Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Hair Stretching techniques for growth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Stretching techniques for growth
    Posted: 7 hours 44 minutes ago at 11:16am
Did not wait for a week to wash out the 4c BKT. Cowashed on the 3rd day as recommended. The change is very minimal. it looks like a very mild texturizer. Hair went from 4c/z to 4a/b. It is easier to comb and feels more conditioned but did not get to 3c at all. 
The areas where I did not use as much heat have almost no change. So it is really important to do 10 passes at 450 if you are 4c. The effects are cumulative, so this will need to be done again in about 3 to 4 weeks for best results.
Sponsored Links

Deirdre123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deirdre123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2014 at 12:08am
lots of good information in this thread. thanks
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2014 at 3:14pm
I will tell you honestly how it turns out Carrie. Keeping my fingers crossed. 
On a side note, the Wildroot cream oil came today and I tried it on my hair. It is so moisturizing and kind of thick. I think the PEG-8 in it helps with the moisture as it is a humectant. I think it will give a nice smoothing effect to the hair itself. It has lanolin and some sort of liquified waxes (Microcrystalline Waxes) in it. Most products with wax in them feel very dry on the hair. But this one has the first ingredient water, and the PEG-8 humectant along with the micro waxes that just feels dewy with some weight of the micro waxes to smooth the hair. The lanolin (from sheep) is very close to human sebum and oils. So I think it is a great hairdress cream oil for AA hair for a silkening and smoothing effect. Adds a good sheen too! 

It has mineral oil in it but I don't even really buy into that hype about it being bad bc Silicon Mix has it and it does great by me. Also, baby oil (mineral oil) and water always worked wonders on my hair. Realistically, mineral oil is an excellent sealant. And the product contains its own moisture in the form of water and humectants. So I see this as a good balance of moisturizer and sealer in one along with weighty liquified waxes almost like a very light edge control in one super all in one product.  I will update on the Wildroot also, and how it works on my hair as well as on 4c hair. I used to use it a long time ago and remember how silky it made my hair look.

Edited by LadyAradia - Nov 20 2014 at 12:55am
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2014 at 2:37pm
LadyAradia, I will be keeping close tabs on this!

I am really debating trying the Keratin Research. My hair is thriving right now and I'm afraid of f@cking it all up like I've done so many times before.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2014 at 1:43pm
Brazilian Keratin Treatment on 4c hair
OK so today i did a big chop on my texlaxed 4c friend. The hair was so broken off so I trimmed almost all the relaxer off and left the hair about 1 1/2 inches long. After shampooing the hair with a clarifying shampoo to remove all barriers,  I then put the Keratin Research Brazilian Keratin Treatment in the hair and left it on under a conditioner cap for an hour. 

Then I blow dried it in and used a 3/8" Red Kiss Ceramic Root Straightening comb on 450 degrees to try to straighten it since the hair is too short  to flat iron it after the big chop . The fumes were not much at all and I did not use a fan. It was very hard to get the hair straight with this root straightener hot comb. I will have to get a tiny 1/2" flat iron for next time. So hopefully it will grow some in the mean time to be long enough to flat iron, because these root straightening combs do not straighten that well on 4c hair. The hot comb did not burn the scalp at all  but the hot comb doesn't work well. The Keratin Research solution also did not burn at all. It was like putting on a conditioner and blow drying it in. It is a very pleasant and fragrant white cream like a conditioner.

After trying to straighten it with the root straightening hot comb, I brushed some ORS edge control in the hair and put a stocking cap on the hair for safe keeping. Will try to keep it straight and dry for a week. Am hoping for some conditioning benefits and at least a nice 4a or 3c texture  out of the 4c twa to make it easier to manage and look nice. Will update with results after a week (next Wednesday) when I do the first co wash and conditioner update.

PS: Planning to use Wildroot Hair Groom Original (cream oil) as a daily styling product for this after the first cowash in a week.

Edited by LadyAradia - Nov 20 2014 at 8:36am
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2014 at 2:17pm
Going to try to keep these in till thanksgiving...my hair lay much flatter when i unpin it then wrap it for bed...pinned up was making it puffy while wrapped.
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2014 at 2:25pm
Threaded....learned i can only put liqiud on my roots.
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2014 at 8:51am
Threads been looking neat since i stared sleeping in a satin scarf.
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2014 at 6:13pm
Threaded....i missed them dearly.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2014 at 5:16am
I was so surprised when I air dired my hair today after I co-washed it. I noticed that for all intents and purposes.... my hair is STRAIGHT now. I do not have any curls!  Really it is a loose type 2 now not pin straight type 1. Now I could scrunch some curls or waves in if I wanted to do what the semi straight haired Caucasian ladies do who call themselves "curly" girls. But I am not going for that anyways. Maybe I will try the faux, scrunched curls one day for a change of pace. But what I  did was use my Tresemme Keratin Smooth 7 day Heat Activated treatment as a leave in, and I brushed my hair completely smoothly with a brush and let it air dry straight. I had noticed while it was air drying that the ends did dry a bit frizzy  and with a tiny bit of curl but when I put that on as a leave in, it straightened it out and allowed it to air dry very smooth and frizz free ! So that will be my go to leave in for heat use as well as air drying from now on. After it was dry, I twisted it up into a top knot bun because that is my cheat setting technique for bombshell Victoria Secret Model hair. It basically makes the hair look like it was set on jumbo rollers without all the work.

What chemicals did I used to achieve this straight hair?.... NONE! 
Is it heat damage? Absolutelutely 100% NO! LOL
I just found out that what I was using as a flat iron was 100% defective and probably not even 200 degrees. I can PRESS my hand to it hard to try to feel a little warmth and it only felt luke warm at best. So that thing is in the trash somewhere. I now use a  new iron  at 350 for my color treated, ex- 3b hair. I had previously, inaccurately assumed that the old iron must have been about 350 -390 but after feeling what 350 really feels like on my new iron, I now know I was wrong. It was no where near any kind of 300 degrees...not even in the ball park.

What I used to get these results was one application of Uncurly which I botched by using a defective COOL temperature flat iron. So really that treatment did not count because I REALLY did not flat iron it in. Then I used the Tresemme Keratin Smooth 7 day mentioned above each time I "flat ironed" with that same lame cool iron.
And I finally, a couple months later, I did one Liquid Keratin 60 day when I bought a decent 400 degree Remington flat iron and used it on 350 instead. Again when I did "flat iron" in  between treatments, I used the Tresemme Keratin Smooth 7 day Heat Activated Treatment as a booster after every co wash. That is also my standard leave in from now on. And, I conditioned with OGX Anti Breakage Keratin Oil Conditioner. So basically I switched to mainly keratin products along with doing the UNCURLY Keratin treatment (Uncurly.com) and the Liquid Keratin 60 day Keratin treatment. The first attempt was like a texlax and made my 3b/c like a 3a. The 2nd application made my 3b  like 2a. For me, 2a is basically STRAIGHT hair. The results just snuck up on me after a few months of religious use of Keratin treatments, conditioners and 7day Keratins.  Again, my results are all suspect because I found out that my flat iron was probably not even 200 degrees the first few times. I am not recommending anyone uses luke warm flat irons. It basically made me waste products. I surely would have gotten my results sooner if I had  used an adequate flat iron from day one. 

How cool was my defective flat iron? Basically I could hold my whole palm pressed against it and barely feel any heat. So it was really not even a flat iron at all. It WAS defective.
So basically, I straightened my hair with just keratin and a new flat iron at 350 degree. That low temperature of 350 will work only because my hair is very fine and color treated, fragile, 3b/c hair. For typical type 4 hair you NEED to use at least 410 and do at least 7-10 passes. The instructions call for 450 for all non color treated hair. But you can go as low as 410 for normal virgin hair and I would say 450 for coarse virgin hair.  The more passes you do, the better the results you'll get also. So 10 passes IS best for the TREATMENT process  on virgin Afro hair. Another thing, the instructions say to let it sit for 10-30 minutes before you flat iron keratin treatments in. But for Afro hair you NEED  to let it sit under a conditioner cap about an HOUR before you do those 10 passes with the flat iron. Otherwise you're wasting your time for Afro textured hair. Also, do not skimp on product with Afro hair. You NEED to FULLY SATURATE the hair with the keratin solution for Afro hair also otherwise you're wasting your time and money. So depending on the length and thickness, you may need two kits for Afro textured hair. Also, if your hair feels coated, tacky or  "like velcro" during the 3 days you have to keep it straight to process it, just use common sense and apply some natural oil as a lubricant after you've flat ironed it and it will be just  fine for those 3 days.
I advise all ladies, natural or relaxed to get the UNCURLY product or Keratin Research's Keratin Treatment and use at least a 410 degree flat iron for hair in the  type 4  or higher.  I WAS a 3b/c and now I have 2a straight hair with no curl, just a bit of random wave and I LOVE IT!  My hair feels well conditioned, healthy and strong even though it is straight.

Keratin treatments are the bomb. I advise relaxed ladies to switch to them instead of relaxer because relaxers are so damaging. Even if it makes your hair texlaxed looking instead of bone straight, the benefits are well worth it for length retention and for the health of your hair.  And I advise natural ladies who want  more manageability, looser curls, less shrinkage and more styling options to try them too! Remember, type 4 ladies will likely look texlaxed or like type 3 with this at best as opposed to straight or wavy because it is primarily a chemical free method. But it DOES have some effects with continued use! The first one will likely only look like a mild texturizer. But the next time you do a full treatment within a month or so, it will look looser. If you don't want it any looser, then obviously you would just treat your roots like a touchup at that time instead of doing a full treatment again as advised. But most people will want the best results possible so you can do a full treatment on the full strand each time. It is keratin and strengthens and conditions the hair while cumulatively texturizing it with each application.  Again I did use the Tresemme 7day as a leave in for a booster with each co wash.  Also I condition with keratin conditioners and co wash instead of shampooing for longer lasting effects.

Highly textured hair can be highly challenging. After going through relaxers, natural, Japanese Straighteners, and finally Brazilian Keratin treatments. I DO finally HIGHLY recommend the last 2  (Japanese straighteners and Brazilian Keratin treatments) as safe options for ALL ladies with highly textured hair. For a Japanese straightener, you can buy One N Only Thermal Ionic Straightener kit in super strength for ladies with type 4 hair from Sally's Beauty. It is a chemical and while it is a LOT gentler than relaxers, it is not as gentle as a Brazilian Keratin Treatment. I used those for 2 years and my hair did well. If you want a very gentle and conditioning option, the Keratin treatments may be for you. It can take a bit longer (a few more applications) to see your smooth results with Keratin treatments. So you have to weigh which option is best for you.  But all of these  options are available to you. Relaxers are so damaging and do not allow length retention for a lot of ladies. Going natural is nice, but a lot of women prefer straighter styles which can be challenging with natural Afro hair. Furthermore, going natural is not the same across the board. Comb outs and styling if you are 3c/4a can be a LOT easier than the same for type 4c/z hair. So some naturals may need a little help to get by. Either way, these are some wonderful options other than relaxers than I can fully recommend after trying them personally.

Edited by LadyAradia - Nov 01 2014 at 12:58pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic