Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

FKA Twigs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 4.43  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FKA Twigs
    Posted: Oct 21 2014 at 12:31am
The blink at the end was everyyythinnnnggg

oh but the girl krumper was wack
Sponsored Links

coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2014 at 12:05am
i dont know what in the world she was saying/singing about for most of it… 
but that was a lovely video Clap

it made me feel good inside 
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2014 at 11:48pm
Bish can DANCE
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2014 at 11:07pm
YASSS BISH WERKK Clap

sweet_n_stuff04 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet_n_stuff04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2014 at 3:13pm
I didn't know that trip-hop was the name for this type of music. I like the song 2 weeks. Kinda reminds me of something Janet Jackson would sing. 
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2014 at 1:34am

Originally posted by <a href=http://www.rookiemag.com/2014/10/fka-twigs-interview/ target=_blank rel=nofollow>Rookie</a> Rookie wrote:

I Can Do All These Things: An Interview With FKA Twigs

On not listening to what anyone else has to say and doing whatever the hell you want!

Collages by FKA twigs.

Collages by FKA twigs.

FKA twigs is a lightning-don’t-strike-twice kind of musician: Her music combines realism and the avant-garde, abrasiveness and vulnerability, intellect and instinct. Born Tahliah Debrett Barnett, she got her stage name during her career as a dancer, from the way her joints cracked when she was warming up (the FKA part stands for “formerly known as”). She danced professionally through her teen years, then she quit to make music full-time. She taught herself to produce music and to direct videos; today, she produces most of her songs and controls all her videos and imagery. The fruit of all her hard work is a very personal world that is completely magical and unique, as heard on EP1, EP2, and her latest, the excellent LP1.

This is the second time I’ve spoken to twigs, and each time I’ve been struck by how cool she is. In conversation, she’s a little shy and quiet, but very honest and thoughtful, and when she gets a little more comfortable, she talks and jokes like you’re family. This time around, we talked about being a lifelong professional artist, body image and beauty standards, and what becoming an adult means to her.

JULIANNE: You started dancing when you were a kid, right?

FKA twigs: I was eight. I was just really drawn to it in a really bizarre way. I begged my mum to take me to ballet class for years, but my mum was a dancer and she didn’t want me to get like, sucked into that whole world. But she gave in when I was eight, and I got into ballet and jazz. Eventually I realized that I couldn’t really be a ballet dancer, so I just took it into my own hands to discover the style of dance that suited me.

Why couldn’t you be a ballet dancer?

I don’t have a ballet dancer’s body. My bum sticks out, my pointe isn’t great. I’m sure if I were brought up in New York or London or another city in which they cater to people of different ethnic origins, it wouldn’t have been a thing. I would have just been able to dance and look beautiful within my ability. But I grew up in the country, and back then, when I was 12, you had to be, like, white and blond and a rake and not have an ass and have a pelvis that could tuck under for days. And my body’s just not made like that.

Were you dancing professionally when you were a teenager?

A bit, yeah. I’d gotten my first professional dance gig when I was 13, and I guess there was that fear that my mum had—that world just kind of sucked me up, and I spent the years between 13 and 16 going to London to do dance jobs and modeling jobs that were based on dancing and music. By the time I got to like 15, 16, I was very disillusioned about what I wanted to do. I was feeling really lost, and thinking that I just wanna be normal. I just wanna be a normal person, and not do all these things. So I just stopped. Because I wasn’t that kid—I never wanted to be on The Mickey Mouse Club or get that type of attention.

So I just gave it up. I went to Croydon College, did my A-levels, and started singing in youth centers and doing youth work, teaching other young people how to play music and write poetry and how to sing. I was a youth worker for like two or three years, then the government cut the funding, so I got sacked, basically.

I was really upset, because that was my job! I wanted to be an art therapist, I wanted to work with youth and work in the social sector. When it stopped, it was devastating, but it also made me realize I could do things myself, on my own terms. I can dress how I like and make the music that I like, and I can produce it if I want to. I can be a video director as well. I can do all these things.

I think there’s this perception that if you’re a studio geek—if you know loads about production, or you know loads about cameras and can direct all your stuff, or if you’re a songwriter who knows loads about lyrics and stuff—then you can’t get your nails done and you can’t get your hair done and you can’t, like, dress like this. And I just realized that that wasn’t true. So when I started making music and videos, it was on my own terms. I’m 26, and that’s not old for what I’m doing, but it’s not young either—there has been this whole idea for a few years that to be a female artist you have to be like 21, but I don’t really feel like that. I feel like I know exactly what I want, and no one can tell me to do anything I don’t want to do or pose in a way I don’t like or make a song or write something I don’t want to. I guess I got to the point where it’s all me, and only I am to blame, and that feels really great. And if something goes wrong, I am to blame as well—it was my stupid decision, you know what I mean? It feels great! To know that everything is of yourself. Every single decision that I’ve made to become the artist that I’ve become is because I really know what I want, I’m really ambitious, and I really want to be in charge of everything creatively.

Who was your best friend when you were growing up “in the country,” as you say?

I did have a best friend, but [growing up in the country] was hard. I went to an all-white school, and I still remember so many things that people said to me. You know when kids say things and they don’t realize that one sentence might stay with someone for years? I’m mixed race, and my hair is either two things: It’s either beautiful—curly and shiny and suited to humid weather and I feel like the girl from that Michael Jackson video “The Way You Make Me Feel”—or it’s a nightmare, frizzy and dry and all over the place no matter what I do. I spent most of my teen years in that [latter] stage, because I didn’t know how to do my hair. I would try to straighten it, and it just wouldn’t hold.

I remember when I was maybe 13, I went to London, and I saw a girl on the tube who had really nice hair. She looked mixed race, so I was like, “How did you do your hair?” She was like, “You just have to moisturize it and put loads of oil in it and only wear your hair out when it’s a special occasion.” I went out and got some coconut oil, and I put my hair in two braids, and I felt good about it. You know when you’re young and you start to take pride in your appearance? It’s not necessarily in a vain way, it’s just, like, I’m getting older, and my mum doesn’t do my hair anymore. You just start to become more independent.

So, then, I’m in history class, and the girl who was supposed to be my best friend turned around and was like, “Ew, your hair’s so greasy.” Like that. It hurt my feelings so bad. It was really hard, because I just didn’t fit in. I remember when I was 12, they made fun of me because I had a moustache.

Oh my god, I’m sorry. Kids can be so mean!

I’m over it! It’s just really funny. I guess as you get older you learn to embrace things. I always think to myself, like, Neneh Cherry has a moustache! Whenever I see her I think, That is so cute! That’s the way I see stuff like that now. But when you’re a teenager, it’s harder.

In my last year or so of secondary school, when I was about 16, Beyoncé came out with “Crazy in Love,” and Christina Milian came out with “AM to PM.” Before that, it was about Britney, Avril Lavigne, Christina Aguilera—all these really cute white girls who defined what the boys were fancying. Then that year, there was this boom of all these light-skinned black stars, and all of a sudden I was the sh*t. I was hanging out with the popular girls; I’d gone from people literally scribbling out my face in school photos and writing ugly next to it, to, two years later, having everything be fine—all of a sudden I was really cute. At the time I was super androgynous—I had short hair and I dressed like a boy—and suddenly it was cool to dress the way I did, and I was the most desirable thing on earth. I always called bullsh*t on that!

It was right after that that I left my hometown with my mum and moved to London and just completely started a new life. And then from like 17 to 22, I went back to having no friends.

It seems like London would be a place where you could thrive!

I was so shy. And the kids in London were so much more cultured. I was just Tahliah—a shy mixed-race girl with a farmer’s accent.

What does it mean to have a farmer’s accent?

Where I’m from, it’s really rural, and people talk in a country accent. When I moved to London, people would be like, “You’re a farmer!” I was like, “No, I’m not a farmer!” [Laughs] When I say I had no friends, literally I knew like four and a half people in college. It was just me and my mum hanging out every day.

Were you lonely?

I don’t really believe in being lonely. I believe in being alone, but if you’re lonely, that’s just bringing some extra emotions into it. Loneliness is self-indulgent. There’s always something to do when you’re alone.

But then, I met Carri Munden by chance—the girl who started Cassette Playa. And Carri completely and utterly changed my life. It was crazy. I met her at a concert somewhere. We spoke briefly, and I was like, Oh my god, that girl is SO COOL. I started stalking her on MySpace—I messaged her all the time and she’d write me back with messages that were like one-third the length of mine [laughs] and I’d get so excited! I didn’t have a computer, so I’d go to the internet café and check to see if she’d written me back. She was styling Billionaire Boys Club at the time, and she used me for something, and then she used me for her lookbook a couple times. Then she introduced me to basically everyone who helped start my career: Matthew Stone, who did the i-D cover; Grace LaDoja, with whom I did my first film work; Sharmadeen Reid, who does Wah Nails—she had me play her Wah Nails party in New York, and that was the first show in New York that I’d done as twigs.

When I met Carri, I was just a confused 19-year-old, not knowing how I wanted to be, but knowing I had so many ideas and so much inside me, and she was the first and only person who saw it. One time she said to me, “Who are you going as for Halloween?” I was like, “I think I’m gonna go as Edward Scissorhands.” And she was like, “You should go as Tank Girl.” I was like, “Who is Tank Girl?” And she said, “You’re Tank Girl. Just google it.” So I googled Tank Girl, and I was like, Oh my god, I am Tank Girl. From that point on, everything clicked into place: how I wanted to dress, what type of woman I was, and how I wanted to be.

The thing I really loved about Carri was that she was really productive and forward-thinking, and really prominent in the scene, but she was also very vulnerable, very kind, and very sensitive. She’s still one of my best friends.

twigs1

You said you met Carri at a concert, but you were so shy back then—do you remember how you started talking?

It’s really weird! I was there alone, and she was standing next to me, talking to her friend about how to make your coochie taste good. [Laughs] I knew how, so I spoke up: “Don’t eat asparagus, don’t eat too much red meat, and drink pineapple juice.” I just came out with it! And I remember her being like, “Whoa!” She started pissing herself laughing, and that’s how we started talking.

What concert was it?

I think it was Kanye West!

I’m curious about the tomboy style you mentioned earlier. What was your choice to wear menswear about?

I am very petite, and my build is very athletic, from dancing and running. In the ’90s, you had to be this size zero to be considered beautiful, then in 2010 it was like “real women have curves,” but I wasn’t like that, so I basically rebelled by wearing only Uniqlo menswear or, if I was going out, a suit jacket from a charity shop. I felt really awkward about myself and about my body, so I just had to have everything really covered all the time. My body basically hasn’t changed since I was 16 years old, everything is basically the same.

I just did this video for “Pendulum,” and I full-on look like an adult! I’m like, When did that happen? I don’t even know! I only figured out in the past year that I’m not skinny, and I’m not curvy, I’m just really strong. That is me, and that’s really beautiful as well. People don’t really talk about athletic women. It’s a whole segment of women who are completely missed out.

You know my music video “Hide“? That is me, too, and nobody really knew that was me. I made it when I was 23, and that was the moment when I thought, Well, if I’m basically naked in my first music video, then I just can’t really feel insecure. Does that make sense? “Hide” is objectifying of women, because that’s how I was feeling at the time. It’s about breaking up with somebody and feeling like sh*t about yourself, so I thought it would be really brave to be naked but not have a head! Because as soon as you have a face and you smize into the camera, it becomes really sexy, and I didn’t want it to be sexy. I wanted it to be awkward. I really thought people were going to say horrible things, but they never did.

Something else I’ve learned, though, is that you can’t please everybody. Not everyone is gonna find you attractive! I’m not the most beautiful girl in the world—I’m just not, and I’m never gonna be, and I don’t even know how to help you with that! I’m small, and my eyes are too far apart, and I’ve got two weird front teeth. When I first came to America, my manager was like, “We’ll have to get your teeth fixed.” I saved up all my money to get these veneers, and I had all the initial work done—they have to do all this work on your gums—and then I was like, Oh my god, what the am I doing? This is an awful, terrible idea! So I paid for like half the treatment but never got the veneers done. I wasted about £900 [about $1,450].

I am very glad that you did not do that!

It would not be me! You just have to be yourself. It’s really not that hard! You just need to stop going on Instagram so much, because that sh*t is not real. I do not look like that in real life! It’s a professional photographer and Photoshop!

Is that why a good amount of your artwork, like the “Water Me” video, is sort of exaggerated and blown-out?

Yes. I want everyone to know it’s not real. But even on my Instagram, people will say “Oh my god, ILY Twigs, you’re so perfect, I wish I could be you.” I tell them that I’m not perfect, it’s not true. I hate the way young girls think sometimes, it’s so depressing. They’ll write, “Why can’t I look like FKA Twigs?” I’m just like, no, you don’t understand—I cried in the mirror as a teenager.

Another thing I want to talk to you about is this idea of learning. Basically, you have to keep on learning—it will distract you from all the bullsh*t that we’re talking about. Two years ago, I couldn’t produce [music]; I learned how to do it in literally two years. I found it really difficult to program when I started, then I had this leap of confidence to actually get in front of the computer and learn how to do it. It was a massive challenge, because I am not a very logical person at all. It’s about facing your fears. If you do that, you realize that you can actually do anything you want to do! It’s been the most liberating experience.

Last week, I bumped into a very famous music artist. She started talking to me about her nails and her hair extensions, and how getting this stuff done makes her feel like a woman, and she has to have so much money to get this stuff done because she’s a woman and that’s what being a woman is. I thought to myself, That’s very interesting, because what makes me a woman is when I know I’ve produced a song myself—when I’ve found an artist to work with, given him a beat to work on and told him what I wanted, and he’s given it back to me and it’s what I’d envisioned as a producer. Or when I’ve made a video and released it into the world. That’s what makes me feel like a woman. Like, anything else— how tall I am or how long my hair is! This is the absolute epitome of what makes me feel like an adult, and like I’m handling my business. I’ve sat in front of my computer at three o’clock in the morning and I’ve made something myself that I had to learn how to do that was very difficult. When you find something easy, that’s a talent, but when you find something difficult, that’s when you get to really work and push and challenge yourself. I’m not saying that [that artist’s] image is invalid, because that might be where she gets her power from. Everyone is different. But for me, there’s something about learning that makes me feel the most adult I’ve ever felt.

I’m so happy as well, because I’m not crying about stupid sh*t! I’m busy, I’m doing things, and it’s an amazing feeling. If someone’s stupid or someone’s mean, I’m just like, OK, love and light, go what you need to do, I’m busy! It feels amazing to be this way. ♦

coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2014 at 12:23am
she looks good. 

" her majesty" adele? 
i havent seen her in forever. 
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2014 at 12:10am

FKA TWIGS LOOKING FLAWLESS WHILE PERFORMING IN LONDON / HER MAJESTY ADELE ATTENDS THE GIG

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

FKA twigs shows off her toned arms while wowing the crowd with a performance on Wednesday (October 8) in London, England.

"Thank you so much for all of your love! Been working really hard this week and can't wait to share everything that I have made with you <3," the 26-year-old English singer recently tweeted.

Adele dresses in head-to-toe black to make a rare public appearance at FKA twigs' gig at London's Hackney Empire

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2014 at 3:45pm

‘I never really saw anything wrong with how I looked, it was more that certain people pointed things out to you about yourself.

‘Either your hair’s different, or the colour of your skin, or your features. Half of my life I’ve had people staring at me because they think I’m funny-looking and ugly.’

However, twigs manages to put things in perspective.

‘The other half of my life I’ve had people staring at me because they think I’m fascinating,’ she said. ‘Everything neutralizes. It’s more of a statement on society and how weird it is.’

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by K_Camille K_Camille wrote:

She looks stupid with her mouth agape like that.  It's not cute.  A

IA
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>