Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Care Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNegative/Positive Feedback on Natural Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
sLeepy x0x View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Negative/Positive Feedback on Natural Hair?
    Posted: Jul 12 2007 at 3:57pm
negative:
- I hate when my natural hair is considered as a phase or rebellion (mostly family says that)

Sponsored Links

Cocorita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2007 at 3:44pm
Yesterday I went to the computer store to pick up some high gloss paper. And I asked the clerk where it was before she told me where it was she said, "I love your hair." I had it out and I was self conscious because it was humid outside. Then another clerk (Asian) came up to me and said the same thing. "I wish I had hair like yours, mine is so straight and blah." Shocked (Didn't know some straight-haired people felt like that; they buy flat irons to make their flat hair more flatConfused)

She wondered how I got it to look like that, I told her it was natural. She asked if I put a comb in it LOL. I said not everyday and she asked does it tangle easily. I said it tangles yes, but it isn't a complete hassle to detangle it--been doing it whole life, I am used to it.
mstoya25 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2007 at 11:41am
My biological family hates and my in-laws love it.....I think by now my family knows to keep whatever comments to themselves....My mom will still be like I just can't understand why you cut off all your long thick hair to walk around like that.....I'm like ok ma, your hair isn't long anymore and you've been relaxing for how long????  It grows but she breaks off half as much as she grows, faithfully gets a touch up every month and color on top of that....It is amazing that her hair is still as full as it is....I know I'm not relaxing anymore and that's that and whomever doesn't like it can kick rocks.  I have never had anyone on the street say something outta the way, but once back in '98 this b-tch told me a need a perm while I was at my bar working.....Let's just say she should still be thankful all I did was spit in her drank...LOL!!!  My son wants to touch my hair all the time, far more than when I was relaxed so that's all the justification I need.
softnkinky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2007 at 10:43am

It is so unfortunate that we are 7 years into the 21 Century and natural sisters are still being ridiculed for wearing their hair the way they want to.

I am a Teacher of High Schoolers, so you all know that I hear it!! But to my surprise, I have not heard it as much as I thought that I would. One kid did call me Florida Evans (Good Times) LOL!! I thought it was funny, my hubby cracks up when I tell him.

Some times I can feel bad, and alone with my kinks. I wish more women would take the natural leap of faith.

I shake my head when I see folks running for the relaxer,and their hair is all eaten up by the chemical. Don't they realize that is one reason why they are losing alot of their hair ? My sis-n-law put a relaxer in her 2 year olds hair...WTF??? THen she asks me, what am I doing for my daughters ages 6 and 1 hair...Well, I am not using harsh chemicals to burn their scalps clean off in...Wacko

Booshaitian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2007 at 10:19am
All my friends are encouraging to go back to natural!..
My mom is 100% for it, since she's getting old, and can't
perm my hair anymore! My little sis is waiting to see
if my hair does grow faster when it's natural!..
we shall see what happens!..:)...my white b/f is
excited for me!..:)
Curly0405 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2007 at 10:46pm
When Ifirst chopped, my mother freaked. She didn't say much it was the looks. They made me feel horrible. I put on a front to her face but they hurt. My dad didn't understand. They tolerate it now, but the think i should stop doing things to it.  Guilty pleasure Big%20smile. Strangers like the color,texture etc. My friends tell me all the time they wish they had my hair because I have "good hair". I tell them hair is hair, love your own. There is no such thing as good or bad. White people do love our hair. When I first started a job, i had braids because i wasn't sure my hair would be accepted. After i had to take them out, a lady at my job told me she liked my hair better that way. Funny how that works !
Romeosgirl81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 7:53pm
well i have had mostly positive responses, today i wore an afro puff! i dont think it's that serious, the ones that are saying negaive things about our hair is probably ashamed of their own hair, and thats why that want to talk down on our hair!
Only1biancab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by nappystraight nappystraight wrote:

I can't believe your pastor said that, Bianca! Was it while he was on the pulpit? My grandad is a pastor, and he has made comments when it was relaxed and natural, but he's family.  Well, if your pastor is close like that, I can understand him commenting, but it sounded like he said it in front of the congregation, since you said you're the only one with nappy hair.

Usually he's in the pulpit when he says something about nappy hair.  One time while he was over at our house to pray over our new home, he said a few things about it to me and another visitor.  When he said it to my mom, he said it to her face.

I'm not close to him and he's not family lol. But I don't take it hard, that mindset is everywhere.  Even in the church.
LucianGoddess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 2:27pm
My hairdresser told me "Don't let anyone ever tell you your hair isn't beautiful the way it. It doesn't need to be straight to be beautiful!"

My family has accepted it VERY well:
-My youngest sister (13) has all natural hair after having a perm (at age 10) that broke of ALL of her long, pretty, thick hair.
- My cousin has also made the switch to natural after seeing my hair

I really haven't experienced anything negative, to tell you the truth!
BlackstarBlue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Gigi-07 Gigi-07 wrote:

Yes, a lot of white folks love love love our hair! And to think I hated it for so long...

My white ex looved my hair straight/weaved. I get positive comments from black people all the time.
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic