Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Transitioning: Gaining support from Hubby/S.O.

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
UrbanElegance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanElegance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transitioning: Gaining support from Hubby/S.O.
    Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 2:55pm
Hi Ladies,

Ive been active on BHM for years. Even though I went natural back in the late 90's and got a perm again in 03 Shocked....I am making the natural journey again. I like to refer to it as the sequel!!!

Anyway, when I went natural in 1999, I was single and didnt care about what others thought! Now I am married. When I told my husband my plans, he was a little luke warm. I could tell that he is a little scared about how I will look natural. Since I have been with my husband, I have worn long relaxed hair. He seems supportive of my transition but I wonder.

I was wondering how you BHM naturals gained the support of your significant other?

Also, have you read this article? I snagged this off of facebook. Great read!

Sponsored Links

texasmami0117 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasmami0117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 4:18pm

Your S/O sounds exactly like mine. I had APL hair when I started. I dunno if he thought I would shave it all off bald first or what but he kind of freaked. I started wearing braid outs just because and he liked that style. Then I showed him some pics of natural hair styles that he really liked too.

I reminded him that I can cut this relaxed hair off and have hair down to my butt tomorrow. Natural hair today...silky malaysian weave tomorrow. And last, I reminded him that it was MY HAIR.

I think I hesitated for about a year because of my S/O and I wish I never did. I'd be so much better off.
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 1:42am
Congrats on your transitioning back!

My Hubby(then fiance) was not my champion when I transitioned. He was a pure ass. Granted, sometimes I looked like Don King and he thought I was going to cut my APL hair all off. But, I didn't and I found hairboards, specifically BHM and LCHF.

Once I had a reggie and styles, plus the shameful amount of time. I spent on the boards early on, won him over. Plus, its my freakin hair- so Imma do what I want. Now, 9yrs. In he luvs my Cleo. He helps me take progress pics and gives me a press better than my stylist. He's been well indoctrinated now! Lol! Ya babycakes will come around.

imfunsized View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imfunsized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 2:52am
I'm so happy in single through my early years of being natural. I couldn't deal with an unsupportive bf. stay confident though, you are making not only the best health choice for your hair but body as well.
LishaMarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LishaMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 9:04am
I totally big chopped all the way. I talking about a TWA. My hubby was very supportive at first then came the occasional comments and name calling. Was I upset, hell yeah! But then I realize that natural hair is new to him so I had to educate him the same way I educated my self. Now he is very supporting and appreciate my natural tresses. He never wants our children hair relaxed. I am going on 3 years natural now. To break the ice watch Chris Rock's Good Hair with your hubby/bf.
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 12:08pm
idk. i just did it. i didn't try to gain his support LOL

he was confused as to why but came around.

i think it will help if you talk to him about why its important to you.
Ms_Kudos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms_Kudos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2013 at 8:16am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic