FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ellen's Usain Bolt tweet deemed racist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Hair ViVi

Author
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ellen's Usain Bolt tweet deemed racist
    Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 4:28pm

thoughts? 

I saw the image retweeted by my niece last night and I immediately knew Ellen was going to get in trouble. 

Ellen's Usain Bolt tweet deemed racist

(CNN)What was meant as a joke about Usain Bolt and Ellen DeGeneres swiftly went awry on Twitter.
On Monday, the daytime talk show host's official Twitter account tweeted a doctored image of Ellen riding the back of the gold medalist.
    The photo is the now famous one of him smiling as he heads to winning the men's 100m race at the Olympics in Rio.
    The tweet's caption from Ellen reads "This is how I'm running errands from now on."

Twitter comments:
    -So riding on his back like a mule, a horse as some form of property is fun to you...

honestly this is offensive.

DeGeneres was quick to address the backlash on Twitter. “I am highly aware of the racism that exists in our country,” she tweeted Tuesday.

“It is the furthest thing from who I am.”

Bolt didn’t seem to mind, however — the Jamaican sprinter, who appeared on “Ellen” last season, retweeted DeGeneres’ controversial post last night.

Edited by PurplePhase - Aug 16 2016 at 5:33pm
    Sponsored Links

rickysrose View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 5:29pm
    Bolt is happy and easy going, nothing phases him, including running closest to the speed of light than other humans

But for the rest of us, in this time and place, we can drag her for him, Ellen should have never, ever, ever have thought nor posted that

She never fooled me as being far from racist ... Her elitism, superiority, privilege, whatever you want to call it, pokes through the facade

Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 5:35pm
    I thought it was an odd image for her to tweet.

I hope Diane   comments on this.

Edited by PurplePhase - Aug 16 2016 at 5:35pm
    rickysrose View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 5:38pm
    Diane is the Jamaican whisperer?
    Cocoa View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Cocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 5:53pm
    i get the joke, others wont... meh
    eanaj5 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 6:04pm
    I'm honestly not bothered...but it may be because it's Ellen.
    I don't believe the intent was racist, but I see how others would be offended
    ppp38 View Drop Down
    VIP Member
    VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote ppp38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 6:07pm
    Not bothered by this at all, lets save the outrage for things that actually merit outrage. 
    K_Camille View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 6:21pm
    I'm not offended.  I don't think she meant it that way.
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 6:42pm
    Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

Diane is the Jamaican whisperer?

no. I said that bec. she knows Usain. I wondered if she would know how he really felt about it.

*she knows one of his GFs lol

Edited by PurplePhase - Aug 16 2016 at 6:49pm
    newdiva1 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2016 at 8:37pm
    I want to be mad but ...i'm trying to see the problem and got nothing at first glance.

somebody please break down the offense for my melanin to receive it.
    Hair ViVi
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
      Share Topic