Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Care Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedNegative/Positive Feedback on Natural Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Exodus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Negative/Positive Feedback on Natural Hair?
    Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 10:33am
Hello,

I am curious to know what type of feedback you ladies recieve from wearing your hair natural. Is it mostly negative or positive or mixed?

Living in a big city like Chicago it is not uncommon to see women rocking their natural hair. More and more ladies are no longer afraid to embrace their natural hair. However, we are still the minority in a society full of chemical warfare. For the most part my natural experience has been pretty good.  The funny thing is, most of my negative feedback has came from people who are the closest to me such as family. Just to give an example....

Negative Comments
"You look like Chicken George's wife"-Father
"You must want to go back to Africa"-Mother
"Your hair looks nappy and dry" Mother
"Your hair looks like mine"-Father (Think of a box cut)
"You look like Michael Jackson with a mop on"-Father (I had my hair in kinky twists)
"You know how you natural women are"-Boyfriend
"Why don't you just get a perm"-Boyfriend
"Why are you wearing an afro? We already know you're black?"-Stranger on the street
"You must be the pretty version of Whoopi Goldberg"-Classmate

I generally don't take these nasty comments too serious, but sometimes they can hurt. My parents don't mean harm, they are just country and old school and aren't use to seeing a lot of women with natural hair.

POSTIVE COMMENTS
"Your hair is so pretty"-Stranger
"It's about time us black women stopped putting chemicals in our heads"-Stranher
"I love the fro"-Stranger
"Your hair is sooo....natural! I wish mine was like that"-Friend
"Your hair is beautiful"-Stranger
"Your hair is nice and thick and healthy"-Stranger
"Those twists are what's up"-Stranger

You get the point....I have received much more positive feedback than negative when I think about it. And the positve comments tend to be more common among strangers. Interesting isn't it?

Sponsored Links

ticklepink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 10:56am

I havent really got anything terrible but it annoys me a bit when people say that you should relax your hair simply becuase they think all Black women move one that step. I dont think people understand that Im not going toConfused.

My mum had this friend who would always suggest that she could give me a weave now my hairs got longer, I told her no thanks. I happen to know that this woman is never out of weaves and says she hates her napply Black peoples hair so it offends me that she assume I should feel the same.

White people tend to love it but Blacks not neccesarily
Only1biancab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 11:04am
Most of the compliments I get come from strangers too. 
Positive:
  "I like your hair.  It's so unique and makes you stand out.  Can I touch it?"--guy at club

"That's how I want my hair to look."--girl on the street

"I like your locs.  They look good on you"--guy at the club (it was really braids)

"I like your hair.  You look beautiful." --guy at the club

"I like your hair."--guy I was dating

"I like your hair it's so cute.  I wish my hair did that."--coworker

"I like your hair."--coworker

"Oh I love your hair."--classmate.  She said that every other day.

"Your hair is so pretty."--mom.  Every once in a while she'll stop what she's doing and say that and she used to hate my hair. 

"Your hair looks nice.  What did you do to it?"  That's my grandmother and she used to hate my hair too.   She still says I should press it.

Negative:

"You look really crazy right now"--guy friend

Mom saying that I should texturize it.

Grandma saying that I should press it.

Pastor making comments about nappy hair and I'm the only one there with any.
Exodus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 11:16am
Originally posted by ticklepink ticklepink wrote:

I havent really got anything terrible but it annoys me a bit when people say that you should relax your hair simply becuase they think all Black women move one that step. I dont think people understand that Im not going toConfused.

My mum had this friend who would always suggest that she could give me a weave now my hairs got longer, I told her no thanks. I happen to know that this woman is never out of weaves and says she hates her napply Black peoples hair so it offends me that she assume I should feel the same.

White people tend to love it but Blacks not neccesarily

Yea...my boyfriend has decided to give up on the notion that I will NEVER again perm my hair. I don't know why people think that you have to feel like them or wear your hair a certain way. I respect people with perms and I would just like the same respect with my hair being natural.

And YES!! White people love our natural hair. I had a white friend who told me that she wished her hair was my texuture! She said she is bored with her straight limp hair. LOL. It's funny how white people perm their hair to acheive a curl pattern, and blacks relax their hair to take away the curl pattern. We all are never satisfied. LOL. LOL
Exodus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Only1biancab Only1biancab wrote:

Most of the compliments I get come from strangers too. 
Positive:
  "I like your hair.  It's so unique and makes you stand out.  Can I touch it?"--guy at club

"That's how I want my hair to look."--girl on the street

"I like your locs.  They look good on you"--guy at the club (it was really braids)

"I like your hair.  You look beautiful." --guy at the club

"I like your hair."--guy I was dating

"I like your hair it's so cute.  I wish my hair did that."--coworker

"I like your hair."--coworker

"Oh I love your hair."--classmate.  She said that every other day.

"Your hair is so pretty."--mom.  Every once in a while she'll stop what she's doing and say that and she used to hate my hair. 

"Your hair looks nice.  What did you do to it?"  That's my grandmother and she used to hate my hair too.   She still says I should press it.

Negative:

"You look really crazy right now"--guy friend

Mom saying that I should texturize it.

Grandma saying that I should press it.

Pastor making comments about nappy hair and I'm the only one there with any.

OMG at the comment from your pastor! Why would he be discussing nappy hair? Jesus had nappy hair! So what?

Yea...I get the "you should press it out" all the time. They always say..."It would be so pretty." As if it isn't pretty in it's natural state. Angry
Gigi-07 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 11:38am
Yes, a lot of white folks love love love our hair! And to think I hated it for so long...
Only1biancab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Exodus Exodus wrote:

OMG at the comment from your pastor! Why would he be discussing nappy hair? Jesus had nappy hair! So what?

Yea...I get the "you should press it out" all the time. They always say..."It would be so pretty." As if it isn't pretty in it's natural state. Angry

He's overall nice to me, but he likes to tell people EXACTLY what he thinks.  He likes keeping it real I guess, lol.  He told my mom straight up that he didn't like her hair when she was natural for a couple of months.

My grandma is so old school.  She used to say the way to get a nice young man was to straighten my hair and dress up.  Now I get lots of attention, so it's been a while since I heard that "press it" stuff.  Long time since I heard that texturizer thing too.
Drea1974 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 12:04pm
I have told this before but like everyone else has said my comments come from those who know me and other fellow sistas:

Dad just 20 minutes ago when I put a pic of my comb twists on my MSN messanger: What's up with the hair, Asked him if he liked it and he said "well it's interesting to say the least."

Neighbor on my right: "Baldilocks."

Neighbor's sister: "Miss D why don't you relax that mess?"

My mother: "Girl! That hair is NAPPPYYY!!"

Passerby that I don't know, but it was 2 black women: "Sistas like her are the reason people still think of us as slaves!" She thought I didn't hear it I told her SHE was the one thinking like the slave, straightening that hair to fit in and kept walking.

These are the type of things I hear from black women, my father not withstanding. And they used to hurt me but I could care less anymore. one more and THIS is a good one:

A fellow coworker that is from Nigeria, she goes to Deltech during the day: " Why you not put some creme in your head? You won't get no where in dis world wit hair like dat." No joke people, she said this to me.

I laugh now, because people are still in the dark and I am not. I have a few health problems and I know that the hair crack contributed to it. I am better now and know no one can love me or my hair more than me.

Edited by Drea1974 - Jul 10 2007 at 12:12pm
Exodus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Drea1974 Drea1974 wrote:

I have told this before but like everyone else has said my comments come from those who know me and other fellow sistas:

Dad just 20 minutes ago when I put a pic of my comb twists on my MSN messanger: What's up with the hair, Asked him if he liked it and he said "well it's interesting to say the least."

Neighbor on my right: "Baldilocks."

Neighbor's sister: "Miss D why don't you relax that mess?"

My mother: "Girl! That hair is NAPPPYYY!!"

Passerby that I don't know, but it was 2 black women: "Sistas like her are the reason people still think of us as slaves!" She thought I didn't hear it I told her SHE was the one thinking like the slave, straightening that hair to fit in and kept walking.

These are the type of things I hear from black women, my father not withstanding. And they used to hurt me but I could care less anymore. one more and THIS is a good one:

A fellow coworker that is from Nigeria, she goes to Deltech during the day: " Why you not put some creme in your head? You won't get no where in dis world wit hair like dat." No joke people, she said this to me.

I laugh now, because people are still in the dark and I am not. I have a few health problems and I know that the hair crack contributed to it. I am better now and know no one can love me or my hair more than me.

To the ignorant comment from the black women...You are right! SHE is the reason why we will continue to be thought of as slaves! She is the one who has conformed. She is the one who probably hates herself!. Angry  And to the nigerian woman!! Now she knows.....!!!!!
First off...her HAIR looks just like yours after she takes the cream out of it! Second of all how would she have liked it if you told her that she would get nowhere in life with that silly accent of hers and that she should learn to speak kings english???? 

People really amaze me. They are extremely ignorant. It's such a shame.
Drea1974 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 12:33pm
Thank you Exodus, cause I feel the same way. I would in no way talk a relaxed woman into going natural, like other have said some are definitely not ready for it. But I have a right to be proud of my hair and who I am and also the right not to take crap like they were spewing from anyone!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic