Extensions Plus

Forum LockedTransitioning advice...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Lissy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transitioning advice...
    Posted: Sep 08 2007 at 5:21pm
I wanted to know what the best way is to transition without cutting all of my relaxed hair off all at once. I also dont want to apply too much heat to the new hair that is growing in healthily. What can I do? Any suggestions?

http://public.fotki.com/Lisellegoingnatural/
Sponsored Links

Crescendo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2007 at 5:23pm
I did braids for 2 years
Lissy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2007 at 6:50pm
extensions or your own hair? i braided my hair for like a month with my own hair but it breaks when i take them out..
sweet_ambrosia View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2007 at 7:08pm
You could try wearing protective/low maintenance styles like: braidouts, twistouts, rollersets, flexi rod sets, buns, french rolls, bantu knots, flat twists etc...these styles are easy to do plus they will blend in well with your natural texture (new growth). They worked well for me during my 2 year transition.

gagirl06 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 8:21pm
Do not put braids in your hair!  They only damage it and will defeat the purpose of going natural.  My advice is to simply be patient.  There's no way you can get around the occasional frustration and bad hair days you might encounter.  I didn't cut my hair because I wanted to keep the length.  Almost a year and a half later, I'm all natural.  I simply kept up my regular trims every 12 weeks or so.  And I never stopped using heat on my hair.  I just took (and still do) very good care of it. 
talkalotgirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 10:18pm
Last time I grew my hair out natural for a length of time it was with braids, water and infusium daily made it really healthy.

This time I am pulling my hair back and have been doing so since March with no real issues...my fotki needs updates, but you can see how I wear my hair daily...  It's growing without issue

I basically have a concotion of unrefined shea butter, mixed with conditioner and infusium as a leave in, slick it back w/ gel, phony pony, scarf and keep it moving.  my relaxed hair does break sometimes, but I am going to get rid of it anyways.  Every day I massage my scalp with a plastic pic to keep the hair follicles healthy.

good luck. 

sahnei View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2007 at 11:45pm
talkalotgirl your pics are restricted.
sahnei View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2007 at 11:56pm
You have to determine whether your hair is actually breaking from the braids or if it is the normal shedding that it should have done on a daily basis while the braids were in. I have transitioned once and then relaxed after a year and now I am back on the bandwagon. Transitioning for everyone is different, depending on texture.  If your hair has a nice curl pattern, you should be able to find moisterizers that  keep it looking nice. I tell you what, when I transitioned my hair was short and I used Paul Mitchel's foaming pomade. The stuff is great---but my hair was short. (not quite to my neck). The longer it gets the tougher it is. I would put tons of moisterizer in. When it was neck length I used an Aveda product, I think it was called keep it curly or something. For my texture it rocked. Once it was long enough to slick back into a pony --I did and maybe added a piece or two. Then I got kinky twists---Loved them! It will help it grow tremendously. I kept them for about 2-3 months. Took them out and had almost shoulder length hair. I did micros too before the twists and that made my hair break---may've had something to do with the relaxer. You will suffer some loss with braids if you keep them for an extended amount of time. I am doing a half braid with my own hair right now to transition.
ButterCaramel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2007 at 3:09am
i've been doing cornrows and buns since i started transitioning
loolalooh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2007 at 9:52am
I think much of the advice the ladies gave sums it up.  Low manipulation and protective styles are the key.  Do what works for you whether its styles with extensions or your real hair. 

I'm a fellow transitioner and added you as a friend if you don't mind.  Your hair is gorgeous; I'll continue watching your transition.Smile
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic