Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Transitioners Support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 256>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BJ View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transitioners Support
    Posted: May 30 2007 at 8:18am
This is your thread to offer encouragement, solutions, and ask questions about transitioning!

Its almost Summertime! For alot of us that means frizzy, wild newgrowth and untamable manes. I remember around this time I was in transition mode. I kept my hair in box braids, cornrows or two-strand twists to fight the urge to relax. I kept my hair baggied and co-washed with my braids in.
That kept my hair safe and off my mind.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Successful transitioners, share your secrets, tips & tricks!

Edited by billyjean - May 30 2007 at 8:21am
Sponsored Links

loolalooh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loolalooh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 8:33am
Bump.  I just started transitioning and I DEFINITELy wanna hear some "secrets, tips, & tricks".  Especially since I'll brave it without braids until late August.Smile
mcelweewife View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcelweewife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 12:09pm
I am not transtioning, but i know all too well about dealing with newgrowth versus relaxed hair for months on end. I am seriously considering waiting until Thanksgiving to relax my hair again, instead of August 24th. I am partly just curious as to how my newgrowth would look 33 weeks post relaxer (April 27-Nov 21)

BillyJean, this is a genious thread, because a lot of people are transitioning and have questions. I think the main thing is to keep your hair clean and deep condition at LEAST once a week, if not twice. It would be great to use a protein condtioner one wash day, then on the second wash day use cholesterol to soften it up. Keeping the hair hydrated is a good too as well as staying AWAY from brushes if it can be avoided and in most cases it can.
talkalotgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talkalotgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 12:38pm
thanks BJ...this is an excellent idea.  I am new to the tranisition game (grew out with braids and weaves in the past) so I will be returning.

This would be a good idea for the natural thread too....

Edited by talkalotgirl - May 30 2007 at 12:38pm
Imsopretty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imsopretty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 12:53pm
bantu knots, braids,cornrows,two strand twists and a spray bottle of leavein mixed with water were my best friends before I chopped! LOL
Ebonyqueen010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebonyqueen010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 1:11pm

omg this thread was much needed! THANK YOU!!

i have cowashed my hair every other day bc my hair has been soo frizzy and ruff. my hair was never like this until it started gettin hot my hair is about as ruff as a rug idk y either!and the sun is soaking my hair moisture up like a vacuum!! but ima hold out ,yall pray 4 me lol

here is all the natural/transitioners fotki VERY INSPIRATIONAL!!
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=55754
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 1:28pm
I was getting too excited about my growth (ie measureing it everyother day) so I got it cornrowed.  It feels alot better without all that hot hair on my neck.  I've been using braid spray to keep my NG moisturized, even when I don't wear braids.   And thanks for those tips Wifey.Thumbs%20Up
Ebonyqueen010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebonyqueen010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 4:05pm
bumping...!!
sweet_ambrosia View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sweet_ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 5:47pm

I’ve posted this a few times in the natural section, and on other hair forums, hopefully those who are transitioning to natural will find it helpful.

~*Some basic tips*~

Moisture:

*Keep your new growth moisturized, the area where your new growth and relaxed hair meet (the line of demarcation) is most vulnerable to breakage, keeping that area moisturized is crucial. Don’t forget to moisturize your ends as well.

Protein:

*Make sure to add a decent amount of protein in your hair regimen, the protein will help strengthen your hair. You can use protein based conditioners, protein reconstructor(s) or natural sources of protein like eggs. Use whatever you feel is necessary for your hair.

Hair Styles:

*Low Manipulation/Protective Styles are best when transitioning IMO. Styles such as: Braidouts, Twistouts, Rod Sets, Roller Sets, Buns, French Rolls, Bantu Knots, Flat Twists, Braid Extensions etc…are great transitioning styles. They’re easy to do, and they’re easy on your hair. Plus your natural texture will blend in better with your relaxed hair when wearing these styles.

Trimming/Cutting:

*How often you trim/cut your relaxed ends is a personal choice. As long as you trim/cut your ends it will help along with the transition process. Not trimming/cutting at all will just make the process difficult, and most likely your hair will suffer consequently.

Heat Usage:

*If your going to use heat, keep it at a minimum. Using too much heat isn’t good for the hair. It can permanently straighten your natural texture, it only takes one time for damage to occur, please keep that in mind. Whenever you use heat make sure to use a good heat protectant.

Washing/Detangling:

*A great method for washing/detangling your hair is to wash your hair in braided sections. It will help minimize/eliminate any tangles or breakage. You can make however many braids you want. I usually make 3-4. You basically braid your hair in sections, then wet your hair and apply your shampoo or conditioner thoroughly massage into each section. Unbraid one section at a time, then detangle each section from ends to roots using a wide toothed comb.

Consistency & Patience:

*Once you find the right products that work for your hair stick with them, it will help make the journey to natural a bit easier. Remember the journey to natural is just that, a journey, it takes time and patience.

Good Luck!
~SA
BJ View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 6:41pm
Thats an amazing compilation of information SA!!!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 256>
  Share Topic