Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ebola Outbreak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ebola Outbreak
    Posted: 47 minutes ago at 4:52pm
all of this stuff is confusing...I see a lot of conflicting information, but one thing I have surmised is that things won't get as bad as my apocalyptic daydreams. 

Since it hasn't spread to other neighboring countries in Africa, odds are we won't be facing some crazy threat here in America either.  If the virus is only spread once symptoms show then we should be safe since the person is harmless during the incubation period.  And not being airborne is a huge plus.  With all of those Ebola fright happening, anyone who has been in certain places, connected to this Dallas patient, or feeling sick will probably seek treatment immediately.

Edited by ms_wonderland - 46 minutes ago at 4:53pm
Sponsored Links

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 26 minutes ago at 4:34pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by juicifruit89 juicifruit89 wrote:

Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Jolie, while I appreciate your belief in fate, I'm sure you can understand that some people would still want to do things to reduce the risk

This. Not taking the proper precautions/people handling Ebola stricken people improperly is behind the rapid spread in W.Africa. We should do our best to contain the threat.

But the point is that restricting flights to and from W. Africa is not gonna contain the thread. Aviation is international business. Even if you eliminate the chance of coming into contact with Africans in Africa carrying the disease, people travel there from all over for business alone and then go back to their respective countries. In doing so, they cross paths with foreigners en route to their own destinations from other flights. Given today's global context, it's not really controllable.

yep, yep. sigh
juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 27 minutes ago at 4:33pm
Guess I'll have to settle for living out in the boonies and wearing gloves/face masks in public.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 27 minutes ago at 4:33pm

I believe this thing was manufactured. Bio-terrorism and such. How convenient that they just happened to have a remedy ready for those whites they repatriated? That alone is eyebrow raising.

these were my co-workers exact words five minutes ago
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 31 minutes ago at 4:29pm
in the meantime dancehall acts recently flew to Nigeria on tour (not sure if they are back yet)....
i would think if we are banning travel from Nigeria etc to here, then our folks shoudl be banned from going there for now, as well

Alaine and Christopher Martin on Tour in Africa 

“It's one of those feelings that you try to pinpoint one word that would truly express how you feel, but you can't really put your finger on the word so it is an awesome...awesome feeling. Growing up and hearing that we're all from Africa and being able to go there and witness it for yourself, to see the people and feel the love it's an awesome feeling. Words can't explain”

Re e Artiste Christopher Martin commenting on his upcoming tour of Uganda starting on Friday September 5th 2014 in Africa even as an Ebola Virus Epidemic ravages West Africa

Jamaica is not a country with a high Risk of the Ebola Epidemic coming from West Africa says Minister of Health Dr. Fenton Ferguson, according to the Horse’s mouth, The Jamaica Information Service in the article “Jamaica Not in High Risk Category for Ebola”, published August 7, 2014 By Latonya Linton,The Jamaica Information Service.

Edited by Wildfire - 1 hour 23 minutes ago at 4:37pm
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 31 minutes ago at 4:29pm
^^^Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever (the dancehall troupes going to Nigeria, that is).

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - 1 hour 30 minutes ago at 4:30pm
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 33 minutes ago at 4:27pm
hmph...

Shares of Companies Testing Ebola Vaccines Rise

NEW YORK — Sep 30, 2014, 6:57 PM ET

Shares of some companies that are studying potential vaccines for Ebola climbed after federal officials announced that the first case of the disease has been diagnosed in the U.S.

The Centers for Disease Control said a patient being treated at a hospital in Dallas tested positive for the disease.

Ebola is believed to have sickened more than 6,500 people in West Africa, and more than 3,000 people have died.

The World Health Organization has worked to speed up the use of some experimental vaccines and companies are ramping up testing. Earlier this month NewLink Genetics said it would start safety testing of a vaccine within a few weeks, while Inovio Pharmaceuticals said it would start human trials of a DNA-based vaccine in early 2015.

Shares of Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. shares rose 35 cents, or 3.6 percent, to $10.20 in aftermarket trading, while NewLink Genetics Corp. shares gained $2.68, or 12.5 percent, to $24.10. Stock of some other companies that have been involved in efforts to come up with vaccines and medications also jumped. BioCryst Pharmaceuticals Inc. added $1.26, or 13 percent, to $11.04; Sarepta Therapeutics Inc. rose $1.57, or 7.4 percent, to $22.67; and Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corp. stock climbed $5.97, or 28 percent, to $27.11.

Ebola's symptoms can start as much as 21 days after exposure, and the disease isn't contagious until symptoms begin. It takes close contact with bodily fluids to spread.

juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 33 minutes ago at 4:27pm

Originally posted by juicifruit89 juicifruit89 wrote:

Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Jolie, while I appreciate your belief in fate, I'm sure you can understand that some people would still want to do things to reduce the risk

This. Not taking the proper precautions/people handling Ebola stricken people improperly is behind the rapid spread in W.Africa. We should do our best to contain the threat.

But the point is that restricting flights to and from W. Africa is not gonna contain the thread. Aviation is international business. Even if you eliminate the chance of coming into contact with Africans in Africa carrying the disease, people travel there from all over for business alone and then go back to their respective countries. In doing so, they cross paths with foreigners en route to their own destinations from other flights. Given today's global context, it's not really controllable.

That's why I think when people say ban flights to/from Africa, people who plan to travel there on their own are included in the ban. No reentry if they choose to take the risk until it's contained. But youre right, foreigners coming from non participating countries could make this a real challenge.

Edited by juicifruit89 - 1 hour 28 minutes ago at 4:32pm
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 34 minutes ago at 4:26pm
I believe this thing was manufactured. Bio-terrorism and such. How convenient that they just happened to have a remedy ready for those whites they repatriated? That alone is eyebrow raising.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 34 minutes ago at 4:26pm
Originally posted by MsBMW MsBMW wrote:

Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

It's only a flight away. I traveler from Liberia felt sick and died in a Nigerian hospital. Now they're quarantining the whole hospital and trying to find out who else was on the plane with him. It's THAT easy.

Didn't read the whole thread but why the hell USA let them come over here without them being vaccinated. You have other 3rd world coutures for instance Jamaica  banning all Africans..smh 

*nods* we have no miracle vaccines that mysteriously wasnt mentioned/used til American docs got ebola....we have to take drastic measures.
I read somewhere today that the WHO says there will be a vaccine by 2015?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style