cowash your hair midweek and detangle) so that you get used to the process. Like Veemack said, try the hard protein step on your next wash and also don't forget to deep condition right after. I would also deep condition every week too in order to keep the new growth as soft and moisturized as possible. Every day when you smooth your hair, lightly spritz with your favorite mixture of oils/conditioner/etc without undoing your braid(s) then rebun. And don't pull your hair back too tightly as this can lead to extra breakage.
Queensheba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queensheba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 9:01am
the ladies here helped me a lot a few weeks back i asked a similar question bc i am 6 months post and was experiencing alot of hair loss and tangling and matting..... washing in sections..dc with heat....stretching my hair while it airdries so it wont be so tight..and detangeling with conditioner once a week only and parting my hair with my fingers no combs since then i only loose 10%..of what i used to loose 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply